Self Sabotage! Why? How to stop?

Options
Why do I self-sabotage whenever I seem to start making progress?
It seems if I loose a few kg's or hit a goal; I binge or give up instead of keeping up my good work. I always do it. Why cant I break the cycle?

Replies

• suzanneellers
    suzanneellers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you already know this but.....self sabotaging is extremely normal. The best way I know to keep it in check is to remind myself that I am allowed to surpass the goal. Then work on managing the sabotaging so it doesn't consume all of the progress, like having cheat days.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to implement drastic changes in a short time period? That can be really difficult and lead to feelings of deprivation and resentment.

if this is the case, maybe trying to change one thing at a time, or just starting a bit more slowly and easing in will keep you from getting burned out.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    do you really believe that you can do it? lose all the weight that you want, get to your goal whatever are they? i use to do the same, i wouldn't use the word sabotage but basically the same that you describe, hell even now that i have being doing this for a while i ask myself ; do you (i) really believe that you're gonna lose 100 lbs :s , it's hard but i take it a day at a time and trust that doing my best everyday will eventually get me to accomplish my goal. (*)

good luck in your journey! i'm a truly believer that 'mind controls body' and that has been the key to my success so far, perfecting that art.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. I find not weighing too frequently actually prevents me from sabotaging my efforts. I don't get that "hooray, I'm down two pounds - pass the peanut butter balls!" reaction. Also, be dedicated and honest in your logging no matter what. Maybe you can minimize your binges by tracking them better. There is a big difference in exceeding your calorie goal for the day and all-out binging.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I sooo know what you mean. I tend to sabotage myself every single time I reach a specific low weight. 70kg (154lbs) is a trigger for me. It's been going on for 15+ years.
    It's completely related to my own story. I've identified the triggers and I know now why it's happening.
    Unless you get to the roots of why YOU're doing this to yourself, no trick will work.
    The most common reason is that people do not feel like they actually deserve success.
    A part of us is screaming that we will fail at some point so why bother.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Are you over-restricting?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    miss_seza wrote: »
    Why do I self-sabotage whenever I seem to start making progress?

There are basically two choices. Either you have the discipline to do this, but deep down don't really care about making it a priority. Or you don't have the discipline to do this, in which something like 12-step might be useful.

Everything else is pretty much a variation of one of these two.
  • shellyworch76
    shellyworch76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, glad to know I'm not the only one who does this. Good luck though, keep up the good work!
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can break this. You have to treat this like something else in your life that you just do. This is no different than brushing your teeth or washing your hair. These are habits you had to adopt. Let's face it, as kids we could have cared less, but now we do those things because we "have to". So now this thing about proper food, proper proportions and proper exercise - you just have to. You can do it. Fall down, get up and start again, not tomorrow - right now. Go girl!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I sooo know what you mean. I tend to sabotage myself every single time I reach a specific low weight. 70kg (154lbs) is a trigger for me. It's been going on for 15+ years.
    It's completely related to my own story. I've identified the triggers and I know now why it's happening.
    Unless you get to the roots of why YOU're doing this to yourself, no trick will work.
    The most common reason is that people do not feel like they actually deserve success.
    A part of us is screaming that we will fail at some point so why bother.

This...so much of it for me is this. I had to get to the root of why I self-sabotage in order to recognize it and have steps in place to prevent me from sabotaging myself further. It doesn't mean that I succeed, mind you. It takes daily practice and being mindful of your goals and why you want to achieve them.

Good luck to you!