DFW area, 38, doing MF/TSFL 5&1

I'll keep it short.
My husband was encouraged to do the Medifast/Take Shape For Life "5 & 1" diet after being diagnosed with diabetes. I decided to join him since I had put on a lot of pounds thanks to medication side effects (hello antidepressants.) Plus I didn't think it would be fair to him if I flaunted foods that he couldn't eat. So we've been doing this for about 2 1/2 months. He's doing great since he has the benefit of 2 weight loss medications. I'm struggling like hell. Once upon a time, I was anorexic and bulimic. Those old habits and thoughts are banging on the door and I'm trying to fight them off. I haven't been this self-conscious in 20+ years. Hoping to meet new friends here and desperately needing support & motivation.

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Personally I'm no fan of 'diets' per se, I do wish you all the best with it should you wish to continue on that path.
    I find that opting for a more general healthy lifestyle is much more rewarding and managable long term (once these diets 'end' they leave you with no net to keep you on the right path).

Simply logging what you consume and keeping to a reasonable calorie defecit will give you great results.

All the best to both you and your husband.
  • It's wonderful that you're so supportive of your husband, and I hope that chatting with others here will help you work through the difficulties you're having. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • madigan731
    madigan731 Posts: 26 Member
    Still trying to learn my way around here - someone sent me a friend request and I tapped the wrong button. Sorry! Can't remember the name, but she asked if I was drinking 2 shakes per day. No, actually, I'm not a fan of the shakes. It's the crunch bars, cereals, soft bakes and the snacky-type Medifast meal-replacements that seem to be my weakness. I binged yesterday on the brownies, blueberry muffins and crunch bars. Kicking myself for that. =(
  • andersonnikkic
    andersonnikkic Posts: 6 Member
    I don't know how to add friends on here yet either. I started medifast 3 weeks ago and I'm 38 too! :)
  • madigan731
    I don't know how to add friends on here yet either. I started medifast 3 weeks ago and I'm 38 too! :)

I'm such a dork - just now saw the little notification thingie. #facepalm
    - Friend request message sent.
  • mintchocolategirl
    mintchocolategirl Posts: 34 Member
    madigan, I am 5 days into the program for the first time and looking for support as well from people currently going thru the program and those who are success stories. I've never used the boards here on MFP before, so I'm not sure how this all works.
  • madigan731
    madigan, I am 5 days into the program for the first time and looking for support as well from people currently going thru the program and those who are success stories. I've never used the boards here on MFP before, so I'm not sure how this all works.

Mintchocolate (*whimper* craving!) one of the MFP members created a forum specifically for TSFL/MF folks to give/get support since we seem to be a minority. Sending you a friend request and that link.
  • mintchocolategirl
    mintchocolategirl Posts: 34 Member
    Thanks, madigan - haven't seen the link come through yet, only the friend request. I certainly have a bunch of questions and could use a forum! LOL...I was thinking the other day what a poor choice of user names I picked for a healthy eating site! :)