Body types and set points and weight. . . . Oh my!

Options
2»

Replies

• Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I believe that many things impact our weight, some we have little control over and some we have a lot of control over. For example, some people find hunger intolerable, while others cope and even enjoy the feeling of hunger. These differences can have a meaningful impact on body weight.

Here's a PMC article that discusses the theory of set point, settling point and other models. You can read the full text here.

Abstract
    "The close correspondence between energy intake and expenditure over prolonged time periods, coupled with an apparent protection of the level of body adiposity in the face of perturbations of energy balance, has led to the idea that body fatness is regulated via mechanisms that control intake and energy expenditure.

Two models have dominated the discussion of how this regulation might take place. The set point model is rooted in physiology, genetics and molecular biology, and suggests that there is an active feedback mechanism linking adipose tissue (stored energy) to intake and expenditure via a set point, presumably encoded in the brain. This model is consistent with many of the biological aspects of energy balance, but struggles to explain the many significant environmental and social influences on obesity, food intake and physical activity. More importantly, the set point model does not effectively explain the ‘obesity epidemic’ – the large increase in body weight and adiposity of a large proportion of individuals in many countries since the 1980s.

An alternative model, called the settling point model, is based on the idea that there is passive feedback between the size of the body stores and aspects of expenditure. This model accommodates many of the social and environmental characteristics of energy balance, but struggles to explain some of the biological and genetic aspects. The shortcomings of these two models reflect their failure to address the gene-by-environment interactions that dominate the regulation of body weight.

We discuss two additional models – the general intake model and the dual intervention point model – that address this issue and might offer better ways to understand how body fatness is controlled."
  • andymcclure
    andymcclure Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    I'll be logging for life. Because my appetite is not a good guide for me.

I hear that!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    Weight is an interrelation between genetics, health, and environment. Western eating can trump genetics, however. Having access to cheap high sugar/fat foods (and exposure to media that glorifies them) does lead to obesity (even in dogs, low socio-economic status and frequent snacks lead to obesity).

There is some evidence for a set point in weight. If an extreme event takes place causing someone to gain or lose weight, they will tend back towards their original weight range over a couple of years. This "set point" (or set range) is not the only factor in weight, however.

It can look like there is no difference between two people of different weights because the difference in calorie use for weight maintenance and gradual weight gain can be tiny. 100 calories a day could show up as fidgeting lightly, eating an extra chocolate bar every other day, an extra banana every day, dancing in the living room for 30 minutes every other day, or one hour cardio exercise twice a week. And that 100 calories a day can make a 10 pound difference in weight over a year.

Except in the case of medical issues, no one is doomed to obesity. Weight gain can be managed with good habits, and the habits don't need to be extreme (just 100 calories a day), just consistent. So yes, some are naturally "lighter" than others, but keeping track of calories in and out can help almost anyone maintain a healthy weight.
    Probably a good idea to link to this information.
    Not sure what you mean. This is the article I based my post on:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990627/...

Not a study, a review of set point/range literature. Interesting though. If you want I can try to link individual studies to each point...The thing about 100 calories a day is just math - 100 X 365 = 36,500; 36,500/3500 (calories used to burn 1 pound fat) = 10.4 pounds fat lost/year for dancing about 1/2 hour every other day in your living room http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/calories-burned/dancing-general-54
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Height and bone structure is predetermined. Fat mass is determined by calorie intake and expenditure. Calorie intake is regulated by appetite, habits and access. Calorie expenditure is regulated by habits, perceived pleasure from moving and opportunity.

Absolutely!

So, is appetite pre-set by genetics? Or habits? That is kind of what I am investigating.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Height and bone structure is predetermined. Fat mass is determined by calorie intake and expenditure. Calorie intake is regulated by appetite, habits and access. Calorie expenditure is regulated by habits, perceived pleasure from moving and opportunity.

Absolutely!

So, is appetite pre-set by genetics? Or habits? That is kind of what I am investigating.
    Nurture v Nature. You aren't the first to wonder about percentage of those. :)
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Absolutely!

I believe that genetics plays a role, for example the FTO gene risk allele is associated with greater food intake and reduced satiety, but habits and the food environment have a strong impact as well. Genetic susceptibility doesn't necessarily predict destiny, but I do believe that it can be harder for some people because of their biology.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Height and bone structure is predetermined.

Both height and weight are affected by environmental context. The more we know learn about epigentics, the less likely it is seems that either is "predetermined".

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    oriole35 wrote: »
    I think once you put on the weight you make fat cells, when you lose the weight the cells empty but don't go away. So it will be easier to gain it back than it was to put it on in the beginning. This may be the set point people think they are experiencing. Also as you get older you don't burn calories as effectively. Exercise makes me less hungry, being busy makes me forget about food and being tired makes me hungry. Maybe you are always tired?
    You're born with a predetermined amount of fat cells. You can increase the amount, but one would have to be morbidly obese for this to happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    My personal experience has been that my body's tended to settle at a few different points for years at a time, and it mostly depended on my lifestyle. In terms of age ranges, weights, and activities:

Teens: 115
    Early 20s: ~130
    During/after medication: gained and yoyo'd a lot - 150-198
    Late 20s-early 30s: Post-medication, with an office job and walking/transit as activity and lots of eating out and drinking on weekends (I didn't count, but would guess about 2500-3000 calories a day): 170s
    Early-30s: active weight loss - calorie restriction (to ~2000 cals on average) and moderate to vigorous activity 3-5 days a week, less consuming while out: 50 lb loss
    30s: Maintained easily at 124 +/- 2 lbs (weirdly precise) for four years, with same activity as above and only casual calorie counting (~2000-2300, on average)
    Mid-late 30s: injury - ate the way I did when I maintained at 124 but was almost completely sedentary - gained 15 lbs, which I'm trying to lose now

I've always had a big appetite compared to other women my age/height, and I lost and maintained on more than a lot of women do (but not more than active women), which makes me think my metabolism might be on the high side - I think someone else eating and doing what I did might have weighed more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have no science to back this, so take it with a grain of salt. It seems to make sense that body type or genetics or personality or something, would figure in to an extent. Obviously it's all about how much you eat, and our own choice etc., but the learned behaviour between you and your sister would probably be similar, being raised in the same household. I assume we learn a lot of our eating habits as children. So it IS curious why she seems satisfied on enough calories to stay smaller, yet you have tendencies to want to eat until you'd be a few pounds overweight. Worth exploring for sure.
    Habits can change when either routine/work/family life (having a child, illness etc.) change.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is fascinating. I too, seem to have natural set points my weight gravitates towards, no matter what diet I try.

Since I hit menopause I struggle to get below 150lbs but I can maintain at the level quite easily. Prior to that I settled about 135lbs. I am quite small framed and in my teens and twenties I hovered around the 100lb mark with no effort whatsoever.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have no science to back this, so take it with a grain of salt. It seems to make sense that body type or genetics or personality or something, would figure in to an extent. Obviously it's all about how much you eat, and our own choice etc., but the learned behaviour between you and your sister would probably be similar, being raised in the same household. I assume we learn a lot of our eating habits as children. So it IS curious why she seems satisfied on enough calories to stay smaller, yet you have tendencies to want to eat until you'd be a few pounds overweight. Worth exploring for sure.

Kids aren't raised exactly the same. They have different experiences and different personalities. My two daughters have very different eating habits. My younger daughter is much more picky. They also have different personalities, interests, pain tolerance and reactions. And different bodies. My older daughter is much taller (not because of age, she is always going to be taller).