breastfeeding and counting calories

Options
hello there, I had a baby 14 months ago and I am lacking ti motivation to start back up again. I was wondering is anyone could help me get in the right direction with calculating how many calroies I need to lose weight while brestfeeding? thanks all

Replies

• Kristyann624
    Kristyann624 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What I did while bf and pumping was count it as 500 calories of "exercise." That way it compensates for the calories needed to breast feed.

You need to create a new exercise and log it that way. Though I did hate the fact that I couldn't tell exactly how many. I have seen people say a certain number of calories per ounce. But if you're not pumping that that's not easy either.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about her recommendations?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I also have a 14 month old but only nursing about 2-3x per day as she is eating mostly solids at this point. I don't know the exact number but depending on how much you are nursing it usually ranges from 200-500 extra cals. It might take some trial and error to get your numbers right since everyone is different..just make sure you are eating enough and not feeling hungry. Good luck!
  • MommaDSquared
    MommaDSquared Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My baby is nursing a lot still at 15 months but I probably won't bank on an extra 500 cals bc I think it's probably around 2-300 instead. I may try a 1600 diet to start and see how it goes. No two docs will give the same answer, unfortunately they aren't trained much with lactation---especially those of us who bf over a year!!