Sciatica help

Options
I have had severe sciatica for a month now and I am slowly starting to recover with antiinflammatories, chiropractor and a variety of other treatments. Prior to this I ran 1/2 marathons and went to the gym for weight work at least 3x week, my issue is I don't know how I did it and I am really scared to start excercising and running again incase it flares up. I am going crazy not being active! Anyone ever suffer from this? Any advice you can give for beginning to excercise again would be much appreciated. I have heard from others to work more on my core so I will be speaking to a trainer about this in the new year. I am really nervous to do anything!

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I believe in chiropractors and actually see one every month as a maintenance routine because I am a personal trainer and group fitness instructor, but sciattica should be treated by an orthopedist and with physical therapy if it's serious. Once you're cleared for exercise on your own they will give you guidelines that a trainer can work with.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I do this about twice per week and have not had a problem since. I think it is the ball that helps the most but the whole routine is worth doing. I just use a baseball though.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I believe in chiropractors and actually see one every month as a maintenance routine because I am a personal trainer and group fitness instructor, but sciattica should be treated by an orthopedist and with physical therapy if it's serious. Once you're cleared for exercise on your own they will give you guidelines that a trainer can work with.

Sounds like a good thought.

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    definitely see a physiotherapist. i am seeing one for the same problem and the treatments (massage, deep pressure, accupuncture) are working well. better than the chiro did.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I had sciatica, and the only thing that helped was lots of time letting it heal, Lots of time like several years. Sorry for my bad news. Believe me i fought with this for 10 or 15 years, it would heal and i'd pop it again constantly, just doing something simple like stepping wrong, or coughing, or something startling me. After it healed, I spent several years with personal trainers learning proper form for everything i did in the gym and in real life. I also built my core very strong, and it hasn't flared up since. So my suggestion is get a trainer and learn form and technique, and get strong so your muscles protect your skeleton
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I had sciatica on my right side several years ago, and walking was the best for it once I was up to it. I actually found relief walking. Lots of sitting, especially driving (I was doing an urban commute, so lots of on and off on the brake pedal) aggravated it. I eventually introduced gentle yoga and was able to go back to my normal routine, which was light strength training at the time. I was never a runner, so don't know how that pounding might affect it. I also had great results with hot stone massage -- it worked even better than the drugs the doctor gave me. Anyway, I've been completely recovered for several years. Now, I have a rotator cuff injury, but that's another story....
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I started getting bad sciatica flare ups when I was a teenager. I used to skateboard a lot and thought that was what was causing it. But after suffering from it for 20+ years it didnt seem to matter what I eliminated or how long I let it heal it just kept coming back.

Until I started losing weight and lifting weights. This helped fix some of my posture issues and flare ups happened much less often. I still had them from time to time though. Someone recommended DeFranco's routine for hip mobility for doing squats so I gave it a try. Rolling on that ball the very first time was the exact area where I seemed to get the majority of pain. It would ache right through my right side hip from my lower back and into my leg.

The only time I have had any sciatica issues is when I slacked off on doing those stretches and rolling. Not sure it will help the rest of you the same though.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'd see a physical therapist. I thought I had sciatica but it was an issue with my sacroiliac joint. My physical therapist was super helpful and I've never had the issue again (it was during pregnancy).
  • molsen40
    molsen40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can you describe your sciatia symptoms? I may have it, too. I see a chiropractor regularly (for other issues initially), and he has said that it might be something with my sacroiliac joint. How do differentiate between these two conditions? And who should diagnose it?
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Ugh, sciatica is the worst! Mine was due to a lower back disc herniation. During the acute episode I was unable to walk for a few days, cried from the pain, it hurt to breathe etc.

I actually went to a pain management center that has a medical team dealing with all kinds of pain issues. Got an MRI that showed the herniation. They offered me a cortisone shot but I decided to try physical therapy instead. PT 3x a week for about 3 months, then working on core strengthening with a trainer, losing weight etc.

I still have some sciatica but I would say it is more an ache sometimes and not even comparable to that terrifying pain episode.

So: try to get an MRI so you know what's really going on. See what a doctor thinks. A good PT can really help too!

And sorry you are dealing with this :(
  • frankiedb
    frankiedb Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I used to have that. The pain was down butt and groin area, down the back of my leg to my foot. Drove me crazy at times. With me I started using the Abductor and Adductor Machine and It went away. Give it a shot.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but I'm going through this and I'm terrified. I was just walking in the mall and BOOM, a stabbing pain in my lower back began happening only when I stepped a certain way. It almost feels like I might fall, if too severe a stab. It's not happening as often today, but I'm so afraid to do any exercise. I've been
    researching online and will be calling a doctor tomorrow, but I decided to search here and I'm glad I did.

That video "musthavemuscles" posted looks very helpful, after I get diagnosed.

I've been on a really good roll lately, with diet and exercise; losing slowly but steady. Telling myself I must incorparate (sp) strength training soon. I really dislike weights, because it's boring to me, but it looks like my body is forcing me to do it. lol. Getting older is no fun sometimes.

Have a great day!