Military Diet Plan

Options
My 31 yo niece and her husband did the Military Diet Plan over the summer, stuck with it and she lost well over 30 lbs. I saw her at thanksgiving and she looks great. This diet is the opposite of binge eating - which got me to where I am now. It is binge reduction of caloric intake. No, I don't think the military uses this plan, probably got the name because of the discipline it takes to lose weight.

When I read the grocery list, the food is **real** food that you would have in your home. It doesn't focus on low fat or no carbs - it focuses on reducing your calories so you don't feel deprived. Seems sensible to me, you reduce your caloric intake severely for three days and eat sensibly for four. Binge dieting - consistently over several weeks. I gained weight by binge eating, seems like it would be a good way to take it off.

The food on the shopping list is filling, high protein, high fiber and high nutrition - but low calorie. It is quick, easy and a low maintenance way to eat. You are not always in the grocery store looking for unique ingredients or in the kitchen cooking. You are giving your body basic fuel which is really what food should be - fuel - with a little ice cream at the end of the day.

I am going to give it a try, I am on day one and looking forward to progressing on this diet. My plan is to do it every week for the next 12 weeks with light exercise - 3 days on, probably Sunday, Monday and Tuesday which are days I think I can stick with it - 4 days off so I can still socialize with friends and eat a slice of pizza with a beer once in a while and not feel like I completely went off the wagon....

Let me know if anyone else is trying this plan.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you have issues with binge eating, severely restricted calorie intakes are generally not recommended and will often lead to bingeing episodes.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    If you have issues with binge eating, severely restricted calorie intakes are generally not recommended and will often lead to bingeing episodes.

Agreed.

You should be speaking to a therapist or counselor to address the root of your binge eating problem. Embarking on a restrictive diet for three months is probably going to lead to additional binging episodes due to the extremely low calories with this diet, especially since there are 4 "off" days.

Consider speaking with a counselor, and find a healthy balance for yourself so you can reach your goals without fad diets. They do not lead to long term success.

• nynova
    Options
    It would be great if you read the diet before commenting. The food are items like grapefruit, apples, cottage cheese and broccoli. This is not a fad diet and is very similar to weight watchers only you are not constantly looking at 'points'. If you eat the healthy food listed, you reduce. The four days off will be similar food, but not as restrictive.

The root of my binge eating is menopause, are you people for real? I was a steady size 8 until I hit 40 and after that, hot flashes and sleepless nights for ten years lead to weight gain.

The food in this shopping list is a healthy balance, that is the point. Please read it before you try to 'help others'.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I am familiar with the diet, as it has been discussed on the boards numerous times. It doesn't matter whether the food is "healthy" or not, the calorie intake is ridiculously low, and even the off days are low for someone who is also exercising. Proper weight loss means determining the caloric needs for your body and your activity level; there is no one-size-fits-all food intake for everyone.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The calorie intake of that diet is far too low. Restricting your calories too much will lead to an increase of muscle loss. Less muscle, means a slower metabolism, which means less weight loss or even weight gain. Menopause also tends to increase the amount of muscle you lose which can cause weight gain.
  • nynova
    nynova Posts: 6
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My caloric intake for day one was just under 1000 calories which is not ridiculously low for someone whose work day is highly sedentary, exercise is limited, and has the metabolism of a 51 year old woman. Hopefully, your menopausal world doesn't turn you upside down, if it does you are in for one roller coaster ride.

There is no one-size-fits all, correct, so i'll let you know how it works for me. If I fail, I will let you know, but if I succeed, open your mind a little. Fasting has been a part of people's lives all over the world for centuries and this diet is far from fasting. My niece tried everything for the last 4 years to get the extra weight off and this diet worked for her because it is all about moderation without having to focus every minute of the day on food.
  • missiontofitness
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    nynova wrote: »
    It would be great if you read the diet before commenting. The food are items like grapefruit, apples, cottage cheese and broccoli. This is not a fad diet and is very similar to weight watchers only you are not constantly looking at 'points'. If you eat the healthy food listed, you reduce. The four days off will be similar food, but not as restrictive.

The root of my binge eating is menopause, are you people for real? I was a steady size 8 until I hit 40 and after that, hot flashes and sleepless nights for ten years lead to weight gain.

The food in this shopping list is a healthy balance, that is the point. Please read it before you try to 'help others'.

I know exactly what the diet entails.
    It is a very low calorie diet, and it is restrictive in the sense that it is low calories, and on the "on" days, you are only allowed certain foods.
    My original advice still stands. Disagreeing with my post does not mean I was not "helpful", nor was there anything that warranted an abuse flag. It is the standard advice you will find from me, and many others on this website when someone is or has struggled with binging, regardless of its cause.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,
    davis_em
This discussion has been closed.