Weight loss secret?

Options
Just curious as to what everyone's "secret" is to weight loss success? Mine would be plain oatmeal and coffee w/o sugar. My exercise secret would include interval sprinting. Interested on some tips from you guys! :)

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    My big weight loss secret is to eat less calories than I burn. I eat everything in moderation.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    My big weight loss secret is to eat less calories than I burn. I eat everything in moderation.

Yup.

Eat less, and I'll add: move more.

Plain oatmeal? bleh. Why waste your calories choking down that?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

Yup.

I put peanut butter and fruit with almond milk on mine. Maybe I'll add some brown sugar to it next time. :)
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Consistently meeting my calorie and exercise goals. I don't give up any foods, so I don't feel deprived and binge. I make special events and dinners out fit, so that this can last long term.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

Yup.

I put peanut butter and fruit with almond milk on mine. Maybe I'll add some brown sugar to it next time. :)

Yum@peanut butter and oatmeal, that's a winning flavor combo right there. I like blending some oats in smoothies. If I'm having oatmeal hot, I use sugar-free syrup to sweeten it with a little milk, or sometimes a ripe banana and some strawberries if they're handy.
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Plain oatmeal keeps me full for long periods, if I add peanut butter it extends that even further. Usually I eat it a few hours before a workout.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    When anyone mentions secret, it makes me despair, just like when I hear cheat day. Tip would be better.

As mentioned no secrets, but there are effective things I find helpful beyond the eat at a deficit and move more.

Knowledge helps me understand what i need to do.
    Planning helps me to pace myself and keep realistic expectations plus make everything effective.
    Focus helps me to Keep on track and understand why I am eating in moderation and slogging my guts out at the gym.
    Taking responsibility/ mindset for my own actions helps me to feel more in control.

Things I like, oats, consistent gyming, vegetables, honesty and responsibility.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    OP did put secret in inverted commas, just replace it in your head with 'tip' if you prefer.

What she is asking is still the same, regardless of word semantics.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Yep. There isn't any real secret.
  • carlenemccullough
    Options
    I eat oatmeal too add apple or orange for more flavor. Cinnamon reduce you sugars so add too coffee and really good on oatmeal. Eat a once of almond a day it help you loss wait.
    OP did put secret in inverted commas, just replace it in your head with 'tip' if you prefer.

What she is asking is still the same, regardless of word semantics.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Eating foods I like at a calorie defecit; weighing and logging everything; becoming a regular gym goer wearing my HRM and dog walker; wearing my fitbit every day to calculate my TDEE; already thinking about how to manage maintenance

OP I also like oatmeal, made with water and sweetened with honey. I also love toast laden with cottage cheese, avocado and tomato and I make sure my fridge has 2 big pots of meals I can dip into for lunch during the weekdays that have around 350 to 400 calories dependent on quantity
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Eating what I enjoy but in moderation, exercising more and when bored finding things to do rather than things to eat ;)
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My (not so secret) weight loss plan was to eat whatever I want within a calorie deficit every single day, and move a lot more. This has been the only thing that was sustainable for me.
    Fad diets, extreme diets or diets that cut out certain foods have never worked for me. I love to eat and will always love food... By eating whatever I crave makes keeps me content and I can stick with it for a lifetime.
    I also chew lots of sugarless gum whenever I feel snackish!
  • tigerlily_
    tigerlily_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My secret is those big bags of pre-prepared salad leaves. Soooo much food for so few calories. Beefs up any low cal meal.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    There is no secret and no one is trying to trick you. ;-) Eat less than you burn + move more than you have.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My weight loss "secret" is to move more. I lost weight last year by riding my bicycle, but I didn't ride through the winter and I gained it all back. This winter, my plan is to keep riding, and it is working. I feel a lot better after I ride, so I don't tend to stuff my face as much. But if I do, the exercise lessens the impact of my winter eating. I much prefer being in a situation where overeating means I don't lose weight as quickly, rather than it meaning I gain weight.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    As most have said, there is no secret. It is simple, eat less calories than you burn. Simple, but never easy.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My secret is that logging -- above anything else, logging -- brings the awareness and then the control that I've always lacked. Logging inspires the better food choices, the lower portion sizes, the calorie deficit, and the better control necessary for losing weight.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I got a job that is active (and also a lot of fun). I am getting paid to lose weight! I even stopped paying much attention to what I ate and stopped logging for a few weeks and still kept losing. Super easy!
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My secret is that there is no secret. Just plain old grit and hard work. I log accurately and allow myself occasional treats. This is not something that I'm doing just for weight loss but a whole new way of eating.