Weight loss/anti depressants

Options
My doctor put me on anti depressant meds a few months ago and just now tells me that's why I'm not losing weight and as long as I am on them..I won't lose anything (unless I weightlift). Need help on how to try to lose weight..what are ur suggestions!

Replies

• lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Well definitely do not stop taking them but maybe you need some structured exercise if you aren't already doing it? Otherwise review your goals to have a greater deficit.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Most antidepressants are not associated with weight gain or difficulty losing. Research the particular drug you are on for a full list of side effects, but even if weight gain is one, it doesn't mean you can't lose weight, it will just mean it will be a bit harder.

I would definitely suggest increasing your exercise if you can, since it has so many mood enhancement benefits, in addition to the caloric burn and general health benefits.

If you still find it is much harder to maintain or lose weight, talk you doctor about possibly switching to a different drug. As I said, most modern antidepressants do not have weight gain as a side effect.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If your anti-depressants are working without side effects, you don't want to mess with that, but almost ALL of them make it hard to lose weight (except Wellbutrin). There is NOTHING wrong with lifting weights (two to three times a week). I recommend getting the gym to put you on a program if you are new to it. Up your protein and fresh fruit and veggies to help you feel fuller and add stretching and cardio a couple days a week as well. Weight lifting can make you hungrier though, so make sure you track your calories. Please don't get discouraged if it is slow, that's the best way to do it anyway.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight on antidepressants, you need to monitor your intake closely and weightlifting is a good idea regardless.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start logging your food and eat at a deficit.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Some people gain on antidepressants and some people lose. I think increasing exercise might help. My daughter is very short (5'1") and wt loss has always been hard. She started running and worked up to half-marathons and then did a full-marathon. With all of the runnng she did, she just couldn't lose that last 15 pounds. The running just didn't so it. She joined a challenge at work with a bunch of girls who joined a 3 month challenge at a gym called Physzique. It was some pretty intensive exercise led by trainers. (Biggest Loser-style.) It worked beautifully and she lost the 15 extra pounds that she had been unable to lose. I have not seen her look as good since high school.
  • Fatkat121212
    Options
    I think it depends on the one you take.
    I am currently taking them and have lost 38 kg this year.
    Which one are you taking?
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm on them and the only time I gain is when I eat like crap.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Most antidepressants are not associated with weight gain or difficulty losing. Research the particular drug you are on for a full list of side effects, but even if weight gain is one, it doesn't mean you can't lose weight, it will just mean it will be a bit harder.

I would definitely suggest increasing your exercise if you can, since it has so many mood enhancement benefits, in addition to the caloric burn and general health benefits.

If you still find it is much harder to maintain or lose weight, talk you doctor about possibly switching to a different drug. As I said, most modern antidepressants do not have weight gain as a side effect.

That's incorrect. Most antidepressants are associated with weight gain and difficulty losing. Antidepressants are notorious for weight gain and are directly linked to metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes. They are believed to affect metabolism. I am the perfect example of this. I gained 111 lbs within 3 years from antidepressants AND developed insulin resistance due to the drugs (all while being a competitive gymnast… training 5 days a week, 3 hours each day). Before beginning antidepressants, I was a whopping 95-97 lbs and couldn't gain a pound no matter how much I ate. Before antidepressants, I had a RMR well above 2000 calories/day and now my RMR is roughly 1411 calories/day. That just goes to show that antidepressants can cause metabolic abnormalities.

ETA: I have been on basically every SSRI, SNRI, and TCA and they all had the same effect... Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Effexor, Tofranil, Klonopin (benzo), Ativan (benzo), Pamelor, Vivactil, etc.
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I took anti-depressants for a year while I was in marching band and I gained over 20 pounds. For some reason, I had a LOT more food while on those meds. The weight gain just contributed to the depression. I drank a lot more water and that seemed to help, but I ultimately couldn't start losing weight until my doctor took me off of them =(
  • Alessa71
    Options
    Not only do the drugs differ in impact, but every body reacts differently. I am surprised a doctor would simply say you will not be unable to lose weight. Plenty of people do while people also gain. It's not out of your control though. Clearly your food and exercise will be the greatest determinants. Just as a point of info, I lost weight on them. It doesn't mean some
  • Alessa71
    Options
    ^^it doesn't mean someone else will or will not, but it's possible.
  • catlover66666
    catlover66666 Posts: 3
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Even though I have been on an antidepressant (i.e. sertraline) for several years, I have been able to lose weight. I just watch my portion sizes, eat a lot of fruits/veggies/lean protein/whole grains and I exercise (brisk fitness walking) 5-6 days a week for up to an hour. I have been losing 1-2 pounds a week from doing this. Since August 4th I have lost 21 pounds and I am 30 pounds away from goal. Since the holidays have been here, my weight loss has plateaued. But I haven't really gained. I've kept up with the exercise so that's probably why. You can do it if you really want to!!! I sure feel better and I love how my clothes fit me now, too!
  • lewispwest
    Options
    As with others above, I've been on anti-depressants since a week before I started my diet in April and I've lost 70 odd pounds in that time (taking off christmas weight gain!) so it's not a death sentence, you just have to work around it.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Which one are you on? I've been fine losing on Citalopram
  • lewispwest
    Options
    Which one are you on? I've been fine losing on Citalopram

Yeah that's what I've been on and lost fine (at least for the first six months)

• gin_fb33
    Options
    I had 0 weight gain while being on WelbutrinXL and have not had problems losing weight (except when I eat too much, eg. christmas... oops). And when I was on Effexor years ago, I lost weight because it killed my appetite (along with everything else I could possible feel). So it really is person to person. I've found that lately I don't need to be on my meds anymore (Drs are aware I'm off) simply from exercise and healthier eating (not saying you should come off them, just that it definitely helps a lot for some people).
  • engagedprincess
    engagedprincess Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm on fluoxetine (Prozac), risperidone and tegrotol. It may take some extra work for me to lose weight but it's not impossible. I've lost 39lbs...
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I've been on Sertraline for over 20 years. Lost 60 pounds since June 1. I can't blame the drugs.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I've taken a host of psychiatric medications over the years, including some BIG time gainers like Seroquel, Zyprexa, and Dalmane - and have successfully lost over 100 pounds. It can be challenging but it is NOT impossible. You will likely have to do some work around finding what YOUR personal metabolism is set at, given that the medication you take has the potential to affect that (not that the meds ALWAYS affect metabolism, but it is a possibility you cannot deny). Your personal Calories In / Calories Out equation may be different than average and you will need to do some experimenting to figure out just how different it is in order to calculate *your* personal intake needs. But it is not as catastrophic as to be IMPOSSIBLE as your doctor has apparently indicated.