Cups of Water

Options
Hello,

I'm new to this site and it doesn't really state it anywhere but I'm presuming that the 8 cups of water is to measure your fluid intake rather than actual cups of water.

For example people have tea or coffee, soft drinks like Pepsi Max have no calorific impact and are just carbonated water with a sodium solution, dilute drinks are similar. I assume all drinks that contain water as the primary liquid count towards this count because I rarely drink unflavoured/from the tap water but always make sure to keep myself hydrated.

Just thinking that might be a useful note to put at the side of the "Cups of Water" monitor on the Food Journal so people aren't drinking like 8 cups of water & 4 cups of tea and a can of coke in a day.

Replies

• teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    No, it is to measure your water intake. Some people use it to measure some other things, but the website says it is for water. Right next to the cups of water it says

Water Consumption

We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. Click the arrows to add or subtract cups of water.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm new to this site and it doesn't really state it anywhere but I'm presuming that the 8 cups of water is to measure your fluid intake rather than actual cups of water.

For example people have tea or coffee, soft drinks like Pepsi Max have no calorific impact and are just carbonated water with a sodium solution, dilute drinks are similar. I assume all drinks that contain water as the primary liquid count towards this count because I rarely drink unflavoured/from the tap water but always make sure to keep myself hydrated.

Just thinking that might be a useful note to put at the side of the "Cups of Water" monitor on the Food Journal so people aren't drinking like 8 cups of water & 4 cups of tea and a can of coke in a day.

Why can't someone drink this much? Your reasoning isn't sound...good lord.

can easily do 8 cups of water, 4 cups of coffee and a gallon of ice tea every day.. not a problem.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    No, it is to measure your water intake. Some people use it to measure some other things, but the website says it is for water. Right next to the cups of water it says

Water Consumption

We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. Click the arrows to add or subtract cups of water.

that's actually not correct...it's all liquids you drink...coffee, tea, milk, water...etc

Technically, teagirl is correct. That's what MFP says about it. If you want to log everything you drink in that section, that's your prerogative. For me, I use it only for water and log anything else I drink up in the food section because the other liquids have caloric and other macro content.

• robowolfmega1986
    robowolfmega1986 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It says water consumption. While tea and coffee do have water in them, you have to be careful as to the type. Caffeinated tea and coffee actually dehydrate instead of hydrate you and so you need water to re-hydrate your system. But if you drink decaf, you should be okay. If you need a chart of good and not so good, here's a site I found rather useful. http://www.nutrifitga.com/upload//fluidintake.pdf
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I only count water. Coffee, pop with caffeine etc are diuretics and have a dehydrating effect. I aim for 12 cups. The more you drink the better you feel. Also if I have an alcoholic beverage I will have a cup of water for each one in addition to what I take. alcohol is also very dehydrating
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Count all your fluids as water.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I count water as water and nothing else.

It's true that many foods are mostly water, so I could count them. Coffee and juice certainly are mostly water, so I could count them.

I count water as water and the other stuff gets logged where calories apply.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I never log zero calorie liquids. I just know that I drink enough every day. Make it a habit so you don't have to pay attention to fluid intake.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It says water consumption. While tea and coffee do have water in them, you have to be careful as to the type. Caffeinated tea and coffee actually dehydrate instead of hydrate you and so you need water to re-hydrate your system. But if you drink decaf, you should be okay. If you need a chart of good and not so good, here's a site I found rather useful. http://www.nutrifitga.com/upload//fluidintake.pdf

Tea and coffee both provide net hydration. The amount of caffeine required to negate the water and result in dehydration is well beyond what is in any serving.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    Yes technically MFP does say water and not all liquids.

But it doesn't really matter if you count just water or count other non calorie drinks as well, like diet sodas or black coffee.

Or don't count fluids at all.

Whether you lose weight or not is really down to your calorie intake/output, not how many glasses of water you drink.
  • Helen2048
    Options
    I say that it is up to you. Don't worry to much about it. Just make sure you get enough fluids inside you. I am a strong believer in that your body being very good in telling you if their is something wrong. If it is dehydrated it will let you know through dry lips, sleepiness, etc...
  • Helen2048
    Options
    PS I have also heard that you should aim for 3 clear urinations per day. How true this is I have no idea, but if all you are doing is rushing to the loo after you drink then you probably are drinking too much :D