frustrated at cravings

Options
Does anyone know what I can do to curb cravings for sweets? I am trying to lose weight before a major surgery in Feburary. At first I was doing well and lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks. Then, I hit a plateau and didn't lose or gain for another 2 weeks. Then, last week, I gained a pound.

Lately, though, I have noticed that I have been craving sweets like crazy! I don't know why I am craving them so much, but its really starting to bug me. I don't want to gain back the pounds I have lost already, but with all the temptations the past week due to Christmas, I have been wanting sweets badly.

How does everyone else cope with this?

Jessie

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Howdy, PrettyKitty! As for me, I find the easiest way not to crave something is to eat it in moderation. For example, the 1750 calories I ate today included THREE Christmas cookies--a sugar cookie, a rumball, 1/2 pecan finger, and 1/2 santa's whisker. If this is to be a life change and not a quick fix, yummy foods must be part of my diet! You might also consider low-calorie or non-caloric sweeteners. I had a few "Bai 5" this week. :)
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Usually if I'm craving sweets very badly it means one of two things.... Either it's that TOM or my vitamin d level is low again. I have no clue how my Dr put together unbelievable sugar cravings and low vitamin d, but the cravings stopped after she put me on supplements. If it continues past New Year's maybe mention it to your Dr? If the cravings are unbelievable and not just holiday sweets cravings it could mean a health issue.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Those 9 lbs. you lost the first two weeks were mostly water. You'll regain the water weight when you stop eating at a deficit. A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for each 25 lbs. you need to lose.

As CA_Underdog said, deprivation can lead to bingeing. Eat "good" 80% of the time, and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal.

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's default protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignore fat & carbs. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat sweets, I crave more sweets. My particular issue with sugar isn't common, but there are plenty who, like me, have experienced a huge relief after giving up desserts entirely. No more cravings, false hunger cues or obsessive thoughts of food. (Of course, this time of year is particularly hard for everyone because so many sweets are everywhere, and it's hard to ignore them.)

I think it's worth a try to give up sweets entirely for a few weeks just to see how your body and mind respond. You may discover you're happier without sweets.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what I can do to curb cravings for sweets? I am trying to lose weight before a major surgery in Feburary. At first I was doing well and lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks. Then, I hit a plateau and didn't lose or gain for another 2 weeks. Then, last week, I gained a pound.

Lately, though, I have noticed that I have been craving sweets like crazy! I don't know why I am craving them so much, but its really starting to bug me. I don't want to gain back the pounds I have lost already, but with all the temptations the past week due to Christmas, I have been wanting sweets badly.

Jessie

Welcome to MFP which is a great site with good and bad info.

I have no idea what would be best for you.

First often our first 10 pounds lost are from water and not fat lose especially if we cut back on stuff with added sugar.

Second I am in the same boat. In Oct I got ticked off because of my over bearing craving for sweets and stopped them cold turkey. At first I thought I was going to die but after about two weeks the cravings just went away. The scales have only dropped another 15 pounds (lost from 250 to 230 by just cutting calories only) but it looks like I have lost 30 pounds because my measurements have all decreased very well.

Best of luck so your surgery goes better.

• tigerlily_
    tigerlily_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree, I found it a lot easier just giving up sweets/chocolate/biscuits. The first few days are HORRIBLE and (if you're like me) you'll be a complete grumpus, but it's so much easier when you stop eating them completely. No cravings, super easy to stay within your calorie goal, better for your teeth. I'm pretty annoyed with myself for eating so much chocolate over the last few days because now I have to go through "choc detox" again!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a treat daily, so never feel I'm going without. This along with pre-logging, helps tremendously.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I crave less sweets when I meet my protein and fat goals, which I have set higher than MFP's default numbers (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055). I also work "treats" into my diet on a regular basis so I don't feel deprived of what I love.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    What I have done in the past with success, is that I go out and buy a bag of Dove's dark chocolate. The sweets are wrapped individually so I'll have two whenever I have the craving and the craving is satisfied without over doing on a candy bar! I put the bag of candy somewhere that I don't normally access daily so that way its out of sight and out of mind.

Find what can work for you. Do not deprive yourself because that can be devastating later on.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Jessie

Is it a specific sweet you are craving or just something sweet in general? I usually try flavored gum or hard candies (like jolly ranchers) first. I recently fell in love with quest bars. Most are under 200 cals and can be really sweet, sometimes too sweet.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit instead of sweets. EAt fruit every time you have a craving for sweets. Don't eat anything sugary at all. No sugar and no artificial sweeteners.

That said, the reasons for your cravings are not clear.

These are reasons for having cravings:
    severe calorie restriction for a period of time - you are hungry
    you have lowered seratonin levels due to rapid loss of nutrients in your diet or stress and low mood.
    boring diet.
    tiredness/fatigue
    depression and or stress
    lack of commitment

I would attempt to address all of those things at the same time even if you don't think any of htem are in action. The thign you can't really tell that easily what's in play though you may have an inkling.

If hungry, eat somethign that is not sweet and avoid being hungry by eating foods that satisfy you for longer.
    Resolve any stress problems
    go to bed earlier
    improve the quality of your food so that you actually enjoy it but don't make it any less healthy.
    pay attention to your mental message and do some strengthening self talk to strengthen your resolve.
    Avoid all sugar.
    AVoid looking at sweet food and
    Do not think about sweet food and do not talk about it as these things trigger your desire.
    Eat fresh fruit.
    Eat more fresh fruit.
    Fill up on vegetables.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that deprivation leads to binging only if you feel deprived. Going without sweets is far from deprivation. I suspect the people who biscuits and treats every day will not be successful in the long term. I am not saying you have to go as far as me who tends to eat sweets about once a month (certainly more this month) but becuase i am a binger, i find going without much much easier.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I try not to keep too many sweets in the house. For example I won't buy a large bag of chocolate when I'm at the grocery store. What I used to do when I lived in the US was get some of those very small mini chocolate bars and allowed 1 per day. Here in Germany..chocolate is EVERYWHERE! Especially this time of the year but I count my calories and weigh my food, then allow myself to have some every now and again.
    Yogurts with yummy flavors also help. You can also try cutting down slowly. I used to drink tons of soda, ate a lot of chocolate and add on to that some sort of fancy coffee with a gallon of sugar.

Slow and steady. Also focus on a calorie deficit. I suggest buying a food scale and weigh your food. You can still have things that you want, just everything in moderation. Best wishes to you and a speedy recovery after surgery!
  • elphie754
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Eat fruit instead of sweets. EAt fruit every time you have a craving for sweets. Don't eat anything sugary at all. No sugar and no artificial sweeteners.

That said, the reasons for your cravings are not clear.

These are reasons for having cravings:
    severe calorie restriction for a period of time - you are hungry
    you have lowered seratonin levels due to rapid loss of nutrients in your diet or stress and low mood.
    boring diet.
    tiredness/fatigue
    depression and or stress
    lack of commitment

I would attempt to address all of those things at the same time even if you don't think any of htem are in action. The thign you can't really tell that easily what's in play though you may have an inkling.

If hungry, eat somethign that is not sweet and avoid being hungry by eating foods that satisfy you for longer.
    Resolve any stress problems
    go to bed earlier
    improve the quality of your food so that you actually enjoy it but don't make it any less healthy.
    pay attention to your mental message and do some strengthening self talk to strengthen your resolve.
    Avoid all sugar.
    AVoid looking at sweet food and
    Do not think about sweet food and do not talk about it as these things trigger your desire.
    Eat fresh fruit.
    Eat more fresh fruit.
    Fill up on vegetables.

Fruit is sugar. What is wrong with artificial sweeteners. How does talking about sweet things trigger anything? Better yet, what is wrong with having sweets?
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Drink water and try to distract yourself so that you stop focusing on your craving!! It's a mind thing, well at least for me!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im with the have them in moderation as a treat. thats normally at the end of the day when ive had my main meals and have calories left over. If you fill up so you arent hungry then the cravings will be less. They are treats and not a staple food source. What editorgrrl said about it being mostly water you have lost.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I would like to add that deprivation leads to binging only if you feel deprived. Going without sweets is far from deprivation. I suspect the people who biscuits and treats every day will not be successful in the long term. I am not saying you have to go as far as me who tends to eat sweets about once a month (certainly more this month) but becuase i am a binger, i find going without much much easier.

I know plenty of people who have been sucessful and eat something "sweet" everyday.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me, this is what I do: First, drink a big glass of water. Still craving? Have a mint. Still craving? Take a walk. Still craving? Have a cookie.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I have found that "out of sight, out of mind" works for me and that since I stopped eating sweets regularly, I no longer have a taste for them. I ate some chocolate at Christmas, but it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered it.

A lot of very successful weight losers and maintainers indulge occasionally, and for them that keeps the cravings at bay. For me, it doesn't.

My advice is to try different strategies and see what works for you.
  • dfargher
    dfargher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to eat several servings of fruit first, until I'm full and not at all actually hungry. Then if I still crave sweets, I eat them. Usually I don't want them after all that fruit, and when I do it is easier to be satisfied on a small portion.