Sweet tooth and snacks

Options
I have a problem with sweets and snacks. I want to buy sweets and snack cuz there easy. when I eat all the snack I don't buy any till I'm out of all the food or someone tells me I'm low on food. so how do I stay way from the snack. I never needed self control before because I was 20 pound underweight bad unable to gain. after I had my son, I now have the opposit problem I can't lose the weight I gain from having him because I'm so use to eating all kinds if fattening food and Im picky so I dislike alot of food. I don't know what to do. Any ideas how I can stay away from snacks and sweets.

Replies

• hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I found that once I started eating healthier foods and stuck with it, I lost my sweet tooth. Now, if I crave sugar, I drink water, tea, or chew on sugar free gum, and I find that helps. I still have problems if it's right in front of me though, and my colleagues at work bring in snacks all the time lol. But I am getting better at it, it just takes time.
  • MonCheri
    MonCheri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need to first off, stop buying them and remind yourself that they add lots of calories. If you need a snack, popcorn is a good start or I like dry cereal (cherrios, etc), something to chew on. I have the munchies too but when I look at how many calories they have, it helps me but them down. Good luck to you and keep up the good work.
  • banishthebelly
    banishthebelly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    fruit. pineapple, grapes, sweet stuff.... plus the fibre will help fill you up. delish. :-)
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue with sweets...its the hardest to give up so I chose not to give them up. I just choose better sweets. Low cal, fat free, sugar free...still gives me my sweets fix but a healthier one. My sweet of choice right now is the Fiber One brownie, only 90 calories! Good luck!
  • BigMamaDiva
    BigMamaDiva Posts: 24
    Options
    Sugar free gum and will power :-)
  • smccully88
    smccully88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My choice of sweets are No Sugar Added Fudgesicles. They're only 40 calories! Sweetness and chocolate all in one!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You just don't buy them.

If you cut refined sugar from your diet your cravings will stop. It only took me a week to stop my sugar cravings and I'm a lifelong sugar addict. And I mean ADDICT. But I've conquered it and now if I do have something sweet I can stop at one piece of chocolate, half a cupcake, etc. My body just doesn't want it anymore. In fact, now that I'm pregnant sugar makes me want to throw up.

So you just have to be strong, have willpower, don't cave in because something is "easy". Is it easy to lose weight? No. Is it easy feeling bad about yourself when you look in the mirror? No. In comparison, giving up sugar is amazingly easy and it's huge step toward a healthier life and it's a huge accomplishment that will almost immediately show itself in your weight loss. I lost 4 pounds in 4 days after I cut out sugar. That sure made it easy to stay away from the sweets!
  • Brookelee30
    Brookelee30 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have a 90 calorie rice krispie treat. Yummy. I think u can have your snacks in moderation. That is probably why the majority of people (like me) gained our weight is because we didn't eat in moderation.
  • tigerrawr90
    Options
    How do I resist the food at the store and what a good snack for night I'm a insomnac I most active at night
  • tlc4rew
    tlc4rew Posts: 3
    Options
    Chocolate is my favorite, I have even been blessed with the nickname of Lady Godiva. A couple of weeks ago I decided to change. Anytime I crave chocolate I will have some popcorn and water lots of water this usually helps me. I did have a pitfall today and indulged in four chocolate chip cookies when I saw the calories that it added to my day, I don't think I will be doing that again, I'll stick with the water and popcorn.
  • elsa11170
    elsa11170 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm reading your post now at 12:30am and I'm huuuungry!!! So I understand. :\ Someone mentioned tea, think I'm going to try that.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's not easy to change habits, specially when you are used to snacking on sweet stuff and eating till it is all gone (trust me, I know!)

One idea is not to try to change everything at once but pick one thing at a time - maybe like having a healthy breakfast every day (try oatmeal, cooked from oats, not in a little packet, with mashed banana or grated apple and bit of cinnamon added). Do this every day for a week, then try to change another thing.
    Or plan a morning or afternoon snack of grapes, almonds, cheese and crackers, one slice of bread with peanut butter etc. When you've eaten it, step away from the fridge/pantry and do something that keeps you busy so you don't keep snacking without thinking.

Once you start eating more healthy food and get used to planning your snacks and meals, you should find that you are full up of good food and not craving sweet snacks so much.

But, to start with, I think it is about changing habits - Can you knit? Do you play cards? Read books? Play on a Nintendo DS? Try to find something to do to keep your hands busy so you get out of the habit of snacking, specially if you are up late at night with nothing else to do.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    How do I resist the food at the store and what a good snack for night I'm a insomnac I most active at night

You just do. You stay away from the aisles with the junk food. You find the strength to not buy crap food that is bad for you. The thing that may have helped me the most was understanding some of what happens to your body when you eat sugar. The biggest thing for me was learning that eating sugar makes your body release insulin. When your body releases insulin it makes your liver and kidneys process the sugar from your blood for energy instead of burning fat. Eating sugar not only adds a ton of calories to your diet, it makes your body stop burning fat. Neither of which are good for weight loss.

Good snacks for any time of the day will include protein and fiber. Vegetables, nuts, lean meats, and low fat dairy are best. And remember to drink lots of water.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar-a-holic. I love sweets. When I first started this journey, I tried to give it all up. But, I soon realized that it just made me want it more. And when I did have it - I would binge on it. Which wasn't going to help me in the long run. So, I decided I wasn't going to give it up. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle and I know that I would be better off leading a life without sweets - but it just doesn't seem realistic to me. I buy 100 calorie packs of cookies, brownies and such. If I buy regular cookies or whatever, I make sure I read the labels and compare different brands to find the one with the lowest amt of sugar, make sure it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it, etc. Then when I want it - I eat the serving size of it and move on.

I've honestly tried and tried to replace a sugar craving with something else and I just can't do it. All I do is end up eating WAY more other stuff trying to calm the craving. Better to eat the 100 calorie pack of cookies and move on than it is to eat 200 or 300 calories in other things trying to cope with the craving.

It's all about what YOU choose to do. If you just don't think you can handle giving it up completely - then find alternative choices, log it and keep going.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    My method for giving up sugar is easy and it works. It took one week for me to be sugar free without substituting artificial sweeteners, without going through withdrawals and without binging. And I ate chocolate every single day except for the last day.

All I did was make myself wait a little bit to have that piece (or two, or three) of chocolate. The first two days I waited until after I ate my lunch and then I had some chocolate, which is what I was craving the most at the time. The next two days I made myself wait until my afternoon snack. The next two days I made myself wait until after dinner. By the seventh day I realized I didn't want the chocolate after dinner. I had made it through the day without it and I didn't need it. I was no longer addicted.

It amazed me that it was that simple. I had tried everything to give up candy before and nothing had worked. Cold turkey failed. Waiting until the weekend failed. Ultimately, every attempt failed because it involved going too long without the sugar that my body was addicted to. Using the method I described above I still ate chocolate every day. I did try to limit myself to one piece but some days I had more. The key was that I knew I'd get my chocolate, even if it meant waiting an extra couple of hours. I didn't go more than 26-28 hours without chocolate but keeping it in moderation and making myself wait just a little longer every day showed my body that it didn't need the sugar. And once I found that I didn't want it, I was completely over my addiction. And since then I'm not able to binge on sweets, my body just can't handle more than one or two pieces of candy, more than one cookie, a whole piece of cake, etc.

It was easy. I didn't feel deprived and in the end I beat the sugar addiction. You can too if you really want to.
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My favorite afternoon snack is a protein bar--it tastes like candy and keeps me from being hungry. I eat 1400 calories a day so my afternoon snack allows for 200 calories which many nutrition pars fit into. I am on a Luna kick right now. Also love Market Pantry from Target and Kashi crunch bars.

I find that I don't miss the sweets or obsess about them because I get a sweet treat every afternoon.