I Don't Feel Depressed Anymore

Options
Hey everyone!
I just felt like I needed to take a quick moment to talk about how I think that fitness and getting healthy has helped lift my depression. I went off my meds a little under a year ago because they made me feel really foggy and I wanted to see if I could work on feeling better without them. In September when I went back to school I decided that I wanted to get healthier and see how that would affect my mood.

And let me tell you I feel better than ever. So alive. I used to cry in bed for hours and have no motivation to do anything. Now I wake up energized and ready to live the day.

I exercise 6 days a week with strength training on 4-5 of those days. I drink green tea, take coconut oil, drink water constantly, and eat a lot more protein than I used to while cutting out a lot of breads, pastas, etc. and adding in tons of vegetables.

My friends have even told me that the color has returned to my face, my eyes look brighter, and I seem more upbeat. The weight lifting has also helped improve my confidence because I feel powerful and strong. I just had to post this because I am so thankful that I feel better.

If anyone on here is depressed just know that if you give your body what it needs, your body will give your mind what it needs. I'm not saying to just stop taking meds, but a healthy lifestyle in combination with therapy can really do wonders for mood!

Have a peaceful day, everyone and feel free to add me :)

Replies

• ravengal
    Options
    Exercise IS powerful medicine. Congratulations.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Glad you feel better! I second the weight lifting. Makes me feel so much stronger and capable
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    This is great news and well done.
  • Fit_Content
    Fit_Content Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I go to the forums; Great Posts like these. You must have had a tough journey but you stuck it out and the positive vibes just are all over you post!

Happy New Year!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Excellent - Positive start to the year!
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Wonderful news to hear, well done you.
    MhitpKESU1fRS.gif[img][/img]
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing, because it's definitely a message that needs to be spread. :) I tell friends all the time that they would feel better if they did more than just sit around the house all day. >.< Grats on the better frame of mind! =D
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome to hear! Great job!! :smiley:
  • alessandragiu1
    alessandragiu1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That's great to hear! Congrats on your journey of healthy living! :smiley:
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! :smile: So happy for you and your improved health, both mental and physical.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You know what they say, exercise is the most underused antidepressant!

Thank you for sharing your story! I'm sure you just gave hope to many fighting depression :)

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!