What's on your grocery list?

Options
Panda307
Panda307 Posts: 61 Member
edited December 2014 in Motivation and Support
This past semester I took 7 courses and with work and family the stress took over, and I stopped making healthy choices. I'm looking for some new motivation and help to get back on track. My main problem has been not being prepared. Instead of going to the grocery store and cooking at home we have been having a lot of take out. I'm doing my healthy food shop tomorrow, and would love suggestions for easy healthy recipes, and grocery list suggestions. Thank you

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts
    Brocolli
    Salmon
    sweet potatoes
    Mangoes
    Persimmons
    Brussels Sprouts
    Oatmeal
    2% lactaid milk
    bananas
    cranberry trail mix
    eggs
    olive oil
    butter

hmm.. I could go on, but it breaks down to protein, veggies, fruits, bread, fat, and a selective selection of sugar

• hungryrunner30
    Options
    These are some of the foods I buy on a weekly basis:
    - greek yogurt
    - sweet potatoes
    - broccoli
    - chicken breast
    - lean ground turkey
    - bananas
    - eggs
    - egg whites
    - zucchini
    - bell peppers
    - spinach
    - turkey sausage
    - chicken sausage
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    bananas, apples, fresh spinach, almonds, granola, boneless skinless chicken breasts, cottage cheese, low fat cheese, water- these are some of the staples I buy weekly.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Here are some of my common foods:
    chicken breasts
    Greek yogurt
    coconut/almond milk
    old fashioned (slow cooking) oats
    bananas
    broccoli
    kale or mixed greens
    mini peppers
    baby/shredded carrots
    shredded cabbage
    half and half baby lettuce/baby spinach mix
    Greek yogurt
    string cheese
    eggs
    avocados
    brussel sprouts
    protein bars
    bacon (to cook the brussel sprouts in)
    apples
    snap peas
    cottage cheese (I don't use low-fat)
    tuna
    peanut or almond butter
    spaghetti squash
    diced tomatoes
    onions & garlic
    sweet potatoes
    low sodium spicy V8
    protein powder
    almonds
    rice
    tuna
    frozen berries (hard to get much fresh produce in the winter where I live)
    extra dark chocolate (85%)--actually low in sugar, higher in fiber & iron
    I have a lot of wild meat in the form of burger and steaks so I don't have to buy red meat much this time of year and I have salmon and walleye on hand most of the time from my dad or boyfriend catching it.

First of all, I don't do low-fat anything on purpose. I do watch my added sugars and refined grains I watch my macros, so I don't do meals as much as I do "foods."

However, some things I eat regularly are as follows:

--oatmeal with a banana, stevia, and a tbsp of nut butter before a workout
    --spaghetti squash topped with some kind of game meat spaghetti sauce (or regular lean hamburger)
    --sauteed greens & veggies in coconut oil with chili powder, black pepper, and other spices
    --brussel sprouts cooked in bacon with diced chicken breast & onion
    --chicken veggie rice or quinoa homemade soup
    --crustless quiches in muffin tins i can pack to work
    -- mini meatloafs in muffin tins
    --salads with lots of veggies topped with tuna, chicken or salmon
    --smoothies with coconut milk, mixed greens (or spinach or kale), protein powder & frozen berries
    --Greek yogurt topped with almonds
    --i make a crockpot of shredded Mexican seasoned chicken and eat it for several days with veggies, on salads, or in low carb wraps.
  • Krysla91
    Options
    I find myself buying the same things weekly and its pretty cheap and basic things.
    -Dozen of eggs (I boil those all Sunday night and eat them for breakfast each day)
    -Chicken breast(which I eat every night at dinner)
    -veggies of your choice (again what I eat at dinner)
    Then I buy basic healthy snacks like nuts or raw veggies and hummus to eat throughout the day.
    And also waters lol
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ditto most of the above, except that I use Steel Cut Oats. I just like the flavor and texture better.

Lean protein, whole grains, fruits/veggies (fresh when possible). Local raw honey and raw sugar are my only sweeteners.

I agree with Kelly...avoid the low fat/sugar free products as the fat/sugar is typically replaced with something fake/chemical.

Once you get used to shopping this way, it is actually easy and I have found it to be surprisingly less expensive.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    This week I got:

4lbs of chicken breast (going to be making homemade chicken salad and panko breaded chicken for pasta. My homemade chicken salad uses about 12oz of chicken, 4-6 tablespoons of light mayo, chopped celery, Salad Supreme seasoning, celery seed, and chopped yellow onion).

1/2 lb of NY Strip Steak (marinating this in 4 tablespoons of oyster sauce, 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, sliced garlic, a little sugar, a little salt, 4 tablespoons of ketchup, and the juice of an entire lime)

Two heads of broccoli crowns. Flash boiling this in a little water with garlic powder and salt, and tossing the heads in one tablespoon of butter.

5lbs of red potatoes (I generally cook about 10oz+ of potatoes, mash them, and add in abou 1/4 cup of milk, a tablespoon of butter, and two tablespoons of whipped chive cream cheese into the mix as well. I also add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste)

5lbs of clementines. Easy snack to bring to work/eat throughout the day. This will last me less than a week!

1lb grapes.

Giant Olivia's Organics spring mix, grape tomatoes, and a cucumber.

Ritz toasted chips, and Triscuit rosemary and olive oil crackers.

I also picked up some spices, coconut milk (to make penang curry soup), and a few random items.

This is just the basics. I extreme coupon, so I have supplies for chili, chicken soup, pasta, salad, pancakes, and burritos on hand in my pantry as well.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is what I buy everytime I go to the store-

chicken breast
    spinach
    carrots
    celery
    apples
    oranges
    salad
    cheddar sunchips (yum)
    ranch (hehe, could use something better, but I love it)
    ground turkey
    beans
    mozzarella cheese sticks
    chili seasoning
    mushrooms
    green pepper
    bananas
    onion
    tomato
    strawberries
    oatmeal

Most of that is for snacks and side items for lunches. I make chili every week too.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I also make a lot of salads with them.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Yogurt
    Cooked chicken breast strips
    Deli turkey
    Artisan lettuce
    Cukes, tomatoes and red bell peppers
    Pears
    Stream in bag frozen vegetables
    Oatmeal
    Eggs
    Feta cheese
    Protein bars
    Frozen salmon
    Shredded cabbage (for soup)
    Vegetable stock
    Carrots, celery, onions and canned tomatoes
    Frozen berries
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Chicken Breast
    Avocado
    Eggs
    Tea
    Milk
    Raisin
    Salmon
    Feta cheese
    Mozzarella

these are just a few of my staples in my kitchen. I make all kinds of foods, but I really enjoy wraps of different kinds, and salads. Also, I'm a don't-eat-so-much-but-snack-all-day kind of person sometimes, so I just don't have any "real meals" at all but just get all of my calories from snacking on small things throughout the day.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, I use a free app called GroceryPal that is kind of awesome, and really helpful for being prepared no matter what grocery store or pharmacy I'm going to. Also lets you know about and browse current coupons and deals in your area and can compare prices between stores.

Anyway, I'm in the app multiple times a day to add products I want or need as I think of them.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My staples tend to be:

Apples, bananas, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, onions, bread, eggs, whole milk, almond milk, oatmeal, chicken breast, [whatever other meat is on special offer], canned tomatoes, cheddar cheese, greek yogurt, frozen berries, Nakd or Eat Natural bars, canned baked beans.
  • Panda307
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the lists!! Very helpful!
  • Panda307
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    If you have a smartphone, I use a free app called GroceryPal that is kind of awesome, and really helpful for being prepared no matter what grocery store or pharmacy I'm going to. Also lets you know about and browse current coupons and deals in your area and can compare prices between stores.

Anyway, I'm in the app multiple times a day to add products I want or need as I think of them.
    I'm going to have to check out this app
  • AisWilson
    AisWilson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I need these ideas too. Thanks!