couch to 5K (1st week)

Options
M_lifts
M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
Anyone on week one? I started this week and will do day 2 tomorrow! There are lots of threads but pretty far along in the programme. Thought id start a new one to keep a log. Anyone else just starting out? Would be nice to keep each other motivated.

I found it ok tbh, wasnt bad as i thought it would be! had some muscle soreness but it eased quickly. I am using a podcast which works really well for me!

Replies

• misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am on week 1 as well, and doing day 2 tomorrow. Good luck! I am so excited, I used to love running then fell off the wagon. Now I'm getting back in to it to change up my routine a little. I will send you a friend request to keep eachother motivated. :)
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    I started week two today. I'm also using the podcast.

I have signed up for a 5K race on June 21st, so I need to stick with the program. :smile:

Going pretty well so far, but still worried I won't make it through the whole thing.

Good luck. Keep me posted on your progress.
  • M_lifts
    Options
    Thanks for the friend requests!
    Good on u for signing up for a race! I was thinking about it but im too chicken just yet! Once I get to wekk 3 or 4 I may think abt it!
  • brandy2076
    brandy2076 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started day one today, too! I will be doing day two tomorrow. So excited!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I am also doing day two tomorrow. I started day one on Monday..... I may not do it if I am still sick (stomach flu) but hopefully I will be better and this is only temporary
  • Jayni40
    Jayni40 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is my second week but I am repeating week 1. Wasnt comfortable with my progress so I'm starting over.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! :smile:

My partner and I have just completed Week 1, and while it is still a bit ouchy, we're both really enjoying both it, and the sense of achievement we get from it.

I have posted a blog entry, if you're interested in reading about my experience thus far.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TheGoktor/view/c25k-week-1-not-quite-ready-to-engage-smug-mode-but-almost-99465

I only say this because an experience, shared an' all that - not because of some vain desire to have lots of people read my blog! :laugh:

ETA: Sorry, I also meant to say well done to you all. I know what a huge step it can be to not only decide to do it but to actually get out there and do it. Really and truly, I think you're all amazing!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to start it tomorrow, but my friend is sick, so might have to hold off til next week. Would be good to get some feedback from people who have tried the first week though :smile:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Later today I'm doing Week 2 Day 3 - but I'm sure you'll all catch up with me once I start getting to the harder weeks. To be honest, I'm actually enjoying the intervals more than I think I'll enjoy running, so I'm in no hurry to finish the programme!

First few days of week 1, I was finding it hard to manage the full minute, but did it. Couldn't imagine doing half as much again the next week. Yet on the last day of week 1 I did it no problem. :)

Oh, and I'm running to the mp3 podcast mixes on Go Nicole Yourself, there is a voice over which tells you when to change from walk to run, brilliant and totally free. The timings are spot on (I checked) and it's far easier than trying to time it yourself and run at the same time! :)

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Do you guys mind if I just eavesdrop on this thread? I'm looking for something to shake up my workout routine a bit and get some more cardio in there. I would love to hear how you all get on! Good luck!
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Do you guys mind if I just eavesdrop on this thread?
    Why not give Week 1, Day 1 a go anyway?

I found it fun, so ou might enjoy it, just as a way to occasionally liven up your cardio. You don't have to commit to doing the whole programme - though once you've done week 1 a few times, you might be tempted to have a go at week 2. :bigsmile:
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Do you guys mind if I just eavesdrop on this thread?
    Why not give Week 1, Day 1 a go anyway?

I found it fun, so ou might enjoy it, just as a way to occasionally liven up your cardio. You don't have to commit to doing the whole programme - though once you've done week 1 a few times, you might be tempted to have a go at week 2. :bigsmile:

You are probably right - I should just give it a go! Limited time is my issue. I'm doing a bit of research first so that I use my time effectively.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I'm doing a bit of research first so that I use my time effectively.
    That's pretty smart. :)

I've just done Week 2 Day 3, completed on a treadmill at the gym. Apparently it's better to have it set at a shallow gradient if you plan to run outdoors as it's more realistic. I did today's run at 1%, though I found out afterwards that 0.5% would have been fine.

Despite the gradient, my heart rate didn't get significantly higher than on W2 D2 - though it reached 155 at one point at the end and was still rising at the end of each run segment. Goodness knows how I'll cope with running three minutes at a time next week!
  • Ljc3
    Ljc3 Posts: 46
    Options
    I started wk1day1 yesterday! Ive never been a runner...i hated to run. But I got out there..pushed through it..and im hoping to do day 2 today! I plan to finish this plan..and actually finish a 5k this summer or fall. I love it and think its a great idea and a good workout for anybody interested in pickibg up jogging!
  • Ljc3
    Options
    I started wk1day1 yesterday! Ive never been a runner...i hated to run. But I got out there..pushed through it..and im hoping to do day 2 today! I plan to finish this plan..and actually finish a 5k this summer or fall. I love it and think its a great idea and a good workout for anybody interested in pickibg up jogging!
  • Ljc3
    Options
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I started wk1day1 yesterday! <snip> im hoping to do day 2 today!
    Please don't.

It's really important to allow a day between sessions to allow your body to recover.
  • M_lifts
    Options
    Oh wow, lots of others in the same weeks!
    good luck for tomorrw for those running! We can do this!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I started wk1day1 yesterday! <snip> im hoping to do day 2 today!
    Please don't.

It's really important to allow a day between sessions to allow your body to recover.

This^^

I'm on Week 2 and tomorrow will be day 3. I'm only aiming to run 3 minutes and walk 1, however, because I've been told that continuing to run in intervals is really the best for you.

The Couch to 5K site specifically says to run every other day, which is important. You need to give your body a day to recover or you risk hurting yourself. On the days in between you can do weight training or a low impact cardio workout.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys tomorrow I am on W2D3 and I have to say I am loving it (really surprised myself). Yes I am fearfully of the full 5k run but I know that if I keep with this program perhaps repeat some weeks but I will get there with the support I get from you guys, friends and family :smooched: