What to do first at the gym - cardio or strength?

Options
Hi all,

I have always wondered what I should be doing first when I get to the gym. I usually start with cardio about an hour then go onto tone/strength. Is this the right way round, or is there no right way round, just what suits?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Replies

• sexymonicat
    Options
    I sweat so much during cardio so I actually do it first cause my shirt is usually drenched and eww I can imagine id gross people out if I got on machines like that . But I heard its good to get your heart rate up so maybe just do 5 minutes then strength then your hour of cardio
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I generally do a circuit that has a bit of cardio, then a bit of strength then cardio again etc... but that is because I hate cardio and wouldn't do it otherwise.

If I was going to do one first, I would do the cardio, then strength and finally core. :smile:
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    If I am playing basketball then I don't lift. If I am lifting, I lift first, then do about 20 minutes of half-@ssed cardio. I don't want to be tired for my lifts by doing cardio first...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to lift weights safely and with the proper effort level without a full tank of gas. So i would do most of the cardio after, or on a different day.
  • molynn386
    molynn386 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read that you can do either first; it just depends on what you want to focus more on. If you're trying to focus on strength training, then you should start with weights first. You'll have the most energy for it and get the most out of it. If you're using the cardio as a warm-up, which I don't think is the case since you're going for an hour, I would only do a five minute warm-up and then lift. But there's really no right answer.
  • molynn386
    molynn386 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BTW the book I read it in was actually called, "Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights," which answers a lot of questions about fitness and training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    malone103 wrote: »
    I usually start with cardio about an hour then go onto tone/strength. Is this the right way round, or is there no right way round, just what suits?

Depends on your objectives and to an extent what type of resistance training that you're doing.

In principle there is no right answer, but for many the issue becomes one of safe resistance training as form is affected when already fatigued. The same thing applies to serious training for running. As you refer to "toning" I assume you're not lifting anything all that heavy, but equally if you're doing CV work in the gym then it's unlikely that you're looking for performance there either.

Given the lack of clear focus I'd suggest a warm up, then resistance and followed up by CV. That means that you're putting in place a routine that's extensible as the weight increases.
  • vgebrev
    vgebrev Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not very familiar with the science behind it, and opinions on this seem all over the place. I've read proponents of every combination promoting their way.

I think one should just go by whatever feels best and gives the best results for one's goals.

Try one way for 3 weeks, then another for 3 weeks, then compare.

In my experience, I used to alternate (full-body) strength and cardio on different days. This was pretty effective and kept my workouts focused and short.

Nowadays, I tend to start with a short cardio warmup, followed by strength (targetting one muscle group per day), followed by cardio. This is even more effective, but I attribute that to the increased overall length of my workouts rather than the order of exercises.

I haven't tried cardio-first, so I can't comment on that approach, the prospect of trying to lift weights while I am struggling to catch my breath is not an appealing one for me :smile:

EDIT: For context, my primary goal is to drop body fat % and my secondary goal is a trivial amount of weight-loss.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am a proponent of strength first because I feel that if you are going to bother lifting, lift with the intent of getting strong. That happens best when you are fresh.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Do whichever first that you want to get the most out of that day. I lift heavy 2-3 days a week. On lifting days, I lift and maybe follow up with some light cardio. On cardio days, I don't lift.

An hour of cardio sounds like overkill, tbh. What kind of lifting are you doing that you're able to do after an hour of cardio?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The research shows it doesn't matter. I prefer to do strength first, or else a combo class.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do whichever first that you want to get the most out of that day. I lift heavy 2-3 days a week. On lifting days, I lift and maybe follow up with some light cardio. On cardio days, I don't lift.

An hour of cardio sounds like overkill, tbh. What kind of lifting are you doing that you're able to do after an hour of cardio?

Agreed.

If strength/lifting is your priority, then lift first. If cardio is your goal, then do cardio first. Whatever you do first, assuming it's at a fairly high intensity, will take a way from your ability to do the second... so give the greatest effort to your highest priority.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im balanced and am in neither or both strength and cardio camps.

I satrt with a short cardio warm up and then its strength because form is important and I want to be at my best in lifting weights, which also has a safety aspect to it. I wouldnt be able to lift anything near as effectively after id done the cardio.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    You're all wrong. The answer is go to the smoothie bar.

Actually the answer is to leave the gym and go train outside. :)
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I do them on separate days.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    You're all wrong. The answer is go to the smoothie bar.

Actually the answer is to leave the gym and go train outside. :)

Outdoor training.

wi2b2f5ont8h.jpg
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day... On my lifting days, I do 5-10 minutes of moderate cardio to warm up (rowing or elliptical), then hit the weights. Sometimes I teach a spin class after this, but I can't go all out. On cardio specific days, Cardio comes first and maybe I'll add core work or body weight exercises to the end.

Then there are Rounds where it is a mixed bag, my favorite. Like a mini circuit that transitions quickly to incorporate cardio & strength. Example 5 rounds: 7 heavy deadlifts and 20 jumping lunges (each leg). Then 3 rounds: 5 wide grip pull-ups (with weight assist), 10 push-ups, 15 air squats & 20 sit-ups... By the end I am toast!

Especially because you are just starting out, and searching for your limits.... I highly recommend not doing an hour of cardio prior to lifting. Your strength work to suffer due to fatigue, and there is a much greater risk of injury.

If you have to do cardio & strength on the same day. Either incorporate rounds or do the Cardio Warm-up(max 10 minutes), lift, finish with cardio.

Good luck!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I always do strength training first - I would rather lift heavy weights while fresh, not fatigued and sweaty following cardio.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The research shows it doesn't matter. I prefer to do strength first, or else a combo class.

Please post a sampling of this research. Preferably one that assesses heavy, compound freeweight lifts.

LOL at outdoor training