When do u stop a calorie deficit?

Options
Hi all just a quick question really when do you stop a calorie deficit and start consuming the recommended amount? I am currently cutting to about 1500 a day. Lost a fair bit weight around 3 stone currently at 14.7 stone 5'10. I go to gym regularly and am abit worried that my body isn't get the nutrition it needs to grow? I try to eat healthy and make sure I get some protein each day. I was on creatine but stopped that has it stalled my weight loss, I do take multi vitamin and fish oil is there anything else I should take to help? I have built a fair bit muscle but want more lol. I still have fair bit fat aswell :(

Replies

• FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Eat towards your goal. If you want to lose weight then eat at a deficit and if you want to maintain weight then eat at your TDEE and if you want to gain then eat at a surplus. Its almost impossible to gain muscle while in a deficit, you probably lost some body fat and now you can see some of the muscle you already had.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    for a guy your calories a bit on the low side, I eat way more than that (1900-2100) and I'm only 5ft 2" :-D. As others have suggested, workout your TDEE (see online calculators to help with that), and eat at 10%-20% deficit of that. Hit all your macros and you'll be fine, especially the protein and fibre :)
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You'll have to choose between weight loss and muscle gain, you can't really do both. at the same time. If you want to gain muscle then start eating at a surplus for a while, if you want to continue losing fat keep eating at a deficit, then when you've reached your goal weight start eating at a surplus.

Keep lifting either way.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you've got a lot of weight to lose. If you're looking to change body composition, you need to start transitioning to Maintenance and start up with more weight training. This will allow you the calories to get more protein for your muscle repair. Without going to extremes (there are weight training forums) and doing the whole cutting and bulking cycles to get your muscles built up, the maintenance calories should be able to give you enough protein to slowly build up your muscles. Calculate out your TDEE and at most cut 5%. At a deficit, you will be hard pressed to build any muscles, but you can at least keep what you've got. Make sure you've got your levels of protein at a good amount (like 1g per pound of LBM).

There are others who can direct you better if you want to seriously build.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm female, weigh ten pounds less, and I eat more than that. Figure out an appropriate goal for what you want to lose (most likely .5-1 pound per week) and start weighing/measuring your food if you aren't yet doing so.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    truckerlad wrote: »
    Hi all just a quick question really when do you stop a calorie deficit and start consuming the recommended amount? I am currently cutting to about 1500 a day. Lost a fair bit weight around 3 stone currently at 14.7 stone 5'10. I go to gym regularly and am abit worried that my body isn't get the nutrition it needs to grow? I try to eat healthy and make sure I get some protein each day. I was on creatine but stopped that has it stalled my weight loss, I do take multi vitamin and fish oil is there anything else I should take to help? I have built a fair bit muscle but want more lol. I still have fair bit fat aswell :(

I've found this calorie calculator to be pretty accurate for me -- of course everyone is different, but they're all estimates anyway: scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

According to this you should be eating closer to 2000 calories to lose 1lb a week, which is good rate. Try it, you may find that with a few more calories you'll be able to sustain it longer, get the nutrition and fuel you need, and be more successful in the long run. Not sure what you meant by "recommended amount," but you'll find that if you stick to 2000, your weight loss will slow down as you get closer to 70kg, which is right in the middle of a healthy BMI for you.
  • truckerlad
    truckerlad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    lovely job thanks for all the advice people :D
  • IgorFigscreed2004
    IgorFigscreed2004 Posts: 11
    edited December 2014
    Options
    NEVER DIET. Science can show us what is WRONG. And dieting does NOT work. It has long been discarded by science. Dieting is FIGHTING your body.

WELL OVER 98% OF DIETERS HAVE REGAINED ALL THEIR WEIGHT NAD MORE SOMETIMES AFTER 10 YEARS OR MORE...

DITCH DIETING IMMEDIATELY. LOOK UP THE RESEARCH OF DR. LINDA BACON. WHAT THE PUBLIC BELIEVES ABOUT WEIGHT IS NOT TRUE.

NONE FO THESE FORMULAS ARE TRUE. NONE WORK AS EXPECTED. YOUR BODY IS DYNAMICS AS HELL.

IGNORE ALLLLL OF THESE FORMULAS. THEY ARE SALESMENSHIP NOT SCIENCE.