ATKINS ANYONE?

Options
lcwiney
lcwiney Posts: 11 Member
Ok, my whole reduced calorie deal is not very motivating right now. I am wondering about Atkins. Anyone on it? Anyone having any success? I do intend on going back to a low calorie, low fat diet....but I sincerely need a weight loss boost right now. I am about to just throw in the towel. I figured if Atkins really works I'd give it a 4 week try then return to my original plan. Any comments .....welcomed!

Replies

• Delorice
    Delorice Posts: 16
    Options
    I did Atkins a couple years ago, it worked really well for me, EXCEPT I started losing my hair! The doctor said i wasnt getting all the essential vitamins. So, if you decide to do Atkins, take a multi vitamin daily. Good luck!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I do a program that is lower in carb and still puts me in fat burning but is not near as low at Atkins. Also, I watch fat and calories as well. Good luck to you.
  • BlindOne
    BlindOne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a ketogenic diet which is similar to the Atkins induction phase. I've went from 235 to 213 since January. Keto is keeping your carbs at 20-30g/day

It's not magic, you'll drop 5-10 lbs quickly due to losing the water weight associated with carbs, then it's like anything else...hard work! I think it's worth sticking to, I'm definitely getting results and it's allowing me to be more active, which feeds the weight loss.

I enjoy the diet, it fits in well with the foods I like to eat. I barely miss bread and pasta.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm on it and I love it, been doing it for years, no hair loss or anything weird like that for me, and I stay pretty close to induction diet for a lot of the time. you can friend me, most of my friends are low carbers, Atkins, Paleo people.

Oh I just re-read your post .. I am not sure if yo-yoing between Atkins and a low fat diet would be a good idea. . I'd ask around. Low carb for me is a lifestyle, not a fad diet. I'm not saying don't do it. . just not sure how that would work out.

You know Atkins has phases and after 2 weeks or an amount of time you choose, you can start adding in a lot of foods gradually?
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ever hear of the Cinch Diet by Cynthia Sass? -extremely healthy and there is a 5 day fast track plan that will jump start weight loss lose up to 8 pounds the first week. I hit a plateau in February so I tried her diet out- I loved it.. you get a balanced meal all day and its very satisfying- (the fast track plan was difficult) but worth it! Hope this helps. I am so over "being on a diet" I can honestly say I don't think I will ever you those words again. I am here for ya if you need any ideas-

I seriously wouldn't go with Atkins,( no offense to Atkins lovers)- it is unrealistic- and it will set you up for failure- at least it did for me years ago when "everyone was doing it"

Hope I can help! :flowerforyou:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    if reduced calories arent motivating..then a very restrictive diet like atkins definitly wont motivate you.
  • crakmasta
    crakmasta Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Atkins worked great for me, and was a diet that I could easily see becoming more of a lifestyle. In my situation, my wife just loves her some carbs, and the house was full of them, so it became hard to follow.
  • Amgoding
    Amgoding Posts: 16
    Options
    I did atkins 5 yrs ago and it was amzaingly sucessful. I did combine it with 4-5 gym workouts per wk though. Follow induction to the max and remember to add in the veggies. It isn't all about meat and cheese :) I did end up having an issue with high potasium and was unable to determine if it is linked to the diet. I lost 40 lbs pretty quickly but abondon's the way of eating becaue high I was nauseas from eating so well and the high potassium. Also, log your food. It helps on any diet.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins for 5 weeks before I went on holiday earlier this year. I lost 26 pounds in that time.

Then I went on my holiday and regained 16 pounds of it back in 1 week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It comes back on very quickly once you eat carbs. It is very restrictive.

I am now eating a calorie and fat controlled diet using MFP, and watching my 'starchy white' carb intake (Bread, potatoes, white rice and pasta) and instead eating more pulses, grains and wholewheat varities. A low G.I approach imho is better.

And this is coming from a girl who has tried every diet under the sun.
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    RainbowNtheWaterfall Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I do a program that is lower in carb and still puts me in fat burning but is not near as low at Atkins. Also, I watch fat and calories as well. Good luck to you.

What's it called? Where can I see a sample of it?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ok, my whole reduced calorie deal is not very motivating right now. I am wondering about Atkins. Anyone on it? Anyone having any success? I do intend on going back to a low calorie, low fat diet....but I sincerely need a weight loss boost right now. I am about to just throw in the towel. I figured if Atkins really works I'd give it a 4 week try then return to my original plan. Any comments .....welcomed!

Atkins is a lifestyle change and should be treated as such. If you are not prepared to change your lifestyle, then NO you should NOT embark on this journey.

People using it as a short term quick fix thing is part of the reason that Atkins has a bad name. There are 4 phases to this plan, please see here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/229665-rant-this-is-what-the-atkins-plan-is-truly-about
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I lost around 20 lbs following Atkins. One morning I woke up with an excruciating pain in my side, I thought I was going to die. At the ER they treated me for a kidney stone. In the year following I had 2 more. Come to find out a guy at work had the same thing happen to him following a super high protein super low carb diet. It's been about 4 years and I haven't had a kidney stone since.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    A healthy lifestyle is better than any diet. You won't loose quick but in the long run it is soooooo worth it. Health benefits too.