Supplements

Options
ehte_h
ehte_h Posts: 293 Member
Are any of you using protein shakes etc... for weight loss? or is it best to lay off all that and just get as much protein as possible in your diet

Replies

• shilpaca
    shilpaca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been following the myfitnesspal for a few months now. I have recenlty started on the biggest loser protein shakes and bars and have been seeing a gradual drop in my weight. I do a shake for breakfast and then a protein bad for lunch with snacks every 3 hrs. For dinner it is a healthy meal which all is inclusive of the daily calorie allowance. My weight was static for a few wks before starting on the protein shakes but now it is coming off and I am very happy with the result. All I can say is that u can give it a try and see if you like it and if it works for u . Good Luck !!
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    If you're working out heavy you have to supplement. You need to replenish the vitamins and minerals your body uses during your workout.

Personally, I drink Shakeology every day and take the Beachbody MultiVit Vitamin. Anything from GNC is usually also a pretty good bet (especially their Sport series). Stay away from the walmart brand vitamins on the shelf. You want something with some quality.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    i use protein in my cereal, straight after the gym in the morning and as a quick meal in the afternoon. I use it for muscle growth and recovery as I am bodybuilding. It is a qucik and convient way for me to extra calories into my diet without the extra carbs, of an afternoon I also eat a tbls of natural peanut butter for the good fats and make it a complete meal! I think protein is an extreamly important part of a diet as I get closer to my first competition my afternoon shake will be replaced with high protein 'food' for the nutritional benifits.
    So yes they do play a part but if you are already getting your daily requirements then you dont need it, if you need to get extra protein then it is a convienient way.......But I do recomend it after a gym/weight session at the gym to promote muscle growth and recovery!
  • inn0c3ntbbygrlx3
    Options
    I have been doing stacker xplcs along with mfp and they are helping since at my job I'm sitting down all day, I have lost almost 20lbs in a month by takin them, so its really whatever you choose to do that you think will help you drop the weight everyone is different but it works for me :)
  • ehte_h
    Options
    Thanks guys, i'm aiming for fat loss & I will worry about bulking up later... so for fat loss should I still use them?
  • markomark
    markomark Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks guys, i'm aiming for fat loss & I will worry about bulking up later... so for fat loss should I still use them?
    I use them as I find they are filling and most f the brands do a meal replacement bar specifically for weight loss. I use a protein shake every morning and occasionally a protein bar if I am out and busy or something. For me its important because I don't eat much meat so I was finding it difficult to reach my protein targets. No problem now, I hit 50% at breakfast time!

I think the thing is, its individual, so if its right for me, it might not be right for you. There are pros and cons and it is a case of finding what works best in your case

Mark
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options

Muscle is the best fat burning friend you can possibly have!! Get in and do weights your results will increase three fold!!! A weight program should be the most important part of your weekly program wether your goal is to loose fat, bulk up, tone up, get fit ANYTHING!!! Lift heavy, live long, live STRONG!!!
  • beachbum377
    Options
    Protein is great as long as you are not consuming too much excess. Stay on track with your listed goals and you will be fine. Any excess protein gets converted to fat so if you are exercising and eating the correct amount you will be losing fat like you want to. Try to get it from lean sources like fish, soy or chicken. A lot of those protein bars have high amounts of saturated fats that can interfere with your goals. Read the labels and you'll do well!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    protein is pointless for weight loss. i mean protein shakes..we only need 40-60 grams a day of protein..if you are a meat eater you get plenty already. dont waste your money on shakes
  • ehte_h
    Options
    Thanks I guess the KISS analogy applies here!

Keep it simple stupid lol
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    protein is pointless for weight loss. i mean protein shakes..we only need 40-60 grams a day of protein..if you are a meat eater you get plenty already. dont waste your money on shakes

disagree. If you keep protein high and do weight training, the majority of your weight loss will be fat loss.
    If you're not eating much protein and just doing cardio, you're gonna lose fat and muscle.

Protein is essential for proper weight loss.

GNC sucks. Beachbody stuff is overpriced.
    Shop online, you'll find better stuff.