Exercise for the uncoordinated.

Options
I need some input on choosing exercise. I am *extremely* uncoordinated. I can't do jumping jacks type uncoordinated. After trying dozens of fitness videos, I realize I will not be able to do the moves with correct form. Is it better for me to do the videos totally incorrectly and just keep going, or is it better for me to ditch all workout videos and just walk. Please don't tell me that I will improve in coordination. I won't. I have had two personal trainers that both quit because I cannot do the correct movements. According to my doctor, it is probably a neurological issue. I just need to know where to go from here. Continue to do videos incorrectly or just move to walking only. Thanks.

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of excersize you're wanting to do. If only cardio, then just walking or running is fine. Really, any kind of steady movement that gets your heart rate up is better than nothing. If you're looking to gain strength, you would need to lift heavy. You don't want to hear that it would help your problem...but that's exactly what I'm saying.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you can walk, you can probable use a treadmill, which will give you the option of setting the speed to walk faster.

You could also get to the point in walking that you speed up enough to jog - not run, jog. It's easier on your joints than full out running. Walking up to 3.5mph is a good start, but jogging at 4-6mph is better.

Physical activity, like walking is good, but adding moderate intensity to get yourslef to physically fit will benefit you more. ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) recommends physical activity of 30min/day for 5 days as a minimum and adding 30min/day for 5 days of moderate to vigorous activity.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with walking or I like indoor cycling where the roadkill chances slim to none.
    Also another vote for lifting. (*)

I am extremely uncoordinated and I still go to Zumba and Pound classes. I figure wrong movement is better than no movement. Good luck to you!
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start! Go with that! Could you use a rebounder? The kind with a handle so you can hang on and all you need to do is jump? Also just maybe put together a routine that you *can* do - maybe sit ups, push ups, some basic weights such as bicep curls etc? Good luck!
  • jodster1504
    Options
    Definitely don't keep doing the videos incorrectly, you could hurt yourself! Walking is good but depending on your fitness goals you may want something that builds more strength or gets your heart rate up more. Have you tried other sports other than workout videos, which are apparently not the way to go for you?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about videos. I just end up jogging in place because I can't do the moves either. I usually walk, run, do the arc trainer or do a weight circuit. Try a simpler exercise. If you are like me, you probably get frustrated with the videos because by the time you figure the move out, they are like 20 minutes past it. Just do some movement you don't hate.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol.

Doing the movements will make you more coordinated.

640px-Annoyed-facepalm-picard-l.png
  • Campapajama
    Options
    No sports. I don't have the time or coordination. SAHM homeschooling mom with lots 'o kids means I have 20 minutes or so each day to do something. If walking is better than doing the videos incorrectly, then that is the way I will go. Thanks.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's very frustrating when people ask for help and then provide reasons why they can't do any of the suggestion. If OP had said she only had 20 minutes a day at the beginning that would have made everyone's response easier and less fruitless.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I need some input on choosing exercise. I am *extremely* uncoordinated. I can't do jumping jacks type uncoordinated. After trying dozens of fitness videos, I realize I will not be able to do the moves with correct form. Is it better for me to do the videos totally incorrectly and just keep going, or is it better for me to ditch all workout videos and just walk. Please don't tell me that I will improve in coordination. I won't. I have had two personal trainers that both quit because I cannot do the correct movements. According to my doctor, it is probably a neurological issue. I just need to know where to go from here. Continue to do videos incorrectly or just move to walking only. Thanks.

For someone with poor coordination, you sure have excellent typing skills.

If those videos are risky to do incorrectly, then of course don't do them. If you want to try something besides walking, work with a physical therapist. I'm sure they'll find something you can do well.. besides typing.

Can you run in place? Can you jump up and down?
  • Campapajama
    Options
    Is this a place where people are snarky and rude? I joined years ago, but haven't ever posted on the forums. I don't need snark or comments on my typing skills, I was just asking for quick advice. I won't continue to post if rudeness is the norm as it is on so many forums.
  • Campapajama
    Options
    Thanks to all that responded nicely. Walking for the win, I'll shelve the videos.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If I was you, and my doctor thought it was a neurological issue affecting my major motor skills, I would not continue doing exercises incorrectly if there was no likelihood of improving as I wouldn't want to hurt myself. I would run or walk. Not asking you to divulge your personal medical history, but if it means you can't do jumping jacks and similar relatively simple movements, I'd be pressing my GP for further tests. Walking seems safest for the meantime.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    doing the things make you better at doing the thing.

You'll never get better at "exercise" stuff if you only do walking.

Keep doing the things- outside of neurological issues- everyone's balance/stability/coordination can be improved with work.
    Is this a place where people are snarky and rude? I joined years ago, but haven't ever posted on the forums. I don't need snark or comments on my typing skills, I was just asking for quick advice. I won't continue to post if rudeness is the norm as it is on so many forums.

secondly - he has a point- if you have the capacity to type well- you are more than capable of being coordinated to do more than just walk. it's a skill.

You work on it by learning the thing- then practicing the thing.

You probably didn't pop out being able to type well- you learned- then practiced- now you can type well.

It's a valid point.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all that responded nicely. Walking for the win, I'll shelve the videos.

That's a good idea. Can't have you becoming better at moving around through space.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Sorry you perceived that as rude. It was a gentle teasing to point out that you can, in fact, improve your coordination, with the proper training and patience. Almost everyone can, including those with strokes, cerebral palsy, etc. Unfortunately most personal trainers aren't good with atypical populations, so it's best to work with a physical therapist, if you ever get serious about finding exercises you can do.

If not, well.. good luck.

• Campapajama
    Options
    I typically use a speech to text program for typing. It is easier.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    You might want to try doing the moves very slowly to create muscle memory. Also it really might be worthwhile to engage a physical therapist to see whether you can improve with help.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you want to try videos again (or find that you need to do something indoors/at home so as not to be away from your "lots" of kids and don't have a treadmill), Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos are very good for the uncoordinated. I don't have actual neurological issues or anything affecting my coordination, but I'm about as uncoordinated as the general population gets. My husband has to strategically place our furniture to keep me from ramming into the wall when I go around corners in our house. Anyway, her videos are extremely simple to follow (you can easily skip the arm movements and/or slow down the pace at first to get a hang of the steps) and she has several 15-20-30 minute options so that you can rotate them and not get bored. Just a thought!
  • Campapajama
    Options
    Thanks!