First Time @ Zumba - What should I expect?

Options
I'll be taking my first Zumba class tomorrow. What should I expect??

Replies

• suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    FUN! Lots of laughter. And a great workout. Have fun!
  • mandycox1301
    Options
    A GREAT work out!!!!!! Drink lots of either gatorade/powerade or something with electrolytes! (if I spelled it right) ENJOY!!
  • kswietek
    kswietek Posts: 80
    Options
    what can I say, I LOVE ZUMBA!!!! The first time I went to the class, I felt so uncoordinated and self concious but it was fun and everyone was so nice and welcoming. There is a learning curve like anything else to get the steps down but it is so much fun you will forget that you are working out. Expect to sweat and have a great time. And go back for a 2nd and 3rd and more, you will be addicted before you know it and you will be a zumba fanatic!!! I move my bootie like I didn't even know that i could, lol, let alone in front of a mirror and a bunch of people, but it is one big party and you will have a blast.

Let us know after your class what you think. :)
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    to have fun, and laugh! expect to get your groove on and then trip over your own feet. to make friends, and that you really can shake your booty and feel great about it.

Check your days worth of problems at the door and enjoy the best hour of the day !!

drink LOTS of water....but dont gussle it sip it and yes gator aid, smart water, something with electrolytes in it

wear clothes that wick away moisture, you will be soaking wet and bring a towel.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Lots and Lots of fun!!!! Just know it may take a few classes before you catch on to everything, but if you don't worry about the steps and just do your thang...it'll be all good!!!!!

Have fun and let us know what you thought!!!
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sweat!
  • etvazquez
    etvazquez Posts: 13
    Options
    How do you count/ track your Zumba workout?
  • Mariposa7
    Mariposa7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your info!! I'm a little nervous!! I'll let you know how it goes!! :wink:
  • Mariposa7
    Options

I'm not sure how to track the workout.
  • pinkcess22
    pinkcess22 Posts: 60
    Options
    lots of fun heart beating body pumping non stop moving Latin belly dancing and aerobics all mushed in one expect to loose 500 to 1000 calories each time :))
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Expect to have such a great time that you don't realize how many calories you are burning!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options

Best way to know is to get a heart rate monitor. Other ladies track it on here, but I'm not sure what they log it as.
  • Mariposa7
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY LOVED ZUMBA!! IT WAS AWESOME! FINISHED MY BOTTLE OF WATER BEFORE THE CLASS WAS OVER! I WAS DRENCHED WITH SWEAT....LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    If it is your first time you will feel a bit lost, but you will still have lots of fun!! The music, the mood, and people make it a great work out. Even if you mess up on the moves you will still sweat your butt off and feel like you worked every part of your body!!!
    Love Zumba it is part of my regualr work out and I would never change it! :) Have fun!!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

It's not on the database here but on another website it is listed as 258 cals an hour for me (female at 5'1" and BMI of approx 21). So you could work up and down from that dependent on your height and weight if you can't find another source.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY LOVED ZUMBA!! IT WAS AWESOME! FINISHED MY BOTTLE OF WATER BEFORE THE CLASS WAS OVER! I WAS DRENCHED WITH SWEAT....LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!

Excellent! My first month I lost 4 inches in my waist alone. So make sure your track your measurements.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options

I classify it as high impact aerobics or interval training. It depends on the class and the instructor. Some classes are strictly aerobic while others incorporate intervals of high and low intensity. some also incorporate weights. When you research averages it says anywhere between 400-900 calories can be burned, but there are differences to associate with it such as intensity, length, effort, and body size.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Definitely a lot of laughter and loud music!

Don't worry about not getting all the steps. Focus on the feet first and add the arms second once you feel comfortable. The important thing is to just keep moving/dancing. Listen to the beat of the songs, you'll get it!

I love it! Have fun!
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    It's fun and can be addicting. Bring a towel because you will sweat and lots of water. You might be sore for a few days but it's worth it and it gets better the longer you do it.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't take classes, I just have a workout video of it, but I REALLY wish there were classes in my area. :(
    Anyways, my video has samba, reggaeton, some hiphop-like moves and some belly dancing. Its about 45 minutes long and you sweat like a pig, no joke. I had my AC on 70 with the ceiling fan on; still dripping with sweat.

But I love every minute of it. I HAVE taken a jazzercise class before at a community rec center, and people are soo nice and funny and sweet, so I wouldn't doubt at all that zumba classes would be the same way, or even better!

PLUS, it makes you feel so...SEXYYY. :D!