For those of you in northern states

Options
I live in Nebraska and I'm having a heck of a time finding decent fresh produce. And what little I find is very expensive. For those of you also living in an area where your fresh stuff is coming from somewhere else, do you have any tips? Any stores where you find better quality or selection? Any favorite frozen brands/varieties?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit and veggies for me, up north or down south. Frozen fruits are a little different, but very good in their own way. I cannot eat veggies without cooking them, so the difference between fresh and frozen is minimal (or nonexistent) for me.

I get canned peaches. I get the lite ones, but not the ones with aspartame. The aspartame ones taste horrible. Peaches are sweet enough without it, anyway.
  • tracyhodgewaugh
    tracyhodgewaugh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to add frozen fruit to your drinks? What about roasting frozen vegetables? Does it work. Those are my 2 biggest concerns really.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Frozen veg can be roasted, but completely defrost and dry with a napkin first.

Frozen fruit is best for smoothies and other drinks.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I find thawed berries great for yogurt or smoothies. Peas are pretty good frozen. Asparagus, brussell sprouts and green beans will be sad all wimter.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I love adding frozen raspberries to smoothies. I can buy a ton in summer and make them last all winter. If i do run out before summer comes around again then i either buy them frozen or you can buy them jarred as preserves.

I like to eat frozen fruit before it thaws completely, especially peaches.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm in Upstate NY. Not too much fresh here. Fresh is: bananas, apples, citrus, cucumber, baby carrots, avocado, peppers (if I get a good deal). We do a LOT of frozen. It's too expensive to buy fresh and in many cases around here this time of year frozen will be fresher. I buy Frozen produce from Aldi. 12oz berries (mixed and blueberries) are $2.29 (wegmans is $4.49 for 16oz) and I buy frozen peas/corn at aldi for $0.89/lb or wegmans at $0.99/lb. Berries go in my shakes and on my oatmeal. I heat them up for a fruit for my 1 year old. Peas/corn get added as fillers to meals, green beans are served with dinner as a side. I do canned crushed tomato instead of canned pasta sauce (I put in pan and heat with italian seasoning, oregano, pepper, etc. It cuts down on the sodium and gives it a stronger "tomato" taste).

I don't really have favorite "brands." I am used to wegmans brand (local grocery store here) and their quality is amazing (they even own their own local organic farms), and since they are much cheaper than say, green giant...I could never justify spending 50% more.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hmm this is news to me, I live in southern Canada and often in minnesota and north dakota and always fresh produce hear and there.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Why does the produce have to be fresh?

If you prefer fresh for the flavor, I am out of ideas. Eating in season you (and I in Massachusetts) would depend on cellared potatoes and other root vegetables, squash, cabbage, and other things in the cabbage family.

If it is for nutrition, frozen vegetables are very good in that regard. I depend heavily on frozen vegetables including single type and mixtures.

Canned vegetables are also good. Really. Especially beans. I normally do not bother making beans from scratch.

IMO, frozen fruit is often better than fresh in smoothies because freezing bursts the cells of some fruits and makes them mush up better.

Which reminds me, we have 4 pounds of frozen blueberries. They are gonna add flavor to my next batch of beer.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I live in Nebraska and I'm having a heck of a time finding decent fresh produce. And what little I find is very expensive. For those of you also living in an area where your fresh stuff is coming from somewhere else, do you have any tips? Any stores where you find better quality or selection? Any favorite frozen brands/varieties?

Since it's a land locked State in the middle of Winter I'm not sure there is much fresh. :'( I buy from Trader Joe's, Natural Grocers, sometimes Open Harvest, sometimes regular grocery stores.

Frozen berries are great this time of year, nothing wrong with buying frozen fruit in the Winter if nothing else if available. Great in smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal etc. ;)

I live in a Winter state, trust me, I do understand! I belong to CSA's in the Spring/Summer/Fall months and they've now got one in the Winter. Might want to check that out if you have any in the area you live in. They also have Winter Harvest days where they sell veggies that grow in the late Fall. Pretty much like a Farmers Market smack dab in the middle of Winter... minus the Spring veggies etc.

Where in NE do you live? A bigger area (O or L) or small town?

I started buying Steamers, when they are on sale, or steam my own.

Ugh...just read about Wegman's.. we don't have them here. :'(
  • tracyhodgewaugh
    tracyhodgewaugh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in Omaha. The reason I am looking for fresh is really just to find ways of cooking it to make it more palatable for my family. I have a husband who won't eat vegetables other than corn. And he is teaching our kids to hate vegetables. If I can roast frozen vegetables that will help a lot because I think I can get them to eat some roasted veggies. I'm also going to try using things like zucchini and eggplant that aren't hard to find. Fruit is not really a big deal other than just trying to find ways to enhance my water. I've been drinking a lot of Crystal Light and I need to cut back on it. I have trouble drinking plain water so just looking for options. I will have to try Trader Joe's. I tend to forget it's there. I do love frozen pepper strips for cooking. Just trying to find the best way to make this a permanent change.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    South Dakota here and I find Hyvee for us is the best place. We also stock up on fresh fruit from the local school when they do their fundraising. I have terrible luck at Walmart. Back up plan is frozen for us. I have to hide veggies in meals because I hate them. Something I struggle with.
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Costco's quality seems the best I can find in the winter in MN
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I belong to CSA's in the Spring/Summer/Fall months and they've now got one in the Winter. Might want to check that out if you have any in the area you live in. They also have Winter Harvest days where they sell veggies that grow in the late Fall. Pretty much like a Farmers Market smack dab in the middle of Winter... minus the Spring veggies etc.

I do this--it's pretty limited, though. Until recently we've had winter squash, root vegetables, and cabbage, but my understanding is that the winter proper is dried items (like beans and peppers), cellared items (apples, potatoes, etc.), and greens from the green house. I like to go to the green market during the winter, but mostly because they also sell eggs and meat. (I have picked up popcorn and grains from time to time also.)

For health, frozen are great, but I understand the OP's preference for non-frozen and share it, just based on how I like to cook things and how they taste, so I also do lots of transported in from somewhere they grow veggies (whether one calls this fresh or not depends on your own definition, IMO). IME, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, zucchini/summer squash, eggplant, and Brussels sprouts all tend to be generally available, not much more expensive in the winter, and taste good. I also like winter squash (which is available now like crazy), all root veggies (carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips, turnips, etc.), and greens of any sort that look good. Onions and related items are also fine, and cabbage, of course. Asparagus usually isn't that good (although I just bought some white asparagus), and I use only canned tomatoes when I can't get them fresh. (I'm in Chicago, so we might have more of a selection than some smaller areas, not really sure.)

I also like the blueberries in the stores this time of year just fine, although frozen berries work great in smoothies if that's your intended use, as others have said. Beyond that, I might buy pears, apples, or bananas, as those tend to be good any time of year, or those clementines. In fact, if you like oranges, bananas, or any other more tropical fruits it hardly matters as in a northern state those are never local.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    We try to eat local as much as possible, so winter produce is mostly frozen, canned, or dried. Lots of stews, vegetable soups, pasta/lasagna type one dish meals (oldest son loves pasta with garlic, olive oil, seafood, and frozen sugar snap peas; middle son loves lasagna with lots of vegetables I sneak into the sauce or even spinach lasagna), pot roast (carrots and potatoes), etc.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Also in this boat! I live in Council Bluffs, work in Bellevue!!!! I buy the most of my fresh stuff at Aldi's when in season but frozen is good for veggies.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I live in Iowa (I'm close enough to Omaha that I'm there several times every month). The difference between me and you is that I live in a small town and cannot find as much variety of produce in general... for example, if I want to make borscht with fresh produce, I have to bring beets home from Omaha (about 90 min. away).

So while I don't think you have it as bad as it could be, my suggestion on improving taste for your family is to try to make variety. Make stir fry one day and then a stew another day. As far as a roast, carrots and onions (and potatoes, though they are more dense in calories) go well, and a sweet potato in the oven works well (not so much in a roast).
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    I buy Frozen produce from Aldi. 12oz berries (mixed and blueberries) are $2.29 (wegmans is $4.49 for 16oz) and I buy frozen peas/corn at aldi for $0.89/lb or wegmans at $0.99/lb.

I don't really have favorite "brands." I am used to wegmans brand (local grocery store here) and their quality is amazing (they even own their own local organic farms), and since they are much cheaper than say, green giant...I could never justify spending 50% more.

Hi from Syracuse! I like Aldi's fresh produce selection as well; it's much better than you'd expect. And a big "hell yeah" to Wegmans brand. I don't think I buy name brand anything anymore.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Costco, Winco, Safeway.

You can also buy a lot when the harvests come in and preserve/pickle.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    We have a huge international market (mostly caters to Asian tastes) that has the BEST produce.....and stuff that I have never tried before that I have found super yummy. And it's not expensive. I can go in there and get a basket full that will last me at least a week, if not more for under $30.00. I've started looking for places like this to get new ideas for dinner and my daughter loves coming up with new recipes.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I live north of Pittsburgh. Between Aldi and Sam's Club, I usually don't have a problem getting fresh produce.