Hi there, let me introduce myself to YOU

Options
Hi all,

I feel like its impossible to lose weight, have a read of my story and let me know what you reckon, and what methods I should try... Thank you all.

A lil bit about myself:
I'm Eugenia from Australia, I am a female - 22 yrs old, currenly weighing 87.4kg (170cm tall) and just keep putting on grams each day...
When I came to australia in 2000, I grew up very quickly/sudden and I have always been a slim, girl. In 2007, I weighted 58kg (169cm tall) I have noticed to have irregular periods. I've went to doctor and my doctor recommended to take birth control injections to regulate my pms. It was the worse ever suggestion and I wish I could take it all back and never listened to that doctor, who cares if I had irregular periods (thought doctors should know best - most are hopeless). So I have taken two injections during that year which was 2007. In Dec 2007 I weighted 81kg and I only noticed it in December, I dont know how I didnt notice whilst looking mirror that I cant fit in any of my clothes I've started to worry and therefore stopped the injection. This has ruined my life, especially whilst in high school. By not taking the injections I've lost about 5kgs which brought me back to 76kg, but I look horrible, not slim at all. I looked like a balloon!

In early 2008 I've started going gym but its was about 1hr away from my home, which made inconvinient and hard to get to by public transport. So i quit the gym after 6months. In 2008 I've started university so it was a long distance walking to it from train station so I had alot of fast walking exercise there didnt really need another gym. In 2009, I weighted 78kgs, all that xmas food, haha. So I've started Tony Ferguson diet (shakes) and I did notice grams dropping (about 3-4weeks on it) but I was constantly constipated and then when I stopped drinking them, I've gained weight and was at 84kg. I got sick and tired of trying different things - just aint working for me. :sad:
I have alot of fluid retention, pretty much everywhere - how do you get rid of it?

In Jan 2010, I weighted 85kgs, I decided to join another gym, this time this one was 20min walking distance from home. I started off with a trainer for about 1-2months, I've lost about 1kg and when i stopped training with a trainer (1time per week) and started to go on my own. I've gained 1.5kg back - cant win can I! With full time study and part time work, I could only manage going once a week and sometimes none but atleast once a month I do sauna sessions for about 3-4hrs. In 2011, Im still a member of the same gym, just recently finished university in April 2011. At the moment I only got time for gym 1 day per week, but ive recently in March 2011 got myself a cross trainer at home - just because of busy schedule. (Havent used the xtrainer just yet).

Last week on Friday i think it was I heard of this Herbalife and seems like alot of people used it and seems genuine. I thought I would try it too. So I've weighted on Monday 2/5/2011 86.6kg. My coach put me on protein plus starter pack (Protein powder, vanilla shake and multivitamin), I started to replace 2 meals, taking 3 times a day multivitamin and 1 colourful meal and of course having health snacks in between as well as 2.5litres of water each day. Today is 04/5/2011 and I weight 87.4kg (havent measured my cm's), I feel tired, my hands are shaky and dont feel too well. But I am giving my best to give this diet a go, but I have some questions too, can anyone help me out? It's hard for me to ask my coach as I feel she may just be one of the marketing people and I'd like someone who already tried it before or on it right now to try answer these below:

Herbalife Questions:
When you get to your goal weight, can you stop the Herbalife products and move on to a healthy diet (eg. Low GI or High protein diet with vegies and fruits) or do you have to take Herbalife for entire life years?

Since I've started on Herbalife, I've noticed my pee is lime (neon) green - is there something I should be concerned about?

What is the best flavour in shakes? I havent got a blender at home (will get one soon). I got vanilla at the moment.

Is it worthwhile taking these products?

Thank you for those who read this. :smile:
Ps. I Hope I didnt miss anything - felt like I was writing a book haha :laugh:

Replies

• angeleyes13
    angeleyes13 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Eugenia

I read you post with interest and felt very sad that you have not been supported, especially by healthcare professionals.

I want to help if that's ok, but making a couple of suggestions.
    The first is to do with your irregular cycle - have you been tested for polycystic ovary syndrome? This can cause the symptoms you described - irregular periods, etc. It can also cause a real weight issue as your female hormones are sort of 'not in tune' with the other hormones in your body. As a result, you can put on weight and have really trouble losing it as your metabolism slows.
    I may be completely wrong, But do google PCOS ans have a look at the symptoms. There is treatment for it - they use a drug called Metformin (which is used for people with type II diabetes) which balances the glucose uptake in your body.
    The reason I though of this is that I have had lots of fertility treatment in the last year and the hormonal drugs have made me put on weight for the first time in my life (I'm 44). I'm used to be the 'skinny one' in the group and it is weird to suddenly not be. But I have talked to a lot of females of different ages who have the same issues as me

The second thing is this: the thing you have to think about when 'starting' a diet, there will come a time that you have to 'finish' - you know this as you have no guide for when you 'finish' Herblife.
    It has to be a change in lifestyle, so that it is a natural thing incorporated into your life.

One last thing - don't be so hard on yourself - so many of us have many who would criticise us, we don't need to be so hard on ourselves.
    I wish you so much luck and know that you will find the right balance in your life - you deserve it
    Ax
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have never used herbalife but I have tried lots of things before mfp and I can honestly say counting calories and exercising is the only thing thats really worked for me. As I haven't used herbalife I can't comment on how great it is but with things like that I would worry how easy it would be to maintain afterwards. If you use mfp to count your calories and slowly tweak your diet here and there for example adding more protein, slowly lowering your calories, working on your sodium intake (which helps prevent water retention), you will be a lot better of when it comes to maintain, as you will have slowly improved your diet. If you just come off the herbalife diet your literally throwing yourself in at the deep end. 

I  recommend just counting your calories, exercising and eating back the majority of your exercise calories and working on different areas of your diet over time. 

Just my opinion though, all the best with your weight loss 

Katy
  • MissHollyGolightly
    Options
    OH dear, Have you had your thyroid checked?
    I just started herbalife myself and I´ve heard and read from many people that they got the best result by drinking two shakes a day and eating healthy snacks or the herbalife snacks between and then a regular healthy meal at 6 or seven in the evening and than a healthy snack or herbalife snack if they crave something in the evening. I think it´s because when you are not allowed to eat anything else you just go and binge and give up..but with this you still control your diet but still get something else so maybe it´s easier to stick to the diet. I haven´t tried many kinds of herbalife shakes, only chocolate, vanilla and cookies and cream, My fave is chocolate of these but cookies and cream is also very good. I chop down bananas and freeze them and but them in the blender with soya milk, the powder and icecubes. But I have to find out more recipes too! Hope you succeed your goals!
  • essbe
    essbe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I don't have the willpower to live on shakes but my hubby does and he has twice lost a large amount of weight using herbalife. He had the shakes during the day instead of breakfast and lunch, and then had a regular meal at dinner.
    He always put it all back on again afterwards, so it worked to loose the weight for an event (our wedding was one time he did it :) ) but doesn't seem to be a longterm fix.
    This site is great though, making it so easy to count calories, seems a much longer term solution to me :D
    All the best!
  • angel_reborn
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind and supporting replies, I appreciate it all.

I did forget to add little more information to my story but you guys get what im on about anyway. I will definately will have a look at polycystic ovary syndrome could be worthwhile thank you angeleyes.

Below is what I missed out on my story
    During the December month of 2010, I have found I had some symptoms of hypoclemia, I got my sugar blood tested and it was a result of 2.1 (normal levels are from 4-7) then I went on a low gi diet and Ive normalized my sugar level. But because I've started this Herbalife i didnt know how would it make my body react and so I got hit with like a brick lol. Today being my 2nd day of herbalife, I felt like i was going to faint today - i had shaky hands, light headed, dizzy.... not a good feeling at all. I believe the shakes and vitamins im taking are no good - they mess my sugar levels so I hope that something will be reasearched to suit me whilst taking Herbalife.

Thanks so much for your reply sbbl, thats exactly what I thought - that it only gets you to your goal weight to 'an event' and I also not a fan of shakes - i love food (why are we alive if we cant even enjoy the goodness of food - funny heh). I feel that the best way is through mfp by counting calories, eating vegies and fruits and exercise just like neonpink said. If you guys can do it - so can I! I havent really discovered the whole mfp website yet but I think it will definately keep me motivated!

Once again thank you so much :happy:
  • patklotz
    patklotz Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello Eugenia:

Firstly, I really admire your determination! As I was reading through it one thing that truly resonated with me was your determination. That is something to be proud of. Travelling a distance on public transit to get to the gym , trying new methods for weight loss, shows you are really committed to taking care of yourself. You can win this challenge because you have the WILL to do it.

I agree it would be to your advantage to speak to a medical doctor who will take the time to listen and address your needs and concerns.

I wish you much continued success because you deserve it. Stay positive.

Pat K