Feeling cold

Options
jlisah
jlisah Posts: 31 Member
I was wondering if there is a connection between being overweight my whole life and feeling cold. I am generally cool except in the summer, and have been for as long as I can remember. Granted, we keep the house around 66-68degrees in the winter. I think I feel colder right after eating a meal, but maybe that's in my head. Anyway, I'm going to work now and will read responses tonight. Thanks!

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    im not that much overweight, and i am always cold, apart from the summer when its really hot :smile:
  • eed_bookworm
    Options
    Hi!
    I recommend that you see an endocrinologist. Although a general practitioner could do a screening test for hypothyroid, an endocrinologist will do a more complete set of blood tests to ensure your thyroid is functioning appropriately. I am certainly not a doctor, but your symptoms are consistent with hypothyroid disorder.
    Best to you!
  • lifeaccordingtolily
    Options
    I have found the opposite to be true actually. I was always hot, now with 75 pounds down I am always freezing. Especially at work where they keep it pumped down to 68 degrees! Brrrrrrrrrrr........
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I am always cold now - only because I lost 35 lbs off of me :laugh:
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My fiancee and I are complete opposites, when it comes to feeling hot/cold.

I am ALWAYS cold; well, my hands and feet are, anyway. Even in the summer if I'm sitting in the shade or something, my hands will be cool to the touch. I've always been like that, despite any changes in weight. ESPECIALLY in the office- I work with all men and they like to keep it at a nice 65 degrees inside.....brrrr.

He, on the other hand, is like a walking furnace...even when it's a little chilly in the room (especially nights with the window open) he complains that he's too hot. And I can actually feel a lot of heat radiating from him... it helps keep me warm! Haha. I guess we're efficient that way.

Generally I find us to feel a lot colder in more conditions than men....but that's why I like having mine around so much- helps keep me warm (Love you, hun!) ;-)
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Im always cold! People take the mick at work because i always seem to have a coat on :-)

Ive had my blood tested twice and my thyroid is working normally!

I think some people just feel the cold more than others!
  • Cartel
    Cartel Posts: 40
    Options
    Im the opposite now. I use to be hot all the time now im always cold. I say its because I lost my insulation! Im still wearing a light jacket now....
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I've always been cold natured but since I've lost weight it's been ridiculous! It's hot outside and I spent the weekend in long-sleeves shirts, long pants, and often under a blanket!
  • jlisah
    jlisah Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in, everyone! I guess it has nothing to do with how much you weigh.
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it has anything to do with weight, but I know I'm always cold, small or big. I also get cold after eating...I had heard it's because a large portion of the blood in our bodies is shifted to the GI system to digest the food we just ate...leaving our peripheral blood flow lower and making us cold.
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    Ever since I started MFP I've noticed that these last few days/week I've been cold. I'm a hot person usually, but these days I'm freezing constantly.

I hope it's a good thing =))