Yoga?!?

Options
So I am trying to still lose my baby weight from 10 months ago...ugh. Do you think I can lose weight from doing Yoga? I want to get into something that I can do at my house while baby naps... what do you think?

Replies

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for strength and flexibility. It doesn't burn a ton of calories. It's great for your body though, and if you combine it with a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
  • abigailhe
    abigailhe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yoga is fun... but if you want to lose the baby weight Pilates is really the thing to look into! It's great for the midsection because you do tons of reps of abs. Awesome workout! Yoga is great for balance and relaxation. It's always fun to do a yoga/pilates style workout. Try getting a couple of dvd's from the library and trying it out! Good luck!
  • charliebitesback
    charliebitesback Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yoga really aids in balance and flexibility, as well as negative energy. For weight loss, however, I would definitely suggest pilates. You'll work up a nice sweat, and the exercises really strengthen and tone. I suggest Cassey Ho's instruction if you haven't seen it yet; she puts a whole new spin on pilates!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, I suggest a calorie deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    For weight loss, I suggest a calorie deficit.

This! Eat for weight loss, exercise for fitness. Exercise can help by adding a few calories to your deficit, but it's way harder to burn off 200 calories than it is to eat 200 calories less.

Congrats on the baby o:)
  • MrsSmithxo
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate your feedback I'm going to look into pilates by calorie deficit do you mean a diet?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    MrsSmithxo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone I appreciate your feedback I'm going to look into pilates by calorie deficit do you mean a diet?

If you want to call it that, sure. I call it my diet, but not A diet...because it's just the food I would normally eat, but less of it. You know the calorie deficit is what this site is all about, yeah?

Anyway, yoga is god for you. I think pilates is the devil, but who cares about my opinion. What are your goals for your body though?
  • MrsSmithxo
    Options
    Well I gained 60 lbs when I was pregnant but let's be honest that was cake not baby. Anywho, I got up to 260 and I'm down to 197 as of today. I've always struggled losing weight because I have pcos but I really want to make a lifestyle change and get back down to my goal weight around 155ish. I just started yoga and I like it but that's what sparked my question because I felt good but did not think it was burning any calories. I'm tracking all my food on here to help me be more accountable.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    MrsSmithxo wrote: »
    So I am trying to still lose my baby weight from 10 months ago...ugh. Do you think I can lose weight from doing Yoga? I want to get into something that I can do at my house while baby naps... what do you think?

Try DDP Yoga. It's a more intense version of yoga using dynamic resistance. . I'm on my second round of it and I really like it. I was still lifting weights at the gym and used it as a second workout but I did drop a few pounds and inches with the addition of the yoga.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    YOGA!

yoga_fire_by_tito_miranda-d5kxbdv.jpg
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do hot yoga and it's wonderful. Remember to drink plenty of water.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yoga will help you tone up and lose some inches, but you might not see the scale move much because it's not a high calorie burner. As others have suggested, Pilates, DDP Yoga, PiYo, etc are great because they combine yoga moves with resistance training. You appear to be new to MFP, there are some great pinned posts in the weight loss section of the community that can help you figure out the calorie range you should be eating at based on your activity level. I checked your profile and saw that you are from NC. I am too, feel free to add me as a buddy if you'd like! :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    The answer to your real question (can I lose fat and gain muscle by using Yoga as my primary form of exercise?) depends entirely on what sort of Yoga you are doing.

"Hatha?" or "Gentle?" great for those recovering from surgery, injury, or as a supplemental activity for stress reduction and flexibility improvement.

"Yoga for Strength," "Ashtanga," and "Power" Yoga? usually has real weight bearing moves that are comparable to "convict conditioning" or "your body is your gym" type workouts. If you are serious about transforming your body condition, these are where you need to look.

There are hundreds of varieties of yoga classes taught in US studios and gyms. Some are better as meditation, others are just moderate stretching, and some are a legit strength-building workout. Choose wisely and go forth if it's what you enjoy most....the exercise you like is the one you'll stick with!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    There is a great video on the internet about this man, who was injured, and was told he could not walk let alone run. So he gained weight, and after feeling sorry for himself, he joined DDP Yoga ( now DDP is a retired wrestler, who started his own Yoga studio). at the end of the video he was able to Run and he lost allot of weight.
    If you eat right, you must certainly lose weight with Yoga.