I'm so hungry!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    There is no most important meal of the day......sounds like a breakfast cereal commercial. No it doesn't get your metabolism going.....total myth. Skipping breakfast primes your body for the most effecient fat burning possible. Why people fail to realize this is beyond me.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Hi
    A few times every month I try to get back into a sensible diet however every day around 4ish I pig out. Help!

Eat a pre-emptive small protein snack before the hungar pains hit (say a few almonds around 3pm)
  • Kayceeg27
    Kayceeg27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is no most important meal of the day......sounds like a breakfast cereal commercial. No it doesn't get your metabolism going.....total myth. Skipping breakfast primes your body for the most effecient fat burning possible. Why people fail to realize this is beyond me.

I have read plenty of information that indicates that time of the first meal of the day is acutally important. However I have never seen anything indicating the skiping the first meal helps burn fat. I did some looking and couldn't find anything concrete to back this up. Where did you obtain this information? I would be really interested to seeing an opposing perspective with scientific data
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Where would ones energy come from in the morning if you don't eat breakfast.....just some food for thought.
  • 4theking
    Options
    The adrenal hormones during fasting, raise body temperature, increase free fatty acids, and raise metabolism.
    Skip breakfast. It is easier to get through the hunger in the morning and allows for more calories later. Also, fiber and protein help.

It's commonly said to be the most important meal of the day, and I believe that. It just makes sense. You haven't eaten all night while you were sleeping, so it gets your metabolism going for the day. Just my thoughts. :)

So what sources do you have to back up this claim? How does it "prime" your body?
  • musicoflife08
    Options
    I think eating breakfast depends on the person. If not eating breakfast works for you, that's good.

I eat breakfast everyday, because I feel like crap if I don't. I've lost 11 lbs. so far so, for me, eating breakfast works.

So, it just depends on the person. :)
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    Wonderful. So I shoud just take a stranger's word for it off an internet forum? Do you have any links to information on the subject? Who told you this? Where is this coming from? Because within moments I could have a huge list of sources explaining how important breakfast is.

The adrenal hormones during fasting, raise body temperature, increase free fatty acids, and raise metabolism.
    Skip breakfast. It is easier to get through the hunger in the morning and allows for more calories later. Also, fiber and protein help.

It's commonly said to be the most important meal of the day, and I believe that. It just makes sense. You haven't eaten all night while you were sleeping, so it gets your metabolism going for the day. Just my thoughts. :)

So what sources do you have to back up this claim? How does it "prime" your body?
  • 4theking
    Options
    I feel the love! Don't have any direct sources in front of me but I have done countless hours of research.

This is a good read http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
    Wonderful. So I shoud just take a stranger's word for it off an internet forum? Do you have any links to information on the subject? Who told you this? Where is this coming from? Because within moments I could have a huge list of sources explaining how important breakfast is.

• 4theking
    Options
    I think eating breakfast depends on the person. If not eating breakfast works for you, that's good.

I eat breakfast everyday, because I feel like crap if I don't. I've lost 11 lbs. so far so, for me, eating breakfast works.

So, it just depends on the person. :)

If you slowly transitioned into it, I am betting you would feel just fine. It takes some time for your body to get used to burning nothing but fat for energy.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    'In essence, people who ate breakfast could control their energy intake better for the rest of the day. They didn't gain any weight but the breakfast skipping group did. Fat gain always affects insulin sensitivity and other health parameters negatively. Thus what people took this to mean is that breakfast is healthy and improves insulin sensitivity. Which isn't at all what the study showed."

So it's sort of similar to studies that show that people who drink diet soda are heavier than those that don't, just because they tend to have other bad habits in addition to diet soda. Still, I say breakfast is a good idea because I truly do think it helps people control their energy intake for the rest of the day. I don't think it will make you fat or mess up your metabolism if you skip it. I just know from personal experience if I'm hungry and on the go (which I am on the go) I'm more likely to grab an unhealthy snack. If I force myself to sit down every morning and eat a solid breakfast, I do much, much better with the rest of my day.

I feel the love! Don't have any direct sources in front of me but I have done countless hours of research.

This is a good read http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree with this statement, It is generally known that all meals are important INCLUDING BREAKFAST. If you have found information otherwise then post it, don't just give out info that might or might not be true without anything to back it up. Why you would fail to realize that is beyond me.

• e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i want to steer this conversation AWAY from the breakfast debate and ask what sort of things i can eat for snacks that are low in sugar and calories but really filling...i'm on 1360 calories today and have a busy day with no time for exercise, so don't have a lot of lee-way with my calories...and i'm starving!!!
  • 4theking
    Options
    Exactly! The studies that everyone preaches as gospel are very misleading. If eating breakfast controls you from eating more later than I would stick with what works for you. I was just giving the original poster an option.
    'In essence, people who ate breakfast could control their energy intake better for the rest of the day. They didn't gain any weight but the breakfast skipping group did. Fat gain always affects insulin sensitivity and other health parameters negatively. Thus what people took this to mean is that breakfast is healthy and improves insulin sensitivity. Which isn't at all what the study showed."

So it's sort of similar to studies that show that people who drink diet soda are heavier than those that don't, just because they tend to have other bad habits in addition to diet soda. Still, I say breakfast is a good idea because I truly do think it helps people control their energy intake for the rest of the day. I don't think it will make you fat or mess up your metabolism if you skip it. I just know from personal experience if I'm hungry and on the go (which I am on the go) I'm more likely to grab an unhealthy snack. If I force myself to sit down every morning and eat a solid breakfast, I do much, much better with the rest of my day.

• starboardzor
    Options
    i want to steer this conversation AWAY from the breakfast debate and ask what sort of things i can eat for snacks that are low in sugar and calories but really filling...i'm on 1360 calories today and have a busy day with no time for exercise, so don't have a lot of lee-way with my calories...and i'm starving!!!

Apples are notorious for being a good filling food. Lots of fiber. If I'm starving an apple will almost always shut me up.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Did you try cuties? They are like mini oranges and only 40 calories an orange and like 4 grams of sugar or something.. those things keep me full for a bit.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Back to the topic of being hungry and what snacks to eat... :smile:

1) It will probably help you to spread your meals/snacks out so that you eat about 6 times per day - about every 3 hours. This is also good in that it will keep your metabolism revved up.

2) Try to eat a carb coupled with protein. COMPLEX carbs are good for fiber, and the protein makes it digest more slowly and keeps you feeling fuller longer.

Suggestions:

Salad with grilled chicken
    Apples with peanut butter
    Raw veggies with hummus or salsa for dip
    Chili with extra beans
    Steel cut oats cooked in almond milk
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt with fresh berries mixed in
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I haven't read everyone's comments so this may have already been said. But maybe 1200 is a bit too low? MFP's suggestions are just general guidelines that wont work for everyone. If 1200 is way to hard for you, maybe try to set your goals a little less aggressive and see how that goes?
  • Kayceeg27
    Kayceeg27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that controlled fasting is different that skipping breakfast or any meal consistently, regardless I think that I get your point. But i'm not sure the logic isn't flawed. Thank you for inspiring me to do some research! I will have to check into this more closely for the days that I feel like I am eating because its time to eat and not becasue I am hungry.
    Where would ones energy come from in the morning if you don't eat breakfast.....just some food for thought.