Increasing Dumbell Weight

Options
I got some new adjustable dumbbells for Christmas because I am ending the gym membership and trying at home. They only go up to 20lbs and on some exercises I use 35lbs. Anyone have suggestions on what I can do to increase the weight without buying new dumbbells? I was thinking maybe some wrist weights... anyone try? I was doing the NROLFW.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no suggestions, but I'm thinking of getting a set of those adjustable weights as well, but I'll definitely be getting the ones that go to 50 lbs. each. They are quite bulky, as is much larger than a standard dumbell, but would be handy.

I've never used wrist weights, so I'm not sure how effective or safe they would be. I do use ankle weights regularly to do leg exercises, so maybe wrist weights would work? I'll be interested to see what others have to say about this...
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts. The adjustable are great. I just feel bad getting a gift and saying it isn't good enough :S Some brands are less bulky than others too, depends on the shape. A friend has the box shaped ones, but mine look more traditional.
  • brandonrw43
    brandonrw43 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can up with is getting some tension bands. I have a set I got from Walmart. Don't remember how much I paid for them. The good thing is that it's safe to use and you can adjust the tension with the different bands that comes with them and they are color coded so you know what tension weights they support. Hope this helps.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Can you exchange/upgrade the gift? If not, you could add 3 sets of hex dumbbells to get up to your 35 lbs.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What I did before buying 90lb adjustables was tie smaller weights on one dumbbell. It's very limiting both in terms of exercises and ultimately strength gains. If your overall goal isn't strength then increased sets and reps are an inefficient alternative but, an alternative nonetheless.

Unrelated to anyone considering adjustables for the long haul, coming from a Selecttech owner, is to look at the Power Blocks that you can buy barbell and kettlebar attachments for. Gives more options for home workouts.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You're gonna exceed even that 35lbs pretty quickly so I'd get the right tools for the job. Are they expandable at all? If they're just standard (or olympic) DB handles with some plates, you can probably get more plates for relatively short money. Post up what you got.

For example, I have some cheapy olympic DB handles and I think I could fit 150lbs of plates on them if I wanted (currently have 100lbs each for rows). I think I only paid $40 for the DB handles, and I already have a million plates for my barbell work so it was really cheap overall.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    They are ones that come as a set, you select the size with the clicker (similar to the Bow Flex adjustable but cost half the price). So I don't think I can just add plates unfortunately, the handle may be too large in diameter. I wish I did just have the handles to add plates, maybe later as I am hoping to buy a barbell set to add to my at home gym.
    As for the increasing beyond 35 lbs, I WISH! I think I was doing a few exercises with one 40lb, but that was it, my little fingers can't hold more than 30-35lbs per.