eating healthy on a college kid budget

Options
i just started dieting again and it is hard sometimes having very little money to spend on food. i tend to eat unhealthy because it is fast, easy, and cheap...I know all bad reasons! So does anyone have some cheap and easy diet plans for day to day basis??:happy: :happy:

Replies

• kkremer522
    Options
    i just started dieting again and it is hard sometimes having very little money to spend on food. i tend to eat unhealthy because it is fast, easy, and cheap...I know all bad reasons! So does anyone have some cheap and easy diet plans for day to day basis??:happy: :happy:
  • Lynn1987
    Options
    I am totally in the same boat! I can't spend a fortune on groceries ANDI hate cooking! lol
  • kkremer522
    Options
    I agree...i guess I just figure i'm going to have to cook a ton later in life so i'm holding off now lol i really just don't like cleaning up haha has anything worked for you? i'm having a hard time sticking to something
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I watch a lot for when lean cuisine or healthy choice are on sale and stock up. Frozen veggies are good too, if you catch them on sale you can stock up (if you have freezer space) then just toss them in the microwave with some seasoning. Packets of Oatmeal are a good breakfast/snack. Hope this helps
  • fortiter00
    fortiter00 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Microwaveable Lean Cuisine's on sale can be found at Pathmark etc. for about $2.50 a piece to $3.00, Healthy Choice about the same, I like the Lean Cuisine's because they stack better in the freezer. If Sam's Club is a choice Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast is easy to cook with some basmati rice and won't kill your budget either. I ate a lot of broiled chicken breast in college with just some rice and broccoli. The chicken and broccoli are frozen, so you don't have to worry about it if you don't cook it right away. The amount is good for a couple weeks with just a couple packages and you can precook your weeks meals on the weekend. Hope this helps.
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    Having just coming out of college and now starting to work. I like frozen meals bulked up with extra veggies I add, also soups are great, Subway when you are on the run, sandwiches, healthy fruit and veggie snacks to have during and between classes also makes sure you don't pig out if you decide to hit the cafeteria!
  • kristinwilleke
    Options
    I clip coupons out of the sunday paper...may seem kinda old-fashioned, but it can save so much money, and lots of times they have lean cuisine/frozen meal coupons
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm in college and yes, on a pretty tight budget too. I have a meal plan, but the cafeteria gets kind of boring.

My tricks that make my dormmates go "How the hell do you spend so little on all that FOOD?!"

- Frozen frozen frozen. Fruits and veggies that is. They are often more nutritious than fresh produce because they were frozen right after harvest, preserving the vitamins. Just check the sodium, if you care about that thing. Lean Cuisines are pretty cheap too, but check the nutritionals.

- If buying fresh produce, check what's seasonal. Seasonal is cheaper.

- Make friends with workers at your grocery and get them to let you in on when the markdowns and sales are. Utterly indispensable.

- Get cards and coupons for any store you visit. Also, check the overarching company. For example, I can use my Randall's card at Safeway, because they are owned by the same people.

- Go local. Local as in farmers' markets. Very often you can cut deals and get stuff cheaper. And you support local agriculture!

- Suss out your cafeteria. I can just buy apples and oranges from mine. I've also bought raw ingredients to make my own meals, such as onions. I pay more than at a grocery store, but it figures into my prepaid meal plan, so in essence it's "free." Just, respectfully, walk into the back kitchens and ask.
  • MelsaEstel
    MelsaEstel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    To feed off of Phoenix's suggestions...

We were able to take bags into our cafeteria, take yours in and grab an apple or orange to take as a snack between classes. Sometimes just having these healthy snacks will make us eat less at our regular meals.

As for bargains...follow the bulk idea. Add frozen veggies to most anything. I had some of the "weight watchers" soup (I don't remember the brand, but it gives the point amount on the label), and one cup was 60 calories. Once I added a bunch of frozen veggies, I had too much soup, I threw some out, and it only added a few more calories.

I know that it isn't always easy to find low cal/fat foods. Sometimes it's just in how you prepare things.
    Substitute:
    Butter spray for regular butter
    Egg beaters for real eggs (1/4 cup=1 egg)
    Splenda for sugar

If you are going out to eat or eating on the run, sometimes it helps to research the place you will be eating and form a plan. Know what you are going to order, and put it in your food journal before you go. You'll be better educated on the calories and fat you are consuming, and you'll be more likely to stick with that decision instead of caving and getting something loaded with fat.

Hope these help!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I am currently in grad-school and it is tough... especially in the UK.

But cooking in bulk can save a lot of money (and time in the long run). you can freeze individual portions from a large pot of veggie soup. I also find that the "cheap, unhealthy" food is not always as cheap and often way more unhealthy than we convince ourselves into thinking. Top ramen seems really cheap, but a bag of rice or potatoes runs close to the same amount of money (per serving) and there is no question as to which option would be more healthful. Also, if you boil several servings of rice, that is a great and fast meal ready for later.

Hope this helps.
  • bonnykate
    Options
    To quote the insurance commercial, I'm so there. If you're stuck in the dorms with very little food storage space, then it really can be hard to save money by making your meals and/or stay healthy. However, I manage to save considerably and eat healthily, even when I can't cook it myself, by following some simple guidelines.

NEVER BUY BRAND NAME
    Unless you absolutely have to. Store brands are much cheaper and taste the same. However, keep an eye out for sales - sometimes brand name items are actually cheaper. Check the cost per ounce on the label to make sure.

SHOP OUTLETS
    There's an Enteman's Outlet in my town; check and see if there are any food outlets where you live. They offer the same stuff at much cheaper rates.

BUY IN BULK
    I know this one seems crazy if you live in a dorm, but with non-perishables, it's the best way to go. If there's a COSTCO in your city, find someone with a membership and get them to take you shopping (you pay, of course :wink: ). For perishable items, it's great to get friends together and go in on bulk purchases - you save the same ampunt, but don't have to figure out where to put all that food.

CUT DOWN ON EATING OUT
    Your dorm probably has a fridge where you can store food; take advantage of it. Use the dorm kitchen to make meals. This is another great chance to get your friends in on the fun - cooking will go much faster, and everyone can help pay for it. The cafeteria is an okay option, but when you do, be sure to keep track of what you're eating - cafeterias ofter use full-fat ingredients because they're cheaper. I know my school lists their nutritional information online. As to eating out, that's okay to do sometimes - just budget your money so you can afford to buy a healthier meal - it will be more enjoyable, you'll feel better, and you'll get to enjoy someone else doing to cooking guilt free!

EXERCISE
    Last, but not least, be SURE to exercise. It helps you sleep better, feel better, be happier, and look great too - plus, I bet your school probably is already taking a chunk of change from you to help keep up the gym. Go use it - you might as well get your money's worth :wink: .

Good Luck! :drinker: