would you say something if your gym instructor was berating

Options
this one instructor for spin is very motivating but almost beratingly so...she calls her sunday class the dehydrated hangover crowd and it is just so not true. There are different people that go to classes on the weekends vs the weekdays.

She also comes around and checks to see if our heart rates are where they need to be when it is a 90% challenge as if she doesn't believe we are working hard enoughfrom her point of view and I know that is her thinking because when she cam to me I said "why don't you believe us?" she was actually surprised that everyone was at 90%...but her at 90% looks different from what each of us look like at 90%. Different speeds and exertion levels.you know.

Then yesterday she had to take over the Tuesday mixed cardio class for the original instructor that broke her finger and she was biserk with all the wild exercise she was doing. Most of the class could not do them at all.

OK I am talking body bar chest presses with piking your legs at the same time. Then these moves where you are on hands and toes like push up position and then lift opposing hand and leg and twist to the side.

One lady pulled something and maybe even passed out, but the instructor gave her a "pass" becasue she is bouncing back from cancer but I up and left the class with all her crazy moves.

No one could do half of it so most of us never got a good workout at all.

I understand she is trying to get a good workout herself but at the sacrifice of everyone else? I just want to tell her that maybe she should have showed us some more modified moves or alternatives or just cut us some slack since 5 of the class memebers were older ladies that always do mdified moves but had no idea how to modify her stuff.

Replies

• Slaying_All_Day
    Slaying_All_Day Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hell yes I would! She sounds very rude.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'd say something. It sounds as though her classes are geared for people who want to move from 'fit' to 'extremely fit' and should be labeled accordingly.

When she teaches classes that are filled with beginners, she needs to show some flexibility and either adjust the pace or clearly demonstrate modifications. Good instructors do this without being told. ;)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If the major of the class feels that why then a group of you should approach the management regarding her instruction style. Its sounds like she is use to teaching bootcamp style or more advance classes and she doesn't know how to switch it off.
  • Kirk_D
    Kirk_D Posts: 85
    Options
    Sounds like she needs to lighten up!
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    I'd say something to the gym... and encourage others to as well. If she's great for the really fit or certain styles of classes, then she should teach only those.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I did it. I had a "trainer" at LA Fitness...and the little you know what was so rude it wasnt even funny. I told her I wanted to run a 10k in 45-1:00 and she looked at me gave me that look slutty stuck up girls do and said "Thats really hard" and I said "I disagree" and after our session I told her manager
  • bex22mcn
    bex22mcn Posts: 90
    Options
    I would defifnitely say something - you pay for the classes you are entitled to a good workout not snide comments/ impossible moves!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    yeah that was the word I was looking for "bootcamp" style...that's her! and yes we are a mixed bunch in the class maybe she is waiting for us to tell her our limitations first....like, " I have a back injury" or " I am a beginner"

but you're right a good instructor would offer alternatives all along the way in class.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    She sounds a bit dangerous.....
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I would say something if this keeps up. Leading a person in exercise is not an opportunity to kill them, but instead to guide them to a higher level of fitness. You have to meet people where they are and push them from that point . . .not go to extremes. What benefit is it if they are passing out or getting up and leaving?
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    A good question is, if you were a beginner and had her, even as a substitute for one class.....How many of those beginner students have quit all together because they were so turned off by her actions that they never want to return?

I would absolutely say something to the management. Good customer service and respect should be expected from all instructors, even substitutes. If she cannot adapt to the class, there's no reason she should expect the class to adapt to her. To push you further and encourage you is one thing, but to push you so far in something you don't know how to do, that could potentially injure you, and to be rude about it, is wrong.

Gym instructors have NO right to berate anyone in that gym. Just being there, you're taking a step towards being a better person, you're not paying for the gym membership to be made to feel that you are not worthy.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    A good question is, if you were a beginner and had her, even as a substitute for one class.....How many of those beginner students have quit all together because they were so turned off by her actions that they never want to return?

I would absolutely say something to the management. Good customer service and respect should be expected from all instructors, even substitutes. If she cannot adapt to the class, there's no reason she should expect the class to adapt to her. To push you further and encourage you is one thing, but to push you so far in something you don't know how to do, that could potentially injure you, and to be rude about it, is wrong.

Gym instructors have NO right to berate anyone in that gym. Just being there, you're taking a step towards being a better person, you're not paying for the gym membership to be made to feel that you are not worthy.

AGREED!! took the words right our of my mouth!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I sent her a very casual email telling her that I look forward to exercising but at times her message and her exeercise routines can be a bit harsh and she actually called me!!!

Yikes!!

But she did say she appreciated the feedback and wants her clients to tell her up front what we can and can't do, our health/injury body limitations and that sort of thing.

She says she makes those comments to the ones in the class that know that they are part of the hangover crowd and only barely make it to Sunday spinning and I should not take it personally since it's not really directed at me, but still I told her that she is like a machine and we may not all be at her level but are still up for the challenge as long as exercise is also fun as well as challenging but still DoAble.