Help! I need a better workout schedule

Options
Hey guys! I need your help to get my schedule in order.

I do insanity, Krav maga, running and lift weights. Although I haven't been lifting lately, I want to get back to it. I was doing insanity at the crack of dawn and I'm uping my running mileage to 5 miles instead of the 3. I'm paying for Krav maga which I love.

I just seem to be having difficulty getting this all on a realistic schedule without sacrificing anything. As I said before I haven't been lifting and I can't become a better runner if i don't run lol.

Any advice from anyone who does multiple forms of exercise?

P.S Please no judgmental tones at the amount of exercise i do. I would greatly appreciate only positivity

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Although you listed the types of exercises you do, you haven't listed how much exercise you do. Can you outline your schedule for the last 7 days?
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'll assume your Krav classes already have a schedule, so that one may already be picked for you! As for the others, could you do running 3 days a week, Insanity 3 days a week, and then lifting 2-3 days a week? I usually do cardio in the mornings after I get off of work 5 days a week and then I do weight lifting Monday/Wednesday/Friday in the evenings after I wake up.
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Although you listed the types of exercises you do, you haven't listed how much exercise you do. Can you outline your schedule for the last 7 days?

I have been running everyday for the past 3 days , i did insanity wednesday morning and Krav Monday, tuesday, and Thursday
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Go running to the gym and lift weights and then run back

That should solve it

You're welcome :smile:
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You'll probably have to prioritize which is most important to you as a primary workout for a specific time frame and then work in the supplemental workouts. Every month may not be the same. I do lots of different things but not all at once. I switch things up to keep things exciting. Just listen to your body and don't over exercise. You can't do any of them if you are hurt.
  • Gallen88
    Options
    I'll assume your Krav classes already have a schedule, so that one may already be picked for you! As for the others, could you do running 3 days a week, Insanity 3 days a week, and then lifting 2-3 days a week? I usually do cardio in the mornings after I get off of work 5 days a week and then I do weight lifting Monday/Wednesday/Friday in the evenings after I wake up.

Insanity is , an all honesty, for endurance purposes. It increases my endurance and stamina like crazy to be able to do everything else lol. I may have to scale it back to 3 times a week like you suggested
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Go running to the gym and lift weights and then run back

That should solve it

You're welcome :smile:

BAM!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Gallen88 wrote: »

What are your objectives? I'd suggest establishing a focus and structuring around that.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    That's a lot to try to fit into a week, and honestly, doing insanity and running would probably put you at the point of diminishing returns for your effort. I would probably do a cardio/strength day split, with the krav maga classes falling where they will due to class schedule. On the cardio days, do insanity or go running, don't do both. You might start seeing better results by cutting back on your exercise slightly and giving your body more recovery time.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I need your help to get my schedule in order.

I do insanity, Krav maga, running and lift weights. Although I haven't been lifting lately, I want to get back to it. I was doing insanity at the crack of dawn and I'm uping my running mileage to 5 miles instead of the 3. I'm paying for Krav maga which I love.

I just seem to be having difficulty getting this all on a realistic schedule without sacrificing anything. As I said before I haven't been lifting and I can't become a better runner if i don't run lol.

P.S Please no judgmental tones at the amount of exercise i do. I would greatly appreciate only positivity

Gallen,

Absolutely no judgment. :smiley::D<3 Why do you think people would judge you? Everybody does what works for them.

I do multiple types of exercise- I weight lift 3 times a week and on the same day I do some form of cardio- usually cross-trainer elliptical or a 3.5 - 4 mile run. On alternate days, I run 4-5 miles, or maybe do a slow 30-35 minute run on one of those alternate days.

My only advice is to pick a time that works for you. On four weekdays I get up at 4 am and go to the gym. On one of those days (Tuesday), I cook breakfast and share it with the beau before he goes to work, so I run before work at 7 or I go to the gym for my run after work. On Saturday and Sunday, I just make sure I get the time in; on Sunday I may choose to just walk or not do exercise that day. It just depends on what I want to do, but I generally feel better physically if I move every single day.

My advice is to just make the time to do your exercise Think of it as taking care of you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have been running everyday for the past 3 days , i did insanity wednesday morning and Krav Monday, tuesday, and Thursday

Yep, that sounds similar to my schedule. Just pick your times to exercise other than for those classes that are already scheduled and you can't change, and run with it! (ha, ha, pun intended). :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I prioritized based on the results I want. I lift 5-6 days a week. I warm up for 10 minutes, lift for an hour or so and then do HIIT training for 15-20 minutes, then stretch. On days I don't lift, I do steady state cardio. Friday night, Saturday and Sunday I'll lift a little longer because I'm not under pressure to get home to get ready for work the next day. I am working on body composition.

It sounds like you might be double dipping for endurance with both the insanity and the running. Maybe alternate them so you can lift more? It all depends on what your short/long term goals are.
  • swoledier_em
    Options
    I do what I can. I lift 5 days a week because that's my #1. On top of that, I do about 20 minutes of cardio and then I ride horses a few times a week. What I do is block off a certain amount of time for exercise, in my case, it's an hour and a half in the gym/cardio. It can be done all at once, or throughout the day. Riding is an evening thing so usually everything else is done in the morning. Depends on your lifestyle though.

And, not going to lie, depending on your goals and life, some things may have to give. Or you can talk to a trainer to see about creating a program that involves working towards everything you want to do, for instance, with weight training, maybe focus on a program that's more endurance based which will only assist your running etc.
  • Gallen88
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    trade insanity for a weights program.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do zumba. It's amazing.