Do you have a 'healthy Junk Food' ?

Options
I am always looking for tasty snacks. I also want to keep to my plan. Is there a healthy 'junk food' you want to share? Please if possible add nutritional facts.
I'm from Canada so i don't know if these are available everywhere
Veggie Straws: 68 straws, 240 cal, 13g fat (1.5 sat) 360 mg sodium, carb 29g, protein 1g...geez not as healthy as i thought as i am writing this down but if you want something 'bad' there is a lot worse out there. I want something better
What is out there with more protein? I don't typically eat anything out of a box/bottle/bag/can so what do you eat when you are eating healthy and need some junk butt don't want to add it to the trunk? pun intended

Replies

• daedalus01
    daedalus01 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros, eat whatever your heart desires. Put aside daily calories for what you consider a "bad" food, and enjoy it.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had a cookies and cream quest bar earlier today, tastes like it's bad for you. But it's definitely not.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well, "junk" or "filler-up?" I don't eat out of a bag either, if you mean processed, like potato chips etc. Way too easy to go over! My filler-ups are nuts (walnut, almonds, cashews) and dried fruit like raisins, figs and apricots. I find that a few of any of those things go a long way.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    My Low calorie treats with questionable nutrition:
    Berries with Cool Whip (whip 2tbs 25 cal) +
    Orville's Simply salted popcorn (25 cal per cup- can that be real!?)
    newtons fruit thins- dark chocolate & coconut (3 for 150 cal) (or most granola bars)
    Mini chocolates (around 75 to 125 cal)
  • justGAINSjason
    justGAINSjason Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    rice cakes with peanut butter or unprocessed honey for me.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    There are these fiber bars from Aldi (I think most grocery stores carry them under "Fiber One"), Oats and Peanut Butter that I have every day at 2pm at work. I keep stock in them. They help with the sweet craving. And provide fiber. Win Win.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I find 70% dark chocolate keeps my sweet cravings away quite nicely!
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Quavers
    French Fries (crispy snack, not McDonalds things)
    Cheesy Wotsits
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Dates.
    Unsalted trail mix with dark chocolate chips.
    Chocolate PB2.
    Cheese.

There are lots of amazing raw/vegan desserts you can make that are healthy and super yummy but will still be loaded with calories and sugar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My weakness is chips. I love black bean chips as a healthier snack.
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am not at home, so I don't have the nutrition info in front of me, but I end up with Kind, Luna or Lara bars a lot (especially any chocolate variety). I like the Dole chocolate-covered strawberries that you keep in the freezer (60 calories a pack). And if I need carbs and something salty, I like Rold Gold honey wheat pretzel twists.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Utz pretzels.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm sort of confused about what you are looking for. Do you just mean a snack? Is the no packaging bit part of it?

Good snacks with protein that I like are:

Greek yogurt (nutrition facts vary by brand and type, but it also comes in packaging, of course)

Cottage cheese (depends on fat percentage, I tend to like 2%, 90 calories and 14 grams of protein in 100 grams, but also comes in a tub typically)

Smoked salmon (again varies, the stuff I eat is about 120 calories for 2 oz, 14 grams of protein, and comes in packaging, although my dad occasionally sends me some home-smoked stuff)

Nuts have some protein too, although not that much per calorie, really. They also make a great snack IMO, but you have to watch portion size.

I've been considering doing some popcorn (in the pan, although I'm kind of interested in air popping), but that's not going to have much protein, of course.

Quest bars also are easy snack-like sources of protein.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    My Low calorie treats with questionable nutrition:
    Berries with Cool Whip (whip 2tbs 25 cal) +
    Orville's Simply salted popcorn (25 cal per cup- can that be real!?)
    newtons fruit thins- dark chocolate & coconut (3 for 150 cal) (or most granola bars)
    Mini chocolates (around 75 to 125 cal)

How do berries have questionable nutrition??

I don't consider any food junk for the most part, but healthy foods I love are:

Coconut Chips
    Peanut Butter
    Nuts in general
    Cheese
    Robert Irvine's Protein Bars (sooooo good)
    Items from The Protein Bakery
    Apples and Peanut Butter
    Berries
    Cherries
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! I love popcorn. 120-180 cals depending on kind for the whole bag.

I also like to bake Quest bars into cookies! Delicious and super healthy!
  • JessaWannaEatEverything
    Options
    My favorites are:
    dark chocolate covered strawberries
    Almonds - if I really want something sweet I pan fry them for 10 min w/coconut oil and cinnamon.

YUMMMM
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My "healthy" indulgence is a 70% dark chocolate square with frozen organic cherries and a small scoop of vanilla ice cream :) (sorry I dont have the nutrition on hand)

For protein...peanut butter and apples or greek yogurt and almonds or string cheese
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Spinach dip with hummus chips
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Snapea Crisps - I don't know the nutritional info off hand, but they're certainly not healthy. I think they're fried. I can easily eat an entire bag though.

Almond butter + dates - so good...