Have to go three weeks without gym access.. tips for staying in shape?

Options
heyitsanna42195
heyitsanna42195 Posts: 1
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a college sophomore(20F), and at the start of this semester (September) I started to get serious about my fitness. My goal was to tone up my stomach and thighs while keeping my curves. To do this, I focused on a lot of weight lifting and strength training, and very little cardio. I wasn't overweight to begin with(5'5 and 145lbs), I just wanted to tone up.

My college has a free gym, so while I was at school I used it 3-5x a week for an hour and a half. Now that I am home, my stepdad got me a guest pass to Planet Fitness.

However, from January 4th-22nd, I will be studying abroad in Europe. I will be staying in Venice Italy for the majority of the time, and I will be taking weekend trips to Florance, Rome, and Paris. The hotel I will be staying in in Venice does not have a gym.

I know I should be focusing on my first time in Europe and having the most fun I can, but I really REALLY don't want to mess up the progress I have made.

Are there any good workouts that are effective that I can do in my hotel room at night that don't require weights? 90% of my workouts include weights or I just use the machines. I thought about packing hand weights, but my suitcase has a 50lbs limit and weights will surely take up a good majority of that, and I don't want to pay extra for luggage heavier than 50lbs.

Also, this is my first time in Europe, so I do want to enjoy the yummy food it has to offer, so I know in advance I probably will not be eating the healthiest. I just want to know if theres anything I can do to try and stay in shape while I am over there.

Thank you in advance for the help! :)

Replies

• TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Walk outside, free workout videos on youtube, run outdoors, the possibilities are endless.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is gained and maintained, in the kitchen. I'm sure you'll be walking tons on your visit, so relax and enjoy.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    go have fun, and don't stress about not having a gym for 3 weeks this is a once in a life time trip ... Enjoy it, go back to the gym when you get home. if your worried about gaining a little do some walking. most of all HAVE fun :)
  • wildcowbell
    wildcowbell Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can you bring a copy of a workout dvd on a laptop or tablet? Jillian Michaels does some good ones. 30 day shred?
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of walking in I'm sure, since you'll likely go exploring whenever you can while you are there. You could pack a yoga mat and do some youtube routines on the days you don't get out as much. Try to enjoy yourself as much as you can, you'll kick yourself later more for not being in the moment than you will if you gain a pound. If you are worried about overdoing it food wise without tracking, drink a little black coffee before your food so you can still sample things but you won't feel hungry enough to finish your plate.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Venice is a BEAUTIFUL city to go for a walk in. Lots of bridges and narrow passageways. I am sure you will get your exercise in just exploring everyday. Also, the best pizza I have ever had came from a hole in the wall pizza place in Venice. You will have a great time!

However, check out www.fitnessblender.com or look up "fitness blender" on youtube. I love their videos! They have plenty of videos that don't require weights and they range from different lengths, difficulty, etc.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Does the hotel have a gym? Otherwise, do some body weight exercises (push-ups, all kinds of crunches/planks, squats/lunges/glute bridges) and walk everywhere. It's only 3 weeks out of your life. Enjoy yourself.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If I were only going to be in Europe for 18 days, I sure wouldn't spend it doing youtube videos in a hotel room! But to each his own.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Use walls for exercising/working out (using the weight of your own body, push off from them), use your luggage for weight....benches or footboards, chairs etc
  • jilleduffy
    jilleduffy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Apps! Try the free Johnson and Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout. There are longer workouts within it. I also love Runtastic Six Pack Abs (costs a couple of bucks for the real deal). Both of these apps have great workouts that require no weights. You can do them barefoot in a hotel room, no problem.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Walk around Europe. Try the 7 minute workout, try the "you are your own gym" app... walk around europe....have fun!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Walk around Europe. Try the 7 minute workout, try the "you are your own gym" app... walk around europe....have fun!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Definitely walk! There are stairs all over Europe, I suggest you make use of those. And dancing's a burner, go to some clubs.

edit: calories burned walking by a 130 lb (e.g., no idea) 20 y/o F for 3 hours = 491
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go running
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If I were going to hang out in Europe for a few days, I'd be looking for a bike shop that would rent me a bicycle. It's pointless to go to Europe if you aren't going to leave the hotel.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! ^.^
    You can download workout videos and do them in your room, walk, jog or bike around town, or if the hotel you're staying in has a pool, try swimming.
    As for eating, just enjoy yourself. If you don't want to gain, just stay within your calorie goal/TDEE. Have fun! :-)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Check out the Nerdfitness bodyweight exercises. And enjoy your time in Europe.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Find a Zumba class - they're global! And you'll meet interesting people. ;-)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lady, if you spend your nights in a hotel room in Italy you will need shaking

Get out

Walk. Walk. Walk

Do some push-ups, lunges and squats when you wake up

But Italy is gorgeous and you have to see it by every light
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    YouTube 'Fitness Blender' HiiT vids....some require no equipment and don't need much space. Or go on my profile and do mine...or buy a jump rope...that'll kick your @$$ - basic calisthenics - standing squats, burpees, pushups, jumping jacks. Just don't do anything...don't get cozy with the idea that's a good excuse to do nothing.