has anyone tried phentermine for weight loss?

Options
I was recently on the hcg diet and I lost 90 pounds on it I still need to lose 40 more pounds! my doctor told me to stop the hcg diet because I almost passed out on it and now my doctor put me on phentermine I just started taking it today I would like to lose 40 pounds on it with diet and exercise has anyone tried this pill and lost weight? If so how long did it take you and how much did you excerisice? and what did you eat?

Replies

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    yes i took phentermine many years ago and lost weight it curbed my appetite. i think i lost 20 lbs but i had less to lose at the time.

over time the effect wore off and i was back to poor eating habits in no time and gained all the weight back plus some.

FF 10 years later. figuring out why I'm overweight in the first place is the key to my success and continued weightloss maintenance.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I used it last year. I didn't stay on it long enough to see any significant weight loss. I hardly slept for 2 weeks straight, I was moody, I cried all the time for silly reasons and it constipated me badly. Never ever again! :(
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is a very addictive and dangerous drug.

I know someone who became a total drug addict after using it originally for weight loss. It ruined her life. Cocaine makes you lose weight, too, but it is just not worth the repercussions!

Of course, if you're in a situation where it is medically necessary and monitored by a doctor, that is different. But if you can lose the weight without it, why not just do it safely?
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was on it. Be careful after taking it daily for just a few weeks I could not wake up without it and felt horrible coming off it. I also gained back everything I lost on it and wish I never took it. If I were you I'd really do some research on it and decide if you really want to take the risk. Its basically a legal amphetamine. Some people can take it OK well others it effects them negatively.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Worst medication experience of my life I think. I didn't take it for weight loss-- it was prescribed for severe fatigue. It made me compulsive. I'd be completely exhausted but absolutely unable to sit down and rest. I was up vacuuming my living room in the middle of the night. My skin felt like it was crawling all the time and I couldn't bear to be touched. It did take away my appetite but in a completely unappealing way. I had to force myself to eat just so I was getting some calories, which isn't pleasant.

Be very careful. HCG causes muscle loss and can lead to heart conditions as a result (my father-in-law has a pace maker now as a result). Phentermine is linked to heart palpitations. Not a good follow-up, imo.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Diet pills and diets like HCG don't teach you portion control or moderation. And as you realized, they are not sustainable. Just eat at a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Seems like you just traded one bad drug for another... What happens next? Another drug? When does it end? You've done so well with the weight loss - but to keep it off you're going to need to learn portion control and healthy eating. Something the drugs aren't going to do for you.

Good luck to you!
  • BrendaLee615
    Options
    I was on this for awhile two different times. When I came off it I had alot of emotional problems. I was moody, I felt vulnerable and the worst part is, the weight all came back within a few weeks after I stopped taking the pills. The second time I took it I did a diet and exercise regimen and stuck to it for a ew weeks. I lost nearly 30lbs. After stopping again, I gained back 45 lbs. I dont think its worth taking. To many side effects and then the weight gain.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I was on this for awhile two different times. When I came off it I had alot of emotional problems. I was moody, I felt vulnerable and the worst part is, the weight all came back within a few weeks after I stopped taking the pills. The second time I took it I did a diet and exercise regimen and stuck to it for a ew weeks. I lost nearly 30lbs. After stopping again, I gained back 45 lbs. I dont think its worth taking. To many side effects and then the weight gain.

You explained it perfectly.
    Once you come off the pills, your appetite returns with a vengeance!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yeah frankly, if I were going to do drugs for weight loss I would go with cocaine.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Yeah frankly, if I were going to do drugs for weight loss I would go with cocaine.

same! And it's not much more expensive than phentermine either!

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost 80 lbs. I also never slept, or ate, and got dizzy doing the simplest things. Also, coming off it was the worst experience of my life. And I gained all my weight back, and then some.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I take Phentermine right now, and it's honest to God one of the best things I've ever done, but like another poster, I started taking it to combat fatigue. It helped with that for about a month, then started to have the adverse affect. I suffer with a host of diagnosed mental illnesses, and this has been my saving grace. I can't stay on it *forever* so I'l be switching to Adderall after the Phentermine. Instead of it hyping me up, it calms me down and calms my racing thoughts and brain. I can take a Phentermine, and 30 minutes later go to bed and sleep like a baby.

If you have ADD/ADHD, Bipolar or Borderline Personality Disorder, Depression, or Anxiety, or any other mental illness(es) this is a possiblity when you take Phentermine. I'd already lost 180lbs before starting Phentermine. Yes, it absolutely kills your appetite, but if you don't deal with *why* you're eating what you are, or if you a medical condition/hormonal imbalance causing you to hold onto weight, it will all come right back as others have mentioned.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I was recently on the hcg diet and I lost 90 pounds on it I still need to lose 40 more pounds! my doctor told me to stop the hcg diet because I almost passed out on it and now my doctor put me on phentermine I just started taking it today I would like to lose 40 pounds on it with diet and exercise has anyone tried this pill and lost weight? If so how long did it take you and how much did you excerisice? and what did you eat?

Honestly? I would find a new doctor. You are basically swapping one dangerous method to another. With only 40 lbs to lose left I am shocked your doctor prescribed you a weightloss medication. It does not sound like your doctor has your best interests in mind.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Honestly? I would find a new doctor. You are basically swapping one dangerous method to another. With only 40 lbs to lose left I am shocked your doctor prescribed you a weightloss medication. It does not sound like your doctor has your best interests in mind.

I only had 15lbs to lose and my doctor happily prescribed me the highest dose. I still have a script laying around here somewhere that I will never ever use!!

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have to tell you that I was THIS CLOSE to asking my doctor for that Belviq or whatever it's called.

(Is that the one? You know - the commercial where the guy's plate is sagging under 900 lbs. of food at the barbecue and he's going "Do I have enough food?")

Anyway...the conclusion I came to is this:

If my problem now is my appetite, my problem later will be my appetite, too. I might lose WHILE on the drug (or I might not...well, for the sake of argument, let's leave that at "I might"). Then when I go off...?

I can tell myself, "Oh, it's just to jump-start my weight loss. After I lose a good amount, I'll be motivated to continue losing."

But if the problem is appetite, then being motivated won't figure in later either, whether I'm at the weight I am now, or 20 lbs. lighter, or 40 lbs. lighter. I'll go off that drug, and BAM. Here it will be again. I'm motivated NOW to lose weight. Yet I'm fat. Lack of motivation has never been the problem and never will be the problem. Learning to be satisfied with a normal, healthy amount of food has always been and will always be the problem.

And let's not even discuss how fast all that "motivating" weight loss can poof. Because I think we all know. Or most of us do. So many of us have been there. How many of us have sat there sobbing and shoveling in the food while popping out of those "skinny jeans" we were finally able to get "back" into? Watching it all go away? It is not motivation that is the problem and a loss is not, in itself, necessarily motivating enough to address very real appetite and habit issues.

So anyway...thinking about all this, I decided against the "Am I REALLY full? Have I had enough?" drug. Because whether I address it now, or address it 30 pounds from now when I've been on the drug, have to go off and bam, back comes the appetite AND the pounds, I do have to address it.

I have the whole rest of my life to deal with this. I can't just put off addressing it for a couple of months and figure that will be it, it will all be solved. Or that my motivation will be better. Motivation does not trump appetite. The appetite will be there - I need to deal with THAT.

May as well be now.

p.s. Obviously I don't speak for the whole world. This is just my experience, these are my thoughts, and my conclusions.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need some outside substance to help you lose weight?? What do you think will happen when you stop taking the pills? I guarantee you that you will eventually gain the weight back. You need to lose the weight in a way that changes the way you eat in a sustainable way. Eat whatever you want at a calorie deficit, but not one so low, you wont be able to keep it up. Its simple.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This sounds awful, I don't think it is legally available in the UK.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Yes. I lost 80 lbs. I also never slept, or ate, and got dizzy doing the simplest things. Also, coming off it was the worst experience of my life. And I gained all my weight back, and then some.

I'm sorry you went through that but thank you for sharing your experience. I hope reading about it will be enough to sway someone who was considering it. That sounds horrible.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This sounds awful, I don't think it is legally available in the UK.

Well, basically they're bennies. Amphetamines. Or, technically, a drug with a pharmacology similar to an amphetamine. I'm sure you must have amphetamines via prescription in the UK? (Though I wouldn't know whether you have them legal for prescription with an aim toward weight loss specifically.)