Starting an exercise routine during pregnancy?

Options
I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant and am only just starting to feel human again!! Prior to getting pregnant I was doing ok, I was mostly using the gym for workouts.

I'd have a warm up on the treadmill and then do a bit of a circuit routine, doing weighted squats, lunges, some kettlebell work, box jumps etc. Then around 15 minutes on the rowing machine before cooling down.

But since the nausea and tiredness hit me at around 5 weeks, I have done NOTHING!!! I started to feel a little better around three weeks ago but then caught a cold that developed in to a chest infection.

I'm just about better now and thinking that I need to start doing something. I've not gained any weight yet which my midwife said is fine and she said that she is happy for me to continue working out.

But how do I get back in to it? Should I be aiming to try and do what I was doing before? Or should I be starting out like a total beginner and taking it easy?

What exercise routines have other people followed during pregnancy?

Replies

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    There's a group of active moms over here, community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant

The first trimester is hard, there were several days during weeks 6-12 where I just slept when I wasn't vomiting. I got back into normal exercise by week 13, it was when I was finally able to hold down enough food to keep up my energy.

I've swam laps and walked during most of my pregnancy. I wasn't confident enough in my strength training routine to continue it during pregnancy so I put it on hold until after I have her.

There are a few in the group that have kept up with their strength training routines, they might be able to help with your questions.
  • helenjn
    helenjn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a midwife :) basically I would just ease back into it. Try and maintain what you were doing before, but my guide is if you start feeling a bit funny (e.g dizzy or other symptoms) then you back off. Main thing is to maintain a good fitness level throughout which will help you in labour and also get baby into a good position later on. I advise my women to do this through swimming or walking regularly, however (pregnancy) yoga classes are also good if you like yoga and can afford them! Congratulations and good luck!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Helen that is pretty much the guide my midwife gave, she said avoid exercise like planks and crunches where you work the abdominals directly but any others that work the stomach indirectly are fine. She said as long as I felt fine during exercise I should be ok (and to drink lots of water).

I'll be having a c-section (already had two with my boys) but I know if I can keep physically active it will help my recovery afterwards. I will be able to recover without a newborn to look after though as I am a surrogate for my sister who is unable to have her own children.

Thanks for the link Sheepotato, I will go and join now :)
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I kept up my routine with my 2nd until about 36 weeks. I continued to do P90X and Turbofire (minus the HIIT and plyo routines) I modified depending on how I was feeling, but found I didn't need to modify much. After that, I did the 10 minute prenatal Pilates video series which is available on YouTube. I found that core exercises were invaluable in my recovery. The midwife was commenting on how strong I was during delivery, which made me feel pretty good.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! I'll check out the Pilates video on youtube :)