Vegetables ... do you have to log them in

Options
2»

Replies

• LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    If you eat them in abundance to the point where the jolly green giant would feel offended, it would probably be a good idea to log them. If you're eating a carrot stick here and there, it could probably be as negligible as logging a stick of sugar-free gum...

i logged my sugar-free gum for several weeks when i first got started here, just because i was looking to be TOTALLY aware of my habits. in fact, after the stall moment i've had the last couple of weeks, i'm thinking about logging stuff like: 2 sticks of gum. half a fistful of Kix. five pretzels. i feel like complete awareness can be a valuable lesson, and it may be one that i have to relearn a few times before i totally get the hang of it.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    GUYS!!!!! come on !! i'm incredulous this is even a debate!

i hate to be a jerk about it, but this is the problem with our modern eating habits, we count actual food that came someplace that wasn't a bag or a box or a can as an 'extra', something that would be nice to have..doesn't really count................

i mean, no, you don't have to count them, but why bother counting at all if you're not going to be sort of accurate about the whole thing?
    Let's say I had a big salad with a half cup each of carrots..cucumber..broccoli..spinach....tomato..snap peas.. and i said oh well each of those only have like 30-40 calories a piece so no big deal..but wouldn't that end up being 240 calories? even halving the amount sounds real to me. take pleasure in filling up your log with actual nutrients!

as a caveat..
    also it's good to pay attention to weights and sizes of things. for example although it says a potato is 110 calories (and so will that bag of idahos you just bought) in reality a standard potato that weighs .75 lb is around 280 calories.
    beans are 'raw' and have a LOT of calories..
    nuts are also 'raw'.......
    dried fruits....
    avocados have around 250 calories a go.

vegetables add up. just look at my food diary. i eat a lot of raw vegetables through my days.
    (today's a bad example, but the recipe I made was 80% vegetable and some tofu and still came to 200 calories a serving).

this is a great infographic which will clearly demonstrate how unfree these calories are. they are, however, the best calories you can find. nothing has more nutrients.
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuidanceRegulatoryInformation/InformationforRestaurantsRetailEstablishments/ucm063367.htm
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If it goes into your mouth and isn't water, it should be logged.

-Veggies have calories

-Many people prepare their veggies in ways that add calories to them

-You need to be able to use your log as a tool. You should be able to evaluate your nutrition, your hunger and exercise performance, what you were doing in weeks that you lost well and what you did in weeks that you stayed flat or even gained, etc. If you lie in your logs, you'll never get a good handle on what is working for you and what isn't.

I've seen many posts from people complaining that they have no idea why they aren't losing weight and it usually comes down to the fact that they don't log accurately. :flowerforyou:
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I log them. If anything, it makes my food diary look better, besides all the unhealthy snacks (which I'm logging too of course) :laugh:
  • doliveresti
    doliveresti Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is the law.

I love how you said its the law I can't stop laughing.....
  • doliveresti
    doliveresti Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If it goes into your mouth and isn't water, it should be logged.

-Veggies have calories

-Many people prepare their veggies in ways that add calories to them

-You need to be able to use your log as a tool. You should be able to evaluate your nutrition, your hunger and exercise performance, what you were doing in weeks that you lost well and what you did in weeks that you stayed flat or even gained, etc. If you lie in your logs, you'll never get a good handle on what is working for you and what isn't.

I've seen many posts from people complaining that they have no idea why they aren't losing weight and it usually comes down to the fact that they don't log accurately. :flowerforyou:

No wonder I have not loss anything doing weight watchers since they change to their new plan... I stuff my mouth with the 0 points of bananas, grapes and strawberries... lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, garlic and cucumbers and all other stuff. i am glad to have switch... hopefully this really works for me and again I really appreciate everyone's advise!

>>>>> Cheers for a great day to all of us!<<<<<<
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everything you put in your body has calories, so if you looking for a true and honest calorie count why wouldn't you? A cup of spinach may only have 7 calories, but 7 is more than 0, right? I log everything that enters my body. And fruit, forget about it! A cup of watermelon is 24 calories. This is myfitnesspal.com, not weightwatchers.com. This is based on plainly and simply counting calories, not counting points.
  • rntine
    rntine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with Weight Watchers new PointsPlus program. I was tracking my points and didn't lose ANY weight! It was very frustrating. I just started with MyFitnessPal and I count every single thing I eat or drink. Even coffee!