Anyone else struggling with depression/anxiety?

Options
So I searched for a group for those dealing with mental health issues, and not finding one, created my own. I hope it's okay to post this here. I have about 30 pounds to lose, was going to the gym regularly for some time and then went through some tough things and lost my grit. Trying like hell to get it back.

Also, just looking for support with fitness/weight loss in general, I am having a rough time trying to stay motivated to care for myself.

Send me a friend request/invitation request if you're interested. Thanks in advance.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101212-haven

Replies

• abigailhe
    abigailhe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Monsoonseason! I know all about dealing with depression and anxiety. Prior service in the military with a tour to iraq in 2004 caused some ptsd issues. These things take time. Feel free to add me! I'm trying to lose 40 pounds and need some motivation too. I'm sure we can both start feeling better with some healthy changes!
  • monsoonseason
    monsoonseason Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response, looking forward to getting to know you.
  • laurg2981
    laurg2981 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thank you for creating this group. I am starting my weight loss journey again, for like the 4th time. I have been victim of some abuse in the past and have dealt with depression and anxiety since my childhood. I have been looking for a group to join that would help me stay motivated and who understands that physical health goes hand in hand with mental health. Thank you
  • dangermooch
    dangermooch Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group. I experience depression and anxiety. The chronic pain and fatigue that I get from depression can make it super tough to be active. It would be helpful to connect with other people with similar experiences.
  • VegGram
    Options
    Hello! I have PTSD too, so I get how our particular struggles with mental health make the weight loss and fitness journey tougher. It is hard to get that "grit" back. I am finally learning that if I can't do what I planned on any given day, to at least do something to get closer to my goals.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety too. Lately it is really taken over the way i eat. It makes me not want to leave the house but thankfully i have an exercise bike!!! Lately it's been extra difficult.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you didn't find a separate group because there are so durned many of us here. The appropriate thing for treating depression is counseling with/without appropriate drugs. I've had a clinical depression diagnosis for 25 years or so and had a variety of other, as it turns out, incorrect diagnoses before that. I've probably been fighting this since childhood. Depression cuts a wide swath through my forebears and was usually treated with self-administration of alcohol. Definitely the WRONG way to go. (I speak from experience.) It's hard work to take care of one's own mental health and takes years. I still have good times and bad but the good outnumber the bad and I am better equipped to know how to to what's necessary to keep to the bright side of life. Just know that the fight is definitely worth it and you are never alone in your battle. We're here.
  • monsoonseason
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses and for the group add requests - it is a comfort to know I'm not alone.
  • kirstlamb27
    Options
    Hello, I suffer from anxiety quite badly which then turns to me being depressed and I have to sometimes force myself to being friendly etc, I wish that I could willingly be happy even though my life is good apart from my heart surgery looming and my weight being a problem.
  • monsoonseason
    Options
    Hello, I suffer from anxiety quite badly which then turns to me being depressed and I have to sometimes force myself to being friendly etc, I wish that I could willingly be happy even though my life is good apart from my heart surgery looming and my weight being a problem.

Heart surgery is definitely a good reason to be feeling anxious. Best of luck on both counts, feel free to join us. We're a small group right now, but all the better to get to know each other. Anxiety has been there for most of my life, it is a daily struggle.

The older I get, the more I'm convinced that anxiety/depression are two sides of the same coin.

• kirstlamb27
    Options
    Thank you, people don't understand it unless you go through it hence why I don't talk about anything, the doctors know I'm anxious but not really been on anything that has helped also been to counselling years ago.
    I tend to find I comfort eat which is obviously not helping me lose the weight, it's a vicious circle :(
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Just sent a request to join the group. Was diagnosed with "battle field fatigue" yesterday on my first visit with a counselor (this is not from military service).
  • monsoonseason
    Options
    dougii wrote: »
    Just sent a request to join the group. Was diagnosed with "battle field fatigue" yesterday on my first visit with a counselor (this is not from military service).

Thanks for joining us, looking forward to getting to know you better.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My anxiety doesn't seem very strong, but I think it's one root problem with my over eating. Over eating quells the thoughts that won't stop... it helps me sleep.

I'm seeing a doctor today and I'll be addressing anxiety and hopefully getting a natural medication to help. I'm looking into meditation to help with it too.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Heart surgery is definitely a good reason to be feeling anxious. Best of luck on both counts, feel free to join us. We're a small group right now, but all the better to get to know each other. Anxiety has been there for most of my life, it is a daily struggle.

The older I get, the more I'm convinced that anxiety/depression are two sides of the same coin.

My doctor always brings up the fact that she doesn't know if my anxiety fuels my depression or if my depression fuels my anxiety. She isn't the only doctor to say something along those lines.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg....
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've just seen this post and have requested to join the group. I've suffered from anxiety / depression since my brother passed away 10 years ago & feel like I've never really had a circle of friends who I could talk to openly who would understand what I'm going through and not be judgemental. Hopefully being part of this new group will help me in addressing some things, also hope that I can help others too.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just sent a request to join... I've been pushing so many people away because I'm an emtional wreck. I don't want to be seen that way. Easier to remove myself, but not the best choice. Just feel alone, unworthy and sad. Hoping to find a place to speak freely and not be judged... Plus I can type without crying... :blush:

I guess I'm just tired of always having to smile and act like everything is grand... There is a time and place for that, but it can't be always or I crack...
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »

My doctor always brings up the fact that she doesn't know if my anxiety fuels my depression or if my depression fuels my anxiety. She isn't the only doctor to say something along those lines.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg....

Same here. I've had a doctor say my depression manifests itself as anxiety, and another said that I have anxiety that looks like depression. So who knows?

I was first diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 14, but my mom says she thinks it started long before that. I'm an emotional eater, which is why I'm on MFP now. I started having panic attacks over the summer and am taking steps to change my situation.

I'm on medication and have been in and out of therapy for the past 20 years... if I've gone as far as I can with a particular therapist, I don't see the point in taking up more of their time or taking a space someone else could use. I'm an emotional eater, which is why I'm on MFP now. I started having panic attacks over the summer and am taking steps to change my situation. I found this past year that exercise does help. I did Les Mills Combat and something about it did wonders for me.

The group sounds good, and anyone is free to add me if they wish.

• catlover66666
    Options
    Hi, I struggle with depression and anxiety. I am seeing a counselor and he diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I am also caring for my elderly mom who has severe depression and anxiety, as well as several physical issues. I am also going to school part-time to learn a new career. I am leaving healthcare to go into accounting, which I feel I would be better suited to. Healthcare is very stressful and I can't even go into a hospital without feeling like I am going to lose it.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I've suffered from mood disorders most of my adult life. Everyone is welcome to add me.