do you take fiber supplement?

Options

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I try to get to my fiber goal through my food, but some days I come up short. I do take a supplement (chewables, they aren't that bad either) on those days that I'm really short.
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It takes a little while for your body to adjust. Just make sure you don't cut out on good fats from your diet.

It happens to a lot of people when they reduce their carb intake, they either have diarrhoea or constipation until they are used to their new diet.
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Constipation is very normal when changing your diet drastically. Especially when you add more fruits and vegetables, all the extra fibre makes you constipated (weird huh!). It will pass in about a week or so. Then once it passes, you will be very regular. Just hang in there and don't turn to fibre supplements yet. At most, buy a box of All Bran buds and sprinkle on yogurt along with some high protein granola. Makes a great high fibre snack!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    magnesium citrate.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how much fibre I get out of foods, I still have to supplement. I take magnesium oxide every night which helps tremendously.
    I also take metamucil every now and then, but wouldn't use it on a regular day to day basis.
    Yep. I eat a ton of vegetables and very little "junk". For me a magnesium supplement (I prefer citrate) is the key. Also helps with sleep. Just don't over do it. A little goes a long way. (Think: "milk of magnesia")

ETA: you can get magnesium anywhere... target, walgreens, amazon...

unfortunately here in Australia, most decent supplements are limited to health food stores :(

Ah yes, there's that. That's unfortunate. You probably pay quite a bit for it at a health food store.
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    Options
    The best snack to help me get to my fiber goals are quest bars. They are an amazing source of protein and fiber, plus they taste great.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    The best snack to help me get to my fiber goals are quest bars. They are an amazing source of protein and fiber, plus they taste great.

I too have been eating these but honestly can't really say I like them. I may switch to the powder.
  • elphie754
    Options
    On a totally different note: just curious but does anyone else see a gate with a keyhole over one of the posts in this thread?

Oh and I forgot to mention this in my reply: do you take any probiotics? I have found that about 30 mins after I take them I have a BM. Not sure if coincidence or not but it might be worth a try.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    By probiotics what do you mean, something besides yogurt?
  • sanrpn12
    sanrpn12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I second psyllium husk. I get it in powder form (ground up) at super suppliments for $7. Take a heaping tablespoon mixed with a liquid and drink fast (it starts to solidify quickly). Take it every day and it helps keep thing both regular and very, very clean
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I take 2 Fiber Well Gummies daily. It's easy, it's right on my kitchen counter. When I don't take them bad things happen!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I take CVS fiber gummies. It helps. I tried the probiotics. Softeners. These work best.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    apples
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Do try to bump up your fat intake, as much as your calorie deficit will allow. Avocados, eggs, fatty fish, peanut butter, poultry with skin, et cetera. These contain oils and fats that can benefit you. And too much fibre can also cause constipation. I've generally experienced better relief with soluble fibre as opposed to insoluble fibre for constipation, for some reason. Psyllium husks have worked well for me in the past too. Do remember to drink adequate water (a whole lot more) if you're going to use a fibre supplement. Good luck, OP!

I second the avocado! Not only do they up your fat intake but the fiber content is amazing :smiley:
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but my body gets constipated with any milk products, that includes yogurt and whey protein. Might lay off the milk products and see what happens.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I do three fiber one brownies or cookies a day to complete my fiber. Have used metamucil or psyllium husk for years, recommended by my doctor. the brownies taste better. I consider them a meal at 360 calories for 3 cookies.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of powdered greens to my daily protein shake; it has 6g of fiber per serving. Other than that, I just make sure to eat some sort of legume/bean every day (upwards of 10+g fiber per 100g serving, cooked), eat 2-3 servings of whole grains (oats and corn tortillas are my favorites lately), and fill out the rest with veggies, fruits, and nuts/nut butter. I aim for 30-40g fiber daily, that seems to be my "equilibrium".

If it's constipation that's an issue, be sure to get plenty of water (I'm horrible at this, always improving though) and enough fat (my personal "number" is 50+g daily).
  • elphie754
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    By probiotics what do you mean, something besides yogurt?

Yes. You can typically find them in the vitamin isle at any pharmacy. Most need to be refrigerated. If you trust your pharmacist you can ask them which one they recommend. I use natures bounty since they guarantee they are gluten free.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how much fibre I get out of foods, I still have to supplement. I take magnesium oxide every night which helps tremendously.
    I also take metamucil every now and then, but wouldn't use it on a regular day to day basis.
    Yep. I eat a ton of vegetables and very little "junk". For me a magnesium supplement (I prefer citrate) is the key. Also helps with sleep. Just don't over do it. A little goes a long way. (Think: "milk of magnesia")

ETA: you can get magnesium anywhere... target, walgreens, amazon...

unfortunately here in Australia, most decent supplements are limited to health food stores :(

Ah yes, there's that. That's unfortunate. You probably pay quite a bit for it at a health food store.

yep $30 for a 250g tub of magnesium oxide powder and $22 for 30 capsules! It sucks :(

oh and I second the probiotics. I take them alongside the magnesium before bed. There are certain strains that also help with constipation.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've spoken about this alot with my American friends lol and the naturesway seems to give the best results. ( yellow bottle, not the green one ).

dmbcdoos09ws.jpeg