Lost 60 Pounds in 6 Months - Thought I would share.

Options
So I have been doing 3 things:

I log everything I eat and drink in MFP - It really holds me accountable and makes you think about everything you put in your mouth.

After reading The Belly Fat Cure by Dr. Jorge Cruise - Everything made sense to me. I weighed 285 - heaviest I had ever been in May 2014. I read the book in June after my Doctor suggested it. I have been eating less than 16 grams of sugar a day since then. I also eat 6 servings of carbs or less a day - So it is not like Atkins. The biggest part of this way of eating that helped me lose weight is cutting out the sugars. By drastically cutting your sugar intake, your body greatly reduces the production of insulin. For the last 30 years, I was eating between 75-200 grams of sugar a day...When you eat this much sugar, our body produces great amounts of insulin...insulin tells your body to produce fats to feed your cells. When your cells have all they need - your body "stores the extra fats" to burn later. By reducing insulin production, your body now tells itself...Now we need that stored fat to burn, and it goes and gets it, instead of producing more. I am eating less than 1650 calories a day and am almost never hungry. It does take a couple weeks for your body to adjust to the lower sugar intake - you almost go through withdrawals to an extent, but it is SO worth it.

Third, I bought a Misfit Shine (fitness tracker), and started forcing myself to walk at least 10,000 a day. Most days I hit my goal, and now that I have dropped a big chunk of weight it is much easier.

If you read the book, it goes in to a lot more detail, but this is a general overview that I hope, will motivate more of you to get started.

My name is Mark - My initial goal was to lose 100 lbs and I am at about 225 right now...It has been 20 years since I was under 230...I can see reaching 180, and it has not been difficult. I've tried all the fad diets including South Beach, but this is a life change way of eating that I will need to stick to forever and I am committed to it.

Good luck!

Replies

• cindys921
    cindys921 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
  • Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I will have to read this book.
  • ely0983
    ely0983 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Mark great job!! I'd love some motivation my Misfit SN is Ely0983 if anyone is looking for more firends please add me :)
  • markopat
    Options
    Thanks!! Holidays have been tough - Haven't lost, but haven't gained! :-)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I'm sure you can get to your ultimate goal.
  • tnmomof3boys
    tnmomof3boys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Your mind is set you will do this!
  • DrewInPR
    DrewInPR Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That is a fantasitc story, my friend. It has taken me quite a bit longer to lose about 50 pounds ... but maybe I am still eating WAY too much sugar. I will have to check out that book. Thanks, and best of luck toward your next goal!
  • MonicaBenavidez
    MonicaBenavidez Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I hate to admit I have a sugar problem, but I know I do. I'll check out the book you recommended.
  • sbrookes9
    sbrookes9 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Mark that is a great story you shared. I had to cut out the sugar to make much progress as well. Keep up your plan of action. At 63 I now realize dieting only makes me fatter in the long run so I plan to stick with my new eating lifestyle for life.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Great job! What a good feeling to be a weight you haven't been under in 20 years and to know you can keep going!
  • ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I have reduced my sweets from past amounts but I could do better. Last March I did paleo and cut out sugar almost completely. I lost 16 pounds that month but I didn't want to make that my lifestyle so I am trying to eat in moderation. I am doing MFP now and I found your post because I was searching for info on the forums about the misfit shine. Does it sync with the myfitnesspal app? How well do they work together? I am going to buy a fitness tracker and I am interested in this one. Do you like yours?
  • kwitherspoon19
    kwitherspoon19 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep at it! I definitely need to cut back on my sugar intake. Your explanation gives me even more of a reason!
  • markopat
    Options
    Thanks all - I will begin a more structured workout regimen this week...With 60 lbs off, i can move so much better - the additional combo of cardio and weights should really kick it in to high gear this year! Here is to a life changing 2015!
  • markopat
    Options
    ashsmile78 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting! I have reduced my sweets from past amounts but I could do better. Last March I did paleo and cut out sugar almost completely. I lost 16 pounds that month but I didn't want to make that my lifestyle so I am trying to eat in moderation. I am doing MFP now and I found your post because I was searching for info on the forums about the misfit shine. Does it sync with the myfitnesspal app? How well do they work together? I am going to buy a fitness tracker and I am interested in this one. Do you like yours?

Yes - the Shine Syncs with MFP and actually gives me additional calories each day based on the amount of steps (exercise)....There are 3 specific reasons I chose and love the Shine' 1) It uses a 2032 replaceable battery that lasts about 4-5 months depending on how often you sync/tap it - this is awesome - NO CHARGING. 2) I love that it is also a Watch and it is very cool looking - I travel all over the world, and people ask em about it all the time. And 3) it is 100% Waterproof, so I shower, swim, golf with it - I never take it off. It syncs beautifully with my iPhone, and I use MFP on my iPhone, iPad,and Laptop and they all sync as well - so it doesn't matter which one I do my food entry on.

Also - I bought my Shine refurbished on Ebay for about $70 as I wanted to try it first - Never have had a problem with it.

Good luck!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far. You are doing phenomenally!

I was a big sugarhead too and found that limiting it helped immensely. I don't go as low on refined carbs as you but we all have a sweet spot and have to find what works for each of us. Some people are fine with more carbs and some aren't. I have a strong family history of Type 2 diabetes so it's something on my radar all of the time.

Best to you in 2015!
  • sugar297
    sugar297 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am looking for supportive friends for a low sugar, low carb kind of diet. I got a Nutribullet for Christmas so that is helpful for morning juicing. I am needing to lose 25 lbs. I would love to meet new friends!!!
  • tbcrocks
    tbcrocks Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    great! 60lbs in 6 months is my goal! thanks for sharing
  • psychRN83
    psychRN83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!