Feeling faint, eyes glazed, have to sit down for 8+ minutes

Options
So.. I have had two trainers in the past 12 months.

Everytime I hit a certain level of exertion, I start to feel faint, my eyes feel glazed and I HAVE to sit down. It's not a 3 minute break that is required, I literally have to stay seated for 8+ minutes.

I panicked halfway through the year and had a stress test and echoigram (sp?) done. The cardiologist said that I had the "strongest heart he'd ever seen", I find that ironic but it makes sense since he typically sees people who are 65+. He said i'm healthy and sometimes high level of exertion does that to people. He just told me to just take it slower. So I gave it more time. Now it's been a solid year (off and on) that this has been happening.

I am really in tune with my body and I'm glad to hear that I have no heart problems but something DOESN'T seem right.

I also get the same feeling when someone is in a lot of pain in the hospital or blood is being drawn. It's a gradual feeling. I start feeling like I'm going to be sick or throw up and I can feel it getting stronger and stronger. With pain, I can just leave the situation and it takes less time to get over it.

With working out, if I stop, then the workout stops and that's annoying. If I push myself, I literally feel like i'm going to be sick or faint until I stop. And if I keep pushing myself, when I finally do have to sit down, it takes longer it takes me to recover from it.

I can't stay standing if I push myself too far, I have to get OFF of my feet.

My trainers seem to think that it's somehow normal and maybe i'm not getting enough water. I AM getting enough water and this has only been a problem over a year. I'm finally back in the city where I am to stay so before I get a trainer AGAIN I want to find out.....

WHAT is going on with me?? I can't get a full cardio in without getting this feeling now. I can't push myself or get my heart rate racing without getting this feeling.

Replies

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

How often do you work out? What do your workouts consist of? Age, height, weight, body fat %? What do you do for a living?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion. And third, if necessary. Find out what is going on medically - don't use this forum as a diagnostic tool.

For MFP help, opening your diary will help us see if you really are getting enough water, nutrients, etc.
  • healthykae
    healthykae Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I work out 2x week with a trainer. And I walk most evenings. 30, 5'7 , no idea about body weight percentage. I work at a tech firm in SF, mostly sitting for work.
    Are you eating enough?

How often do you work out? What do your workouts consist of? Age, height, weight, body fat %? What do you do for a living?

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

See the doctor again. Ask for blood workup to check for anemia or any other possibilities (let the doctor decide what to workup). You may need to eat more and you may need to supplement folate and iron.
  • healthykae
    Options
    As far as I know, I'm eating enough. 1300-1420 per day.

Example breakfast foods: Green chia smoothies, Berries, Egg, Yogurt,

Example Lunch Foods: turkey breast, sashimi, gf bread, nuts

Example Dinner Foods: chicken breast, chicken/rice soup, curries

I'm wondering if coffee could be the problem. I drink excessive iced coffee, sometimes 3x per day. I don't have as much energy to workout with out it but Im wondering if it could be hindering me.
    Are you eating enough?

See the doctor again. Ask for blood workup to check for anemia or any other possibilities (let the doctor decide what to workup). You may need to eat more and you may need to supplement folate and iron.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not eating enough- eat some solid food- drinking your calories won't help.

Coffee isn't the problem.
    I suspect it's a combination of lack of food and a mental block.
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue recently and was diagnosed with anemia. You should get some blood work done and check yours.
  • healthykae
    Options
    Were you fainting or feeling faint during workouts?
    mommyofjan wrote: »
    I had a similar issue recently and was diagnosed with anemia. You should get some blood work done and check yours.

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've had that type of feeling only once (I called it my Biggest Loser moment) and it was a few things that brought it on: first, I was borderline hypoglycemic (I sat down otherwise, I was going to puke, but it didn't help. Only when I took a couple of drinks of Gatorade did my feeling faint go away); second, I was coming back from 2.5 weeks vacation away from gym and overseas (bad air quality).

Bottom line is that there could be a ton of reasons why you have this feeling. Easy method for the hypoglycemic test is to bring some Gatorade with you and take a couple of sips to see if it helps. Anemia test can only be done with the blood draw. Food is key to fuel your workout though so, try changing up your meal time or snack time to accommodate first.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I first recommend you go speak to a different doctor to ensure there aren’t any medical issues (heart, blood pressure, hydration, and blood work).

I would carry a log book and document the events. You say you are aware when it is coming on, but have you tried backing down the intensity (say from 9 to 7) and seeing if you can maintain the activity?

Beyond that, I’d tweak when you eat. Try working out fasted vs non-fasted. Change up the types of food you eat pre and post workout.
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I also get the same feeling when someone is in a lot of pain in the hospital or blood is being drawn. It's a gradual feeling. I start feeling like I'm going to be sick or throw up and I can feel it getting stronger and stronger. With pain, I can just leave the situation and it takes less time to get over it.

This paragraph stood out to me. Have you considered that this may be an anxiety issue? It's really common for people having panic attacks to feel faint or think they're having a heart attack. When it happened to me, I felt like that. It's also common for heavy workouts to trigger them due to the feeling of lack of oxygen and pounding heart. Plus, if you've had them in that situation before, your anxiety may increase because you're worrying it may happen again, creating a situation like you describe where it happens whenever you put yourself in the situation (doing cardio).

Of course, definitely see a doctor and get the blood tests to check anemia, etc. that everyone mentioned, but you may want to consider anxiety, as well.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Quote: "I've had that type of feeling only once (I called it my Biggest Loser moment) and it was a few things that brought it on: first, I was borderline hypoglycemic (I sat down otherwise, I was going to puke, but it didn't help. Only when I took a couple of drinks of Gatorade did my feeling faint go away); second, I was coming back from 2.5 weeks vacation away from gym and overseas (bad air quality).

Bottom line is that there could be a ton of reasons why you have this feeling. Easy method for the hypoglycemic test is to bring some Gatorade with you and take a couple of sips to see if it helps. Anemia test can only be done with the blood draw. Food is key to fuel your workout though so, try changing up your meal time or snack time to accommodate first. "

I was thinking hypoglycemic could be a possibility too. I'm hypoglycemic, and have similar symptoms sometimes. Drinking sugary coffees could easily contribute to that and cause you to "crash".
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    1300-1420 calories probably isn't enough for how much you are working out.

Coffee dehydrates. Take that into account.

Get a second opinion. It's likely not a heart problem, as it would've shown up during the stress test and EKG. But you may have an electrolyte imbalance, low iron, or low blood sugar which can be determined through a simple blood test.

Lastly, eat more and stop drinking your calories!!!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you are majorly concerned go to the doctors, explain what is happening and have a full physical and blood drawn. I did that when I was tired all the time and bruising excessively. Turned out I was just playing too hard lol. But it was nice to know.

If everything comes back fine and they don't have suggestions (or do this first if you want to save money) - mess with your nutrition and hydration. I've seen people faint at the gym because they hadn't eaten for most of the day. Sugary drinks can make you crash hard. To fuel my crazy workout schedule I eat lots of whole nutritiously dense foods and drink a lot of water. Remember H20 consumption should be about half your body weight in ounces for non-active people. So if you are working out a lot you should be drinking more than that.

Best of luck!
  • AndyFromGeneva
    AndyFromGeneva Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would try to hydrate more, lessen caffeine, increase sleep and keep pushing back on the doctors.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I used to experience that a lot. I passed out a few times, and finally started monitoring my blood sugar after I had a hypoglycaemic seizure during a spinning class. My fasting sugar is only borderline low, but I now know that when I do intense exercise without adequate carbs, it falls very quickly. After the seizure, I started testing my sugar before working out and any time I feel dizzy and nauseous, shaky, or clammy during my workout. I keep dextrose tablets (also OTC at the drug store) and take them if I get a reading that is below normal.

I don't think this is very common, but it's easy to check with a drugstore blood sugar monitor, so I would say it's worth looking into. Because it is situational, a blood sugar test done at the doctor's office won't catch it.

You might also find out if one of the trainers can take your pulse and blood pressure when it happens.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might want to check out your breathing, electrolyte intakes, diet, and whether you're working too hard for your fitness level.

When I deadlift over 400# if my breathing is off, I'll end up on a knee, or my butt. Not my face yet.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Sounds like you might want to check out your breathing, electrolyte intakes, diet, and whether you're working too hard for your fitness level.

When I deadlift over 400# if my breathing is off, I'll end up on a knee, or my butt. Not my face yet.

I was talking to the squat faires last night after my last set.
    heh

they are nice- but I don't really like talking to them honestly.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

I was talking to the squat faires last night after my last set.
    heh

they are nice- but I don't really like talking to them honestly.

I almost tipped over backwards. How awesome would that have been, shooting a 275# love missile at whomever was behind me.

Squat fairies. lol, I like. Different from having to visit the porcelain gods.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    healthykae wrote: »
    So.. I have had two trainers in the past 12 months.

Everytime I hit a certain level of exertion, I start to feel faint, my eyes feel glazed and I HAVE to sit down. It's not a 3 minute break that is required, I literally have to stay seated for 8+ minutes.

I panicked halfway through the year and had a stress test and echoigram (sp?) done. The cardiologist said that I had the "strongest heart he'd ever seen", I find that ironic but it makes sense since he typically sees people who are 65+. He said i'm healthy and sometimes high level of exertion does that to people. He just told me to just take it slower. So I gave it more time. Now it's been a solid year (off and on) that this has been happening.

I am really in tune with my body and I'm glad to hear that I have no heart problems but something DOESN'T seem right.

With working out, if I stop, then the workout stops and that's annoying. If I push myself, I literally feel like i'm going to be sick or faint until I stop. And if I keep pushing myself, when I finally do have to sit down, it takes longer it takes me to recover from it.

I can't stay standing if I push myself too far, I have to get OFF of my feet.

My trainers seem to think that it's somehow normal and maybe i'm not getting enough water. I AM getting enough water and this has only been a problem over a year. I'm finally back in the city where I am to stay so before I get a trainer AGAIN I want to find out.....

WHAT is going on with me?? I can't get a full cardio in without getting this feeling now. I can't push myself or get my heart rate racing without getting this feeling.

Go see your doctor. Immediately