Fitbit One ?

Options
If I hit the button to record when I exercise, do I still record my exercise in the exercise area as well? I don't want it counted twice for calories burned......Help please. Thank you!!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to always wear the One (not just when you exercise), set your MFP calculations to "Sedentary" and then turn on negative calorie adjustments. You should also have synced your Fitbit account with your MFP account.

I'm not sure which "button" you are talking about because if you wear it all the time and you link it to MFP, it will record exercise (whether it is walking around the store or actually going for a run around the neighborhood). The button on the One itself is used to scroll through your stats and to record sleep (by holding until it vibrates to start sleeping and holding until it vibrates to stop sleeping).

I've found that, when I enter step-based exercise (walking, hiking, running), MFP adjusts the Fitbit calorie adjustment for this (so they don't get double-counted).
  • iowacountry
    iowacountry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I thought in the material I read that you could activate it by pushing the button when you work out for tracking higher intensity workouts but you said it's for sleep......I better reread what it does when I do work out, I must have misunderstood something. Thanks again and I do where it always just not when I sleep. :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    You will press and hold the button to "start" sleeping and then press and hold the button when you awake. It will vibrate when it starts and stops, and that helps you to track how many hours/minutes of sleep you got. There is also a function that, when you wear it, it supposedly tells you how restful your sleep was (based on how much you moved around), but I find that feature of the One to be relatively inaccurate.

If there is something the button does on the One to start or stop exercise, that is news to me... so please share if that is the case.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to always wear the One (not just when you exercise), set your MFP calculations to "Sedentary" and then turn on negative calorie adjustments. You should also have synced your Fitbit account with your MFP account.

I'm not sure which "button" you are talking about because if you wear it all the time and you link it to MFP, it will record exercise (whether it is walking around the store or actually going for a run around the neighborhood). The button on the One itself is used to scroll through your stats and to record sleep (by holding until it vibrates to start sleeping and holding until it vibrates to stop sleeping).

I've found that, when I enter step-based exercise (walking, hiking, running), MFP adjusts the Fitbit calorie adjustment for this (so they don't get double-counted).

Yes this

Let the fitbit take step based activity and log non step based workouts in MFP only, eating back half to 3/4 calories
  • troublemaker47
    Options
    If you want to track your specific exercise activity you hold the button down when you are ready to begin and again when you want to stop. Do not add it in as it would be adding it twice. Also if you click on the log page, and activity in the center of the page it will tell you the numbers for the exercise period you just did.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use that activity tracker feature on my one all the time so I can best tell what steps, distance, and calories burned are related to when I go jogging rather than trying to do the math on my own. Iowa - when you do that go into the fitbit log section under activities and you will see the start entry of when you pressed the button to get it started (vibrate). Like troublemaker47 said do not forget to press it again until it vibrates to get it to stop that activity. I am new to MFP so I don't yet know what it all means to the MFP data collection but I wouldn't add it manually again to either MFP or Fitbit log.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If I hit the button to record when I exercise, do I still record my exercise in the exercise area as well? I don't want it counted twice for calories burned......Help please. Thank you!!

How to log exercise in Fitbit: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-log-or-record-exercise-automatically/

Do not log exercise in MFP—it will override your Fitbit data during that time. Under "exercise" you'll see a Fitbit adjustment. If you eat back those calories, you'll be eating TDEE minus your deficit.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    It sounds like the timer function is used for both activity and sleep, then: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-track-my-sleep
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the timer function is used for both activity and sleep, then: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-track-my-sleep

Yes.

You don't need to use the stopwatch function (for Flex it's tapping rather than a button)—as long as you know the start & end times you can track exercise in the app.