Don't Go As Often

Options
So, I'm going to throw my digestive tract into the spotlight. I'm trying to word this in the most adoring way; however, I don’t' think speaking of my plumbing can be too adoring. I have noticed for over a week on this journey and several other attempts at losing weight my number of "movements" have decrease significantly. Before spending $25 co-pay at the doctor to find out maybe why this happens or what I can do, I was hoping others might have seen a decreasing in "movements" while on their weight loss journey. I really want to stay away from the "cleansers" and that side of an unhealthy weight loss. Please understand I'm not looking to take something to lose pounds but to literally make sure my "movements" are back to natural and healthy frequency and amount.

Any ideas, suggestions, and other folks' stories would make me feel a little at ease. I'm going to try to figure out how to make my food diary public for further insight. If it's not public when you read it, please check back. I am appreciative of everyone's input and suggestions.

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Go to diary settings and opt to track your fiber. You may not be getting enough. Going from a high fat diet to a much healthier one can halt your movements. Increasing your fiber and water consumption will help.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Activia, plums
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yep, your diary is public, I'd suggest keep drinking all that water and getting a bit more fruit and veg in (prunes?!) but I don't think it's uncommon.

And as Shweedog suggested, track your fibre.
  • journeytoahealthy51
    journeytoahealthy51 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do you feel uncomfortable? If your are not feeling bloated or any abdominal pain, then probably you just don't have as much waste to evacuate! Our body only expels those things that it cannot digest or we don't need. If you have been eating healthier, your body is utilizing that food more efficiently, therefore less waste to expel. If you do feel like you need to go, you need to try to increase your water consumption. Also, try some dried plums or prune juice. I have a coworker that swears by a few sprinkles of flax seed daily. So, hope this helps! PS--I am an RN, and unfortunately have lots of experience with this!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a decrease in my too. I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day, and I thought the fiber in that would help me go, but maybe it has the opposite effect on me? I know I don't drink enough water and veggies lack some days, so I'm sure it's based all on my diet and no other digestive issues.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    whole foods help with my digestion. Try whole food smoothies with spinach and some fruit...you can also eat oatmeal. That usually helps with my digestion.
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This is common...and it is a simple case of mathmatics...less in=less out...in other words less waste(empty calories)=less waste=less waist ! As long as your "movements" are normal consistency and bloodless there is no reason to see your doctor.
  • tfox123
    tfox123 Posts: 2
    Options
    I had the same experience, while I was actively losing weight. Less food in means less food out. Make sure you are getting your full water intake and like everyone else has said add some fiber. Believe it or not a couple of prunes a day is all it took for me.
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't constipated, your BMs (bowel movements) should be "healthier:" as you get healthier. You should have a BM every other day. They will probably be better formed than they were before.

Dried prunes or raisins or a small glass of prune juice everyday will help.

I am an RN as well... and agree that as long as you aren't uncomfortable and your abdomen doesn't feel hard, no need for MD!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I had the oppostie problem for the first three weeks of my lifestyle change. I had horrible gas staring around 10 a.m. that would last all day, and I always had an extra BM in the afternoon (I am a morning person). My body adjusted and I am back to normal now.
  • hoover17700
    hoover17700 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :0) Interesting topic but one I do actually do have some input on. I have had this problem my whole life it seems like. Have always drank a ton of water and fruits and veggies but nothing every seemed to make my system normal. In October of 2009 I saw a Nutritionist and was having the "lack of going" problem even worse and of course you have to be honest with your Nutritionist!! He told me the one thing that would change my life forever. He told me to take 600-700 mg of Magnesium (only Magnesium not with calcuim or other ingredient added) a day. From that next day on, I started taking 3 - 250 mg Magnesium pills a day and in the last year and a half there has only been one day that, so to speak, I have "gone" ha ha. I never miss taking my Magnesium pills they have saved me. Hope this helps you, let me know if it does.

:0)
    Tracy
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Fiber supplements are great! they even have them in a chewy form at walmart!
    They regulated my digestive system. I took two every morning!
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have always had a problem going regularly. I have changed my diary to track fiber. Someone suggested fiber gummies to me. Usually with proper diet and excercise I go but not this time around. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies and I drink a ton of water. TMI I feel like I have to go a lot and I push and push and nothing happens. Im lucky if I go once a week. I dont want to go to the doctor or take cleansers either but I think I might have too. I took colon cleanse a few years ago and it really cleaned me out. GL
  • skparish
    skparish Posts: 1
    Options
    Fruit helps!
  • emoslayer84
    emoslayer84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to try to incorporate more fruits, track fiber (take suppliment if needed), and maybe add some prunes (dried, fresh, or juice) to my diet. To answer a couple of questions: I do not feel uncomfortable or have a "constipated" feeling about me.

I appreciate the ideas!
  • emchen
    emchen Posts: 48
    Options
    I am eating less than 500 calories a day now and I only go to the bathroom once every 2-3 days now. I don' t feel constipated or uncomfortable. I think it's really just the fact that with less intake, there's less output...
  • emoslayer84
    Options
    I just added to my food diary to track fiber. How does this site measure fiber. I obviously need to take a suppliment but not sure how much I need to take and add to my diary daily (how do I add that to my diary?).
  • michalita
    michalita Posts: 27
    Options
    MFP's fiber goals are way too low; women should shoot for 21-25 grams a day, and men should be getting at least 30-38 grams of fiber a day. I often make a snack of Fiber One bran cereal on yogurt or a Fiber One granola bar just to keep my numbers up. And be sure to keep your water intake high!
  • emoslayer84
    Options
    For water: I usually average above 8 cups of water/day. I probably don't log all the water I consume, but it's my go to drink everyday.