For those of you in northern states

Options
13»

Replies

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    My local grocer sells tons of stuff that is out of season. They obviously get it from Florida or California and most of the time the prices are reasonable and it's not horrible looking so it's not that far fetched an idea to have out of season produce. But then again I'm spoiled this year due to an abundant garden and a freezer full of the produce we reaped.

Lucky you. OP obviously doesn't live where you live and was complaining about quality and cost. So, yes, tell us about how where you live is so fabulous.

I can wax poetic of the food quality and prices even for out of season stuff from my little neighborhood stores in San Francisco, but I won't because it's not relevant.

I swear, it's like you're just tempting people to get warnings.

The OP obviously needs to look at other food stores for her produce. I'm sure there are stores that provide fresh produce for a reasonable price.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Define reasonable. My mom lives in podunk, 'Murica and you can't get anything decent if it's out of season, and the price is astro.

Ever pay $4 a pound for an orange that goes bad the next day?
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    Yes, many times and I've taken them back to the store and either got my money back or exchanged it for better looking produce.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yes, many times and I've taken them back to the store and either got my money back or exchanged it for better looking produce.

but not for a steak that was made wrong... lol.

This amuses me, because I would never take the produce back. hahaha.
  • goddessofawesome
    edited December 2014
    Options

but not for a steak that was made wrong... lol.

This amuses me, because I would never take the produce back. hahaha.

Obviously you misread my posts on the steak. I said that I personally rarely, if ever, will return food. In many instances I don't even have to show the server because they know how I get my steak cooked and they can see whether or not it has been done right as I cut into it and if not then they take it back. I have even had the chef come out and apologize for improperly cooking my food. If the steak is more on the rare side it's not as big a deal. My husband had steak Christmas eve and while mine was prepared the way I asked his was a bit more done than he had wanted. Did he send it back? No because it was still edible. Did he let the server and the chef know it was a bit over cooked? Yes.

I'm really not quite sure what the big deal is. For some reason -- based on your posts -- you feel the need to be very combative and snarky towards people.

• dbmata
    Options
    I'm really not quite sure what the big deal is. For some reason -- based on your posts -- you feel the need to be very combative and snarky towards people.
    QQ

I'm old, I have no time left to sugar coat things. I don't like things sugar coated, and generally feel sugar coating is disrespectful to others. So out of respect to your humanity, I do not patronize you with sugar coated commentary and validation.

You are quite welcome.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nebraska is in the north?
  • dbmata
    Options
    apparently. I see it more as central midwest/cornbelt. but whatevs. They have super cheap gas.
  • gardenpixiepdx
    gardenpixiepdx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I live in Nebraska and I'm having a heck of a time finding decent fresh produce. And what little I find is very expensive. For those of you also living in an area where your fresh stuff is coming from somewhere else, do you have any tips? Any stores where you find better quality or selection? Any favorite frozen brands/varieties?

Do you have a Costco close by? They often have excellent produce sections, and organic varieties too boot!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    apparently. I see it more as central midwest/cornbelt. but whatevs. They have super cheap gas.

and make corn syrup.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I live in Washington state, so it helps that lots of farms are in the area, but I too have struggled finding fresh stuff. I've been sticking with squash, romaine lettuce, and spinach from Costco. The rest I eat frozen. Normandy blend veggies, blueberries (all frozen from Costco as well).
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm in Minnesota and in my town we have the "fruit club" basically it's a club that anyone who is interested in the "fruit of the month can purchase a box. The club ships in a truck from California/Florida depending on the fruit. It's not terribly priced, the only problem is the quantity is sometimes to much. I often times split a box with a friend to avoid the fruit from spoiling. Our "fruit club" is on facebook. We also have something called the "Bountiful baskets" that is a mixture of fresh fruits and veggies
  • dbmata
    Options
    I live in Washington state, so it helps that lots of farms are in the area, but I too have struggled finding fresh stuff. I've been sticking with squash, romaine lettuce, and spinach from Costco. The rest I eat frozen. Normandy blend veggies, blueberries (all frozen from Costco as well).
    You a wetsider? You guys get all the good stuff. We have lentils, wheat, and squash. Meh.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You a wetsider? You guys get all the good stuff. We have lentils, wheat, and squash. Meh.

Yep! I'm still pretty northern though ;)

• dbmata
    Options
    I'll lament your ability to get fresh stuff including seafood while I cry into our local moonshine. ;)
  • vixen0babs
    vixen0babs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm in MN. I buy frozen fruit for smoothies or baking. I have thawed them out for cereal/oatmeal, but they seem to be much softer and had a little bit of the "freezer" taste. I like frozen vegetables for steaming in the microwave. I feel that the quality of the vegetables is better than fresh when buying out of season. I think the prices are reasonable, but I'm buying for just me and not a family. I buy my frozen produce at Cub or Target. Good luck!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota. No problem here getting great quality fresh produce. Onions, sweet potatoes, winter squash bell peppers, celery, carrots, all of which I love oven roasted or grilled. No problem getting fresh fruit either. In fact, just last week they had fresh raspberries on sale for $2.00 I always get my banana's at Kwik Trip. They have them for .29 cents/lb all year. Whole fresh pineapple is on sale this week. Apples, oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, kiwi, pomegranates, really whatever you want.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have found ALDI to be the best - but there selection is limited. They always have broccoli and zucchini, last week they even had brussel sprouts and aspargus.