Beginners burpees

Options
I have just finished readying an article interview with Jen Widerstrom (http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20882478_last,00.html) and she mentioned burpees.

So I tried one. Epic failure!!

Does anyone have any advise for beginners burpees when you are obese and lack any appreciable upper body strength?

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Burpees are not easy. I suggest doing them one at a time and take your time. Maybe from the elbows and kneeds vs the hands and toes?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Bend down, hands on ground, and step one foot back and then the other. Step one foot back in and then the other. Stand up. Try to jump in the air after. Repeat.

Next step would be to jump your feet back in one motion and jump them back in.

Once those are mastered you can start adding the pushups.

Start with the hardest one you can complete and then when you get tired, down grade it to an easier version and bust out a few more.

Have fun burpeeing :)
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    biggest loser workouts have you bend over, and walk your hands out to a plank, then walk them back in, and stand back up. and take it slow! it's about practice, not perfection. ...or something like that. ;)

good luck!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    jillian michaels has one where you put your hands down and just put one foot back, then stand up, but that makes my knees make weird noises.
  • mwcontois
    mwcontois Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    do a google search and you will see some you tube videos...make sure you look at the ones that talk about doing them safely so you avoid an injury.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    do it slowly and increase speed as you get better
  • kwirky112
    kwirky112 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone.

I just found this also, which sounds like some of the details above.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBX0GPTJ8lE
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Do what you can. Any movement is better than sitting on the sofa.
  • kwirky112
    Options
    Do what you can. Any movement is better than sitting on the sofa.

SO TRUE!!!!
  • kwirky112
    Options
    Hey I just did 5 of them. OMG!!!!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I started with "benchees" ... same basic movement, but use a weight bench for your hands instead of going all the way to the ground.

couple weeks of those, and I no longer face-planted trying to do a real burpee.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. They're hard at first, then you just do them and you get better.

Ultimate Challenge
  • kwirky112
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I started with "benchees" ... same basic movement, but use a weight bench for your hands instead of going all the way to the ground.

couple weeks of those, and I no longer face-planted trying to do a real burpee.

I like that. I think that I will be able to do those kinds at home in our outdoor area where we have benches all around.

• JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. They're hard at first, then you just do them and you get better.

Yeah do the modify ones where you step back, then go to the jumps. I had a heck of a time doing them at first, now I can do them pretty quickly for 30 seconds straight. I feel like death afterwards, but hey, I can do them!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »
    biggest loser workouts have you bend over, and walk your hands out to a plank, then walk them back in, and stand back up. and take it slow! it's about practice, not perfection. ...or something like that. ;)

good luck!

This makes too much sense! :)