Weigh Ins

Options
How often does everyone weigh in? I am only in the beginning and find myself unable to resist the urge to weigh in almost everyday. It's setting me up for failure cause if It goes up I get depressed about it..

Replies

• e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i am the same way! i can't stop myself from daily weighing, but i don't stress over the read-out until friday, which is my actual weigh-in day...i'm at a bit of a plateau, so i'm pretty stressed over it...
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    I do it daily, but it helps me stay on track. Like last week on Thurs I was 176.8, by sat i was 178.2, and yesterday 177.4 and today 176.6 so I logged the 176.6 for a .2 lb loss.

body weight naturally fluctuates depending on the time of the month for us girls and water weight/retention.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Everyone weighs in differently. I was weighing in every day, but now I am trying not to focus so much on that number as much as on how good I feel when I have met my goals for the day. I am looking at maybe only Mondays and Fridays. I used to have a scale set next to the refrigerator as a reminder that grazing isn't worth it.
  • lainey137
    lainey137 Posts: 39
    Options
    I officially weigh in on a Friday, and it's my Friday weight that gets logged in here. However, I do weigh in every day to check my progress and keep me motivated.
  • Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    Options
    I weigh myself every monday, weighing yourself everyday is just so counter productive, there are way too many fluctuations from day to day. Save your sanity wait at least a week
  • SkinnyMissy1
    Options
    Only weigh yourself once a week!!! My weigh in day is Saturdays.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday. I tried doing it only once a week & it didn't keep me in check & I gained.
  • babs81
    babs81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used 2 get weighed every day but I now do it every Monday I don't put as much pressure on my self :-)
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I check the scale every day, but I only log when I go down unless I'm consistently up for 3+days in a row.
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I weigh everyday , but I only record on Friday's. (I do my measurements once a month, too).
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I only record my weight once a week (Sunday mornings), but I find I get out the scale and check once a day or two days understanding there will be some large fluctuations due to time of day.
  • mossmommy
    mossmommy Posts: 63
    Options
    I weigh in once a day, every morning. It kept me in check. And I found that if I weighed myself every morning I didn't have the ability to justify cheating a little bit like I did if I went a week between weigh ins. My suggestion would be to find what works best for you. If you're going to stress over the number every morning, then no, do once a week. But if once a week doesn't keep you on track then move to daily or three times a week. Just remember the number on the scale is nothing but a guide. It doesn't necessarily reflect your hard work (muscle weighing more than fat, etc.).

Good Luck!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, always at the same time, always after peeing and before eating, always clothed the same. I do a Wednesday morning body pump class, I don't eat before and do my weigh in after. I don't like to weigh more than that because there are so many variables from one day to the next, this helps to keep the unknowns down (food and water intake, water weight, what not). I don't think it's good to weigh in more often then once a week, hell biggest loser doesn't even check in more often then that.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am the same. At the advice of someone on here, I now keep my scales in the cupboard in the bathroom instead of just on the floor, and try to weigh myself just once a week.

Normally still do it twice though! :P
  • grace1611
    grace1611 Posts: 55
    Options
    HI , I don,t weigh in at all. I did that before , never again, its too stressful. I only lose weight every three weeks. I keep watching calories and healthy eating.:glasses: :glasses:
  • ncwmark
    ncwmark Posts: 40
    Options
    I started a little over 6 weeks ago after a visit to the doctor and told myself it was going to be different this time, that I wasn't going to stress about that battle with the scale. I didn't weigh myself again for six weeks until my follow up appointment. It was a nice change to just pay attention to my body and "know" that I felt better and that if the numbers worked that the weight would come off. I have another appointment in 8 weeks, but I think I'll start weighing myself once a week to track it a little better.
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Prevention magazine had an article a couple months ago saying those who weigh in everyday and don't obsess about it tend to have great weight loss and better maintenance than those who weigh in once a week! So, I weigh in everyday! It motivates me and I get to see what I accomplished right away. I also can see if something is causing me to gain and change it before I gain for days at a time!
    Hope this helps!
  • mossmommy
    mossmommy Posts: 63
    Options
    Prevention magazine had an article a couple months ago saying those who weigh in everyday and don't obsess about it tend to have great weight loss and better maintenance than those who weigh in once a week! So, I weigh in everyday! It motivates me and I get to see what I accomplished right away. I also can see if something is causing me to gain and change it before I gain for days at a time!
    Hope this helps!

Thats where I read that!!! Thanks :) And I'm right there with you, I can see the number go down pretty quickly (i'm big on gratification asap) and if it goes up I can fix it pretty quickly (never fun).
  • Loveebbs
    Loveebbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh myself everyday but now I only weigh myself every Saturday morning. Doing it once a week for me helped me not worry about my weight because when I use to do it everyday, I would freak out about my weight going up and down.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!!

I was starting to feel a bit neurotic. I generally weigh in every other day and only record if there is a difference. Last time I was weighing in once a week and when I saw it go up I ended up quitting and gaining more weight. I feel like even if I only lose a pound or even a half a pound its awesome progress. If I see it fluctuate after a bad day it motivates me to hit the gym and not flake out on it..