What was your fitness wake up call?

Options
for those of us that have not been working out since birth, did you have a fitness wake up call?

Mine came 2 years ago while watching my mother slip quickly into advanced Alzheimer's and realizing it could be me in 10-15 years. My only regret is it took me so long to 'wake up' but better late than never.

Replies

• cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I was playing with my two year old daughter and realized that I was worn out from essentially no activity. I was lifting her up and chasing her and was winded fairly quickly. So ever since I have tried to go to the gym as much as possible.
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mine was a picture taken last May. I have been extremely active until an injury to my knee and then I found I just became more lazy. I wanted to be sexy and healthy for my new man, but that picture destroyed me !
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I was online shopping and purposely selected the next largest size. When it came in, it still didn't fit. It was a 3x. I couldn't even muster the courage to return it. Even via mail it seemed embarrassing. I just kept it and ordered a new dress in a 4x.
  • karinlee74
    Options
    I had a brain aneurysm a little over three years ago. I am small boned and weighed what was recommended for someone with my height 5'4 and physical stature. I gained 25 pounds since that time. I am working out like crazy but am not budging on weight. Just turned 40 so I figure its my bodies "weight lol" of wishing me happy birthday. I went to a dietation who encouraged me to use this as well as consider her meal plan.
  • 02suzzie2014
    02suzzie2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I study a science degree and the topic Cardiovascular diseases, ploughing through that has absolutely shocked me... I have a responsibility to my son to make sure I am fit and healthy, live a long life and do all that I could do to stay on Earth as long as possible...... live long and prosper lol......
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    my fitness wake up call is when i was weak/fragile sloppy and fat & lazy i felt like i was disappearing and useless :# turning into a big fat sloppy ball every month+years that passed
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Mine was last New Years Eve when I landed in the hospital with severe anemia and in the testing they did they also discovered I am T2 diabetic. I hated what I had become, but finding out that there was a physical reason for my weakness (the anemia) and that I was not immune to the consequences of carrying around too much weight (the diabetes) really got me going.
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My wake up call was when I would go clothes shopping and nothing would fit. I'd go home in tears. I had another wake up call when I realized I was the biggest person in all of my classes in high school. It seems like everyone was at ideal weight. Lol, not me.
  • Travko
    Travko Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't think I had a single moment of clarity in this regard, but I just got tired to being tired all the time.
  • ChristineCain
    ChristineCain Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I changed careers October 2013 and recently met with some of my former coworkers. When I left my job I was in some of the best shape of my adult like (hell probably my life ever) and seeing them recently, I had packed on ~30lbs of "stress" weight. I feel it in my clothes, my movement, everything. Most recently seeing pictures from the holidays was the icing on the cake. MFP helped me gain control, I'm looking to succeed again. Feel free to add me, I'm always game for support :smiley:
  • PaceMaka2dot0
    PaceMaka2dot0 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I grow out of my expensed LV clothes