Protein shakes

Options
anulle2009
anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
I know there is a posting area for recipes, but does anyone know of any good protein shakes i can make minus a lot of milk. I hate milk!

Replies

• CoachDevinHunter
    Options
    My family has went from whole milk down to 2% this year.

We are also buying more Almond milk. My youngest 6 and 2 love it!

Check it out... we add them to our daily shake and the kids love it in their cereal. We usually purchase the vanilla flavor, but due to the high demand of Almond milk, they were out and we had to purchase the original. It has more of an almond taste. We like it as we all eat almonds daily for the protein.

Good stuff!

Try it an let me know what you think.

OH... coconut milk is also good and good for you.
  • beckshelby
    beckshelby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I dont use any milk!
    I use a cup of frozen fruit from a bag of frozen mixed fruit (the mango, pineapples, strawberries and oranges mix is my fave)
    About 6oz of orange juice
    and then the scoop of my vanilla protein
    and mix it in a blinder, its great!
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    I drink Shakeology (I'm not a beachbody coach & I'm not trying to sell you on it) LOL... but I do love Shakeology! It's more than just a protein shake, which is what hooked me on them. Protein & packed with vitamins & minerals... it can replace your protein powder AND your daily vitamin!

Also, you can mix it with water, milk, juice, almond milk, etc... whatever you choose! You can find it on the web if you don't know anyone who is a beachbody coach (I know there are quite a few in here though... I'm sure someone can hook you up, if you're interested).

:flowerforyou: Angie
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My favorite

8 oz. V8 fusion(any flavor)
    4-6 oz. Yoplait 0 fat 2x protein greek yogurt(I put 6oz b/c the containers are that much and I don't want to save it, only 99 cents/piece
    fruit of your choice

I sometimes leave out the fruit....and just blend the yogurt and V8....so good....233 calories/18g protein(well that's without the fruit, so you calculate the rest..)...

I have problems with finding protein drink I can stomach.....there aren't that many that taste really great......
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I also concur on the almond milk! I do not drink milk at all (and never have) and the almond milk is pretty good with a chocolate shake. I really like the premium protein brand that you can get in costco (they also started selling 3 packs of almond mild for $7 here recently), I think it is the best flavor and nutrients if you don't feel like spending a fortune. I also throw a TBSP of PB2 peanut butter (the powdered stuff) in there once in a while and it tastes like a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup!

The premium protein premade shakes are pretty good too...1g of sugar, 30g of protein, and all for 160 calories. I like to keep a couple of those in the work fridge in case I forget the powder and almond milk ;o)
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC AMP chocolate protien powder, half of a frozen banana and water. Blend it in my blender and it is sooo good! Like a chocolate banana milkshake!!!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    a good whey protein powder will taste fine with water.

sometimes I'll add some peanut butter, oats, or a banana to add cals tho.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology (I'm not a beachbody coach & I'm not trying to sell you on it) LOL... but I do love Shakeology! It's more than just a protein shake, which is what hooked me on them. Protein & packed with vitamins & minerals... it can replace your protein powder AND your daily vitamin!

Also, you can mix it with water, milk, juice, almond milk, etc... whatever you choose! You can find it on the web if you don't know anyone who is a beachbody coach (I know there are quite a few in here though... I'm sure someone can hook you up, if you're interested).

:flowerforyou: Angie

I have tried samples of Shakeology....and while I find it okay tasting....it's WAY WAY expensive....I would rather spend less and get a protein shake that tastes the same or somewhat better.....
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi Anulle, I use a protein powder that unfortunately is not available in England but only in Eire. It is called ProFemme by EducoHealth. It is a high protein low fat, low glycemic and high calcium drink derived from milk protein.
    I often use it just by adding water. A lkg tub cost around £35 and well worth every penny!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I use yogurt, water or low calorie gatorade. I recently read that gatorade mixed with whey protein is the best option after a hard workout. Your body is still revved up and burns right through the carbs in the gatorade giving your body the electrolites and protein it needs. I have noticed a huge improvement in my recovery and less soreness after a heavy lifting session since adding the gatorade. I only use 1 cup for 50 cals and 5 gr of carbs. Not to mention it is surprisingly good!

edited to add: if I'm making mine a meal replacement then that's when I use the yogurt and I add raw spinach and frozen strawberries. I know the spinach doesn't sound or look good but you can't taste it at all and I get a serving of veggies in!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I use Kaizen Vanilla( I buy at Netrition.com), but any Vanilla Whey Protein Isolate will do. I always mix My Protein Powder with a sugar free liquid like, Hawaiian Punch - red, orange, grape or diet soda. I also add fruit to them, like punch and frozen berries or blueberries with grape, or frozen fruit with just water and powder. I make them Smoothies and they ARE Meals, not replacements (usually 180-200 Calories.)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My family has went from whole milk down to 2% this year.

We are also buying more Almond milk. My youngest 6 and 2 love it!

Check it out... we add them to our daily shake and the kids love it in their cereal. We usually purchase the vanilla flavor, but due to the high demand of Almond milk, they were out and we had to purchase the original. It has more of an almond taste. We like it as we all eat almonds daily for the protein.

Good stuff!

Try it an let me know what you think.

OH... coconut milk is also good and good for you.
    I have heard of the Almond and coconut. I do need milk (i use it only really for cooking) both my me and my hubby dont drink a lot of milk.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Go to a health food store and get Guar gum. It is an emmusifier and it will thicken your shake like milk or yogart will without the added cals. Just use water in place of milk in the shake. you only need to use 1/4 of a tsp and is only a couple calories. One bag will last a LONG time.

Any one making shakes should consider guar gum. It really fluffs it up nicely whether you are using milk or not.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    coconut milk!
  • jessileigh83
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try this!