would you do it? Gamin ForeRunner 305

Options
I have a chance to buy a used Garmin ForeRunner 305, with the chest strap and it's accesories at 120$ shipping included.
I'm looking to start running, and wanted something that charts my progress, calculates my pulse and calories. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    For running outside, there is nothing better than a Garmin.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I agree if your running outside I would go with a Garmin. I got a Polar FT4 because I really just wanted it to monitor my HR and calories burned but I think if you want to start training for running I would go with a Garmin.
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I use my forerunner 305 all the time. It's great. I'm running a 5K tonight and will be using it then.
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Yes I have a really old Garmin 101 or something they don't even make anymore and I love it but would totally buy a 305 if I could find one for a good price! Get it
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    love my garmin!

for me, its an absolute must have.

when i first started running i was wondering why i couldnt make it past the 1mile mark.
    then i borrowed a friend's garmin, i was a beginning runner running an 8mm. no wonder i'd peter out!

bought myself a garmin and now i dont leave home without it.

Good Luck! :drinker:
  • italiabella
    italiabella Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love mine but only buy it if you plan on running outside.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone?
    If you are just starting, you could just use RunKeeper (a free app for iPhone and Androids) for now and if you REALLY get into it, get a Garmin.

Runkeeper does everything you want on your phone and it is free. You use the phone's GPS, you can use their web site to create routes, each run is stored as an activity, and you get a calorie estimate, distance, pace, mph etc. Plus you can play music on it at the same time, be available (if necessary) - all in one device.

It's nice on the phone because you have a big display and it shows you you map and where you are - really nice when running in a new area.

Did I mention it's a FREE app?
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Options
    I love my 305.

However, they have recently been on sale for under $100 (new). I would definitely recommend one, but I wouldn't pay that much for a used one. If you check ebay, you might be able to get a new one for less than that.

Brand new on Amazon is 128, as well as Ebay.

Target and Best Buy were both recently clearing some out. My friend picked one up for under $60.
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a Gamin ForeRunner 305 & it has been great! Lately However, I been using my smart phone mainly because I like to take my phone with me when I run, bike, walk etc. I have a DROID X & have been Using CardioTrainer & it's pretty Awesome Too! It uses the Phone GPS & is pretty accurate, A bit easier to use also & can use a Polar Chest strap for HRM for an extra $70 bucks however lol. Run Keeper is Good Too but find myself always using CardioTrainer For my Running, Biking, Weight Lifting, etc it's all on there! Also it's capable of Music intergration so you can listen to your favorite tunes/playlists while working out! Check them all out, good luck!