Calorie Make-Up

Options
So, I've been logging my calorie intake and exercise for 4 days. My question for the pros: does the amount of fat/sodium/protein/carbs really matter if you are exercising regularly? I get alerts telling me I'm over my goals on certain things, especially sodium. Opinions and experience, please.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calories matter for weight loss.

Macros (fat/protein/carbs) make a difference to health, hunger levels, gym performance, body composition, and things like that. But, it's important to realize that these can be set in many different ways and MFP's default numbers are just one suggestion. You can lose weight and reach your other goals in a lot of different ways as long as your calories are still in the right range.

Sodium can be a problem for water retention, but for the most part it's not necessary to watch it too closely (given no medical reasons to keep it lower, of course). The easiest way to lower it is usually to cut processed foods out of your diet, but again it's not really necessary for weight loss.

Overall, you can do your research and set your numbers how you feel best. But you can start by watching your calories and work your way into the rest of the stuff and you go.
  • MrsBennefield
    MrsBennefield Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks!