1st marathon - suggestions??

Options
rvice2
rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
I just finished the flying pig 1/2 marathon in Cincinnati, OH. I finished in 2:12:58. I have decided to start training for a full. However, in order for me to actually finsish 26.2 miles it will need to be fairly flat and I will need LOTS of crowd cheerers! Any that you have done that were just exceptional??

Replies

• spiritmachine
    Options
    I have only done a half as well. It was in NYC and I can tell you there is nothing like the NYC crowd. Running through times square will tens of thousands of people cheering is something I will never forget. Many members of my family have done the full NYC marathon as well as many other and say that NYC is the absolute best for crowd support. There are people cheering every step of the way.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My first marathon was the Blue Angels at NAS Pensacola, FL and I loved that it started on base on the air strip and blue angels did a fly by at the biginning of the race to start us out. It went through town and was flat and beautiful. Another is the Marine Corps Marathon but that was cold with some hills so it was not my most favorite. Good luck I like mini triatholons now because they mix up swimming and biking and my knees can't take long distance anymore....
  • advocatus
    advocatus Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello rvice2. Congratz on finishing the Flying Pig 1/2 marathon, and with a great time! Once the rain stopped it was a nice day wasn't it?

I spoke to the representative from the Columbus Marathon at the Flying Pig about their course and she said it was 'exceedingly flat' I haven't run that marathon, so I can't speak about the crowd support.

I think the Columbus would be a great fit for you, because it's in October, so if you can do 13 now, you have time to get your two 20 mile runs in before October. Columbus is only an hour away from Cincinnati, if you're local. And like I said, I've heard that the course is very flat, which is believable based on Columbus looks like.

If you'd like to talk more, send me a friend request here or facebook
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My first marathon was the Marine Corps in DC. Big crowds, scenic (and relatively flat) course, inspirational military-focused atmosphere. It was perfect for me.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Some that would be close to you are Chicago but it is closed for this year, Indianapolis has a couple in the fall that are both good, Columbus Ohio in the fall, MIlwaukee, Detroit. Lots of choices. Go to Runners World or other running/marathon websites and you will have all the information you want. Some like New York are great but it can take a couple of years to get in with the lottery system and I think they have already drawn for this year. Also depends on if you want a big mega production with crowds (CHicago, New York) or smaller.
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Options
    Congratulations!

marathonguide.com is one of the best places to research marathons. They have a comprehensive list and reviews from runners of organization, course and crowd support.
  • rvice2
    Options
    Thanks all! I really want to do the Columbus marathon as I keep hearing GREAT things about it. Not just that it is flat, but that it has great crowd support. I also want to do one in NY. I would love to do one through central park! Will definitely look into these! Thanks again and happy running!
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    The Indianapolis Monumental Marathon is also a nice flat course... first weekend in November! :flowerforyou:
  • gregoryk1121
    gregoryk1121 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Myrtle Beach is really flat! I did the 1/2 this year and laid out by the pool for the afternoon!
  • rvice2
    Options
    I've looked at the Indianapolis Monumental because it actually works with my schedule. I wanted to do Columbus, but I am running the Bourban Chase Relay the weekend before and the day after that I fly to Florida for a Bahamas cruise. In order to do the Columbus I would have to fly from Fl to OH and I think I will be cramming too much stuff into one week. Maybe I'll try the monumental! Thanks!
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I really want to do the Columbus marathon as I keep hearing GREAT things about it. Not just that it is flat, but that it has great crowd support. I also want to do one in NY. I would love to do one through central park! Will definitely look into these! Thanks again and happy running!

NYC is hard to get into (I'm running it this year, though!), but if you want to race in Central Park some of the shorter NYRR races are also a lot of fun. Some of the 10Ks have a marathon-style feel to them, with lots of elite runners, and the 10K course is almost exactly one loop around the park. The NYC Half Marathon is also an awesome course: a loop around the park, down through times square and then the westside highway all the way downtown.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider is whether you have friends and family who want to come out and cheer you on during the race. Some course very spectator friendly and others aren't. Something closer to home may be logistically easier for you.

Good luck!
  • vstinnett
    vstinnett Posts: 3
    Options
    Pretty much anything in Florida and you are guaranteed FLAT!!! My first and only marathon so far was The National Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville and it was indeed flat, just what I wanted, and very inspirational. Disney and Miami are full of crowd support and flat as well. Good luck in your choices and that was a great 1/2 marathon time, WOW!!!