Splenda

Options
twooliver
twooliver Posts: 450 Member
Okay, give me the low down on Splenda...why is it considered bad? I use about 6 packets over a day's time!

Replies

• Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yep I want to know this too!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it. There are some carbs in it though, so that's important to some people.

MFP is FULL of misinformation and hysteria about every artificial sweetener. I'd strongly advise you to do your own research on artificial sweeteners, sticking to sound medical journals, and not be frightened by all the folks who will tell you it's a wonder that you aren't dead on the floor because you use an artificial sweetner. :flowerforyou:
  • spiritmachine
    Options
    The only real bad thing about artificial sweeteners is that they gear your palate towards the overly sweet. I forget the exact number but splenda is close to 600x sweeter than sugar. When you keep using things like splenda, natural foods are going to taste as good to you and you will be craving that extra sweetness.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I know people fall in different camps on this one and get very edgy on the subject, so I will just say that I prefer Stevia, and suggest that you give it a try. :)
  • Orska
    Orska Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Although not common for most people, using Splenda and other artificial sweetners elevated my liver enzymes. I was going in monthly to have it checked and it just kept going up. Finally my doctor asked me to stop using all artificial sweetners for a month and my enzymes became normal. I haven't had any Splenda or artificial sweetners for over three years now. It's funny because if I do have a sip of a diet beverage, I gag because it's way too sweet!
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with atlantique...Splenda is not necissarily bad. There is a lot of negative hype about it because it is a chlorinated compound. Basically splenda is sugar which has three hydroxide groups (-OH, oxygen and hydroden) replaced with chlorine (Cl). A lot of the misinformation regarding splenda includes the famous "splenda is closer to a pesticide than to sugar." This is not true. Yes, some pesticides are chlorinated compounds, as is splenda. However, this is about they only thing they have in common. The slogan "tastes like sugar becuase it's made from sugar" is slightly misleading. Manufacturer's do not actually make splenda from sugar; they instead chemically build the compound. HOWEVER, it CAN BE made from sugar...it's just not cost effective.

Splenda is an acceptable sugar substitute, especially for those who suffer from diabetes and other sugar related issues.

Hope this helps!
  • ♥Lexi♥
    ♥Lexi♥ Posts: 126
    Options
    I'll admit....I used to used sweetners, particularily Splenda. The idea that it is calorie free and tastes great is appealing.
    But the truth about Splenda? Stay away from it. It is assosiated with so many health conditions and mid-section weight gain. Splenda and artifical sweetners are in fact terrible for cardiovascular problems. Also, it kills good brain cells.
    My cousin is a doctor and immediate family members of mine have cardiovascular problems. Once they stopped using it, huge improvement.
    It might be difficult to stop using it, but try your best until you no longer consume Splenda.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    the problem with artificial sweeteners is not necessarily the product itself.. it's what it does to the body. It tricks it, and creates a situation whereby the body continues to crave sugar cause it 'thinks' it is still getting sugar regularly. It 'tastes' sweet, gets ready to start processing sugar, then never does receive the sugar it is ready to work on because the splenda has been chemically altered from sugar into something the body no longer can recognize/absorb. So the body keeps setting itself up, ready to do the work to use that sugar/energy, and it never comes. So instead it leaves you still craving sweet things. Once i stopped using refined sugars and artificial sweeteners as well, i found i actually stopped craving sweet things.

Both my doctor, and my husband's nutritionist (he is diabetic) have told us to not use it if we can help it, and to simply cut back on the real sugars we might use. For this very reason.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    looks like a lot of people giving opinion as fact without sources....
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The Center for Science in the Public Interest says it is safe for people, including pregnant women and kids. That's good enough for me. It does not say that about Aspartame or Ace-K or Nutrasweet or some of the others. That's what I go by.
  • MommyLumpkin
    MommyLumpkin Posts: 129
    Options
    some people believe Splenda can cause cancer b/c A study done on rats where they gave a HUGE amount of splenda to the rats showed this result.

A little known (well covered up?) study done on rats in California showed that, as a species, they are more prone to developing cancer without any outside stimuli. I wish I could find the article where I read that. I should have cut it out and put it in my wallet to pull out every time someone says something gave rats cancer.

For me personally, I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners...i prefer to sweeten my water/tea with natural sweeteners. True Lemon makes some great 5 calorie enhancers that taste great in both.
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like to try to follow Jack Lalane's advice "if man made it, don't eat it".
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I do use Stevia on occasion and am going to transition off the Splenda...if the goal is health, why put chemicals in the bod?