What can I do at home with no equipment?

Options
I'm getting really confused about how I should be exercising to the point where I am using my confusion as justification for not starting anything. I used to use my wii fit to do the hula hoop, aerobics, and also yoga. I've noticed though a lot of advice on here seems to be against cardio. I don't really know what a novice (without equipment or gym membership) should be doing then to get started. I thought about doing squats, but then there seems to be arguments amongst what kind of squat is good, and a lot of emphasis on doing them with "correct form". How am I supposed to know if it's correct or not? I don't have a personal trainer to tell me. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed!

Help!

Replies

• Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do you own a bike? It's easy to start with biking. You can also run outside. There are a lot of aerobics videos online that you could watch too. Whatever gets you up, moving, and burning calories is good. Don't worry too much about having perfect form or anything unless what you're doing could possibly be harmful to your body.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what a novice (without equipment or gym membership) should be doing then to get started. I thought about doing squats, but then there seems to be arguments amongst what kind of squat is good, and a lot of emphasis on doing them with "correct form".

I run and cycle mainly but also use bodyweight resistance training. You can use the You Are Your Own Gym app, or something similar to guide you on form.

• bianca_gardiner
    bianca_gardiner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm downloading that app now and will check it out.

• katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Anything that will get you moving. walking, running, biking. Start slow and progress from there. If you can't run for very long, go as far as you can and then walk the rest, or just start out walking and work your way up to jogging. There are programs to help you progress as well - one is the couch to 5K - commonly called C25K - I think its available online. You can do push ups - modified if you can't do them fully yet, squats, sit ups - all good for strength building. Cardio is a foundation for me and it burns a lot of calories in the process. I've added strength training exercises as I've gone along. Fortunately I have free access to a gym and cross fit (which I've only recently started, but don't find it to burn the calories like strict cardio does), but I still revert to cardio 95% of the time.

If you live where it's harder to exercise outside, I've found that workout videos - do actually provide a good cardio. Jillian Michaels is one trainer that we all love to hate. or any other aerobic workout video. I personally like anything that references boot camp or kickboxing. They typically combine strength exercises with cardio. Walmart or even Best Buy have work out dvds usually or you can probably also find them online.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    oh and fwiw you'll see three main positions on here; all weight lifting, no CV, mix CV and resistance and very infrequently, all CV.

I'm in the middle camp there, for general health and weight loss mix resistance and CV work, although that has to be complementary to your diet. you can't outrun a bad diet.

noting the point above, HIIT has a place but as a newbie you'll get much more from doing something like C25K as suggested above.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Aerobic and strength exercises are both good for you in different ways. You can do a lot at home with things you already have. Light weight work can be somewhat aerobic and combine the two. The web and youtube are full of suggestions, many of them from professional p.t. and fitness folks. For example: https://youtube.com/watch?v=_ok0Mdj3RDM

For example, a pair of tights or a ruined bike innertube can turn into resistance bands. Take a pair of long socks, slip a can of veggies into the foot of each and tie them together. Drape this over your ankle and do leg lifts. When you feel you MUST go spend some money, start with a pair of small handweights/dumbbells from the big box discount store. Start with the smallest size and move up as you feel able.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I walk in our neighborhood and lift heavy things. Lost 121 pounds. Nothing wrong with cardio.
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    I just finished a youtube indoor walking video by Leslie Sansone. It's good for beginners, but she WILL get your heart rate up! Just put her name into the youtube search engine.
  • estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This website posts a good at home workout every day:

http://greatist.com/gwod

They have strength and metabolic ones. Just get moving and force yourself to stop overthinking it! ( I am guilty of this too sometimes)